Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

unpowered glider electrical setup

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unpowered glider electrical setup

Does any one know how to connect the battery to the reciever without an ESC? Does a regulator have to be used? I've never set up an unpowered glider, but need to now. Thanks, The Doctor

RE: unpowered glider electrical setup

Originally posted by doctormike
    Does any one know how to connect the battery to the reciever without an ESC? Does a regulator have to be used? I've never set up an unpowered glider, but need to now. Thanks, The Doctor
    That depends entirely on the battery, and what voltage your receiver and servos can tolerate. Back in the day, all flight batteries were 4-cell NiCd, which were nominally 4.8V, and a bit over 6V when fully charged, so all receivers and servos were rated for that. Now, we have high-voltage (HV) receivers and servos, which can tolerate more voltage; there is no standard for HV, however, so read your spec sheets.

If you have a standard voltage range setup, you will either need to find a NiCd flight pack, or use a much lighter LiFe or LiPo battery, with a BEC (battery eliminator circuit) to lower the voltage to 5V. Fully charged, LiFe batteries are 3.6V per cell, so a 2 cell (2S) battery would be 7.2V; a LiPo battery is 4.2V per cell, so 8.4V for a 2S battery. If you have HV equipment, choose the battery that is below the limits, and just plug it in.

At the same capacity in mAh, the LiFe and LiPo are much smaller and lighter than NiCd, which is good in a glider. For reference, my transmitter came with a NiCd pack, at 500mAh, and the LiFe I replaced it with, same size, same weight, is 1500mAh. Some try to use NiMH batteries, as they have the same voltage range as NiCd, and somewhat more capacity, but many cannot provide the current surges that servos can draw, and cause brown-outs, or voltage drops that shut the receiver off momentarily. The same is true of some LiFe batteries, so if that is your choice, make sure you get one that is made for receiver use.

Do some reading, and good luck!

Comment

RE: unpowered glider electrical setup

Well, I figured it out and it's so simple! You just use a BEC between the bat. and rec. The Doctor

Comment

if youre using a 1s battery or 4.2 volts, most receivers run on this voltage so no need for BEC, you can connect straight to your receiver, but make sure your receiver voltages is in fact rated for 4 volts.

DLG GLiders

Comment

Working...
        X