X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Hook Up an ESC

I was wondering when hooking up an ESC that has no color coded wires if the Red (hot) and the Black is (black) are in line with the battery plug? I have had just had a ESC to burn up upon testing it. Actually cought fire. The motor does have color coded wires. Another question would be what if a motor has no color coded wires?
    Still Learning:D

As I understand it and experience has also shown this, it doesn’t matter whether the colors of wires from the motor match or not the colors of the 3 wires to the ESC or if they aren’t colored at all. You hook the 3 up and see which way the motor turns. If it’s not going in the proper direction, you take 2 of the wires (any 2, doesn’t matter) and switch them and that will reverse the direction of the motor. In a case where an ESC (or motor) gets really hot and/or smokes and/or burns up and dies, has more to do with the soldering job of the wires and connectors or if there is a break in the insulation somewhere that causes a short. There can also be a defective solder in the ESC itself (under the insulating wrapper). Something as simple as a poor solder in a battery connector plug can create abnormal heat build-up not only in the connector, but in the wiring of the components further along.
    The 2 ESC wires to the battery, however, MUST be color matched, as they are positive and negative. Get those wrong and it’s almost a guarantee that you can kiss the ESC (and possibly the motor) bye-bye.

Comment

Thanks xviper, I'm guessing it was a solder in the ESC. I did however put a new ESC (the same kind) and there were no issues. It's the same one from Motion ZTW 45a. The only thing that I couldn't figure out is it seemed to work fine on the bench and when I sat it on the floor it started to smoke. I didn't even run it up at the time. I do think there were some issues with some of these ESC's. I have since flown it with the new ESC and it works fine. Thanks
      Still Learning:D

Comment

Working...
      X