X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High voltage lipo battery

Was watching some YouTube videos and a high voltage lipo battery was being used in a rc airplane. I did some research on it and found they will take 4.35 volts per cell. One company that makes them offer a life time warranty on them. I'm interested in buying one to see how they differ from a regular lipo. If anyone is using them here, please comment on how they perform.

I know this post is a few months old but I just wanted to chime in with info that might help. not all chargers will charge a lipo to 4.35v so that's something to keep in mind. you may have to buy a new charger also. I know that my Icharger 308duo will charge a HV lipo but there is no automatic setting for it. I have to manually turn it up to that and save it as a profile.

Comment

Hey, Skyboom, I’m glad this came back up to the top. When LiHV’s first came out, the reviews were pretty dismal. They tended to puff when pushed even slightly hard and when they ran low on juice, the drop off was very sudden and the motor just quit. After a few cycles, their IR got very pronounced and didn’t seem to last too many cycles. Now, with the acquisition of a Flex Innovations FV-31 Cypher, I’m more interested in the HV LiPos. The Cypher is a 4-EDF VTOL airplane that calls for a 3S battery. At my altitude, it definitely needs more punch and even using high “C” batteries, the performance is only acceptable. I wanted to try going 4s but I’m worried that the ESCs or the motors won’t take it for very long under the heavy load of hovering. Upping the cell count on a 4s, 5s or 6s system isn’t so bad but I’ve learned the hard way that doing it on a 3s system is just too risky. It’s a fairly expensive plane so I don’t want to burn something up. Then the idea of the LiHV came to mind and since it’s been a while from when they first came out, I’m hoping that their performance have improved. The ones I’m looking at are the Gens Ace HV and the HobbyKing Bolt HV. I’m going to get a couple in the New Year and give it a try. It so happens that my RevoLectrix chargers has a setting for LiHV batteries so I’m set to go.
      I’m thinking the extra 0.45 total volts could net me just a bit more top end rpm without getting too close to the “implosion” point of the power train. I guess I’ll find out in a couple of months.

Comment

Thanks Dave. I checked my charger and in the PROGRAM SELECT there is LiHV setting. It's a Prodigy 610 ez charger. I looked at your FV-31 Cypher aircraft and it looks amazing. I hope you upload a video one day of it.I'm going to hold off till the new year in purchasing the battery. I'm not sure what plane to put it in yet. I had 2 bad crashes this weekend at our field, do to windy conditions. The Artic Cat did the death spiral from 40 feet, It's getting overhauled when I get motivated. The Vampire nose ripped in half in some tall grass as well. Keep us posted on how the new battery performs, P.S. The Prime jet is to heavy to lift off the tarmac. I'll have to swap the motor mount out.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboom View Post
          Thanks Dave. I checked my charger and in the PROGRAM SELECT there is LiHV setting. It's a Prodigy 610 ez charger. I looked at your FV-31 Cypher aircraft and it looks amazing. I hope you upload a video one day of it.I'm going to hold off till the new year in purchasing the battery. I'm not sure what plane to put it in yet. I had 2 bad crashes this weekend at our field, do to windy conditions. The Artic Cat did the death spiral from 40 feet, It's getting overhauled when I get motivated. The Vampire nose ripped in half in some tall grass as well. Keep us posted on how the new battery performs, P.S. The Prime jet is to heavy to lift off the tarmac. I'll have to swap the motor mount out.
          Actually, I did a video of my second flight of the Cypher. I'll just put up a link for it so as to not go off topic too much.
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

When I get those batteries and give one a try, I'll post my impressions about it here.
          The Prime Jet is sort of like a FunJet, right? I take it you put gear on it? My old Funjet was on 4s and I just threw it. Augered it into the dirt one day when I was flying it with too much gusto. Never got another one.

Comment

Cool video. It's similar to the Funjet. It's part of Hobbyking's glue and go series. Funny thing is I found an old Japanese zero plane in a tree near our field. I managed to knock it out of the tree, by throwing a piece of branch at it. I'm thinking of using the 70 amp esc and motor to power the Artic Cat. I haven't tested any of it yet, but I'll get around to this week. Maybe I'll go ahead and purchase a high volt battery for it. Fingers crossed everything works ok.

Comment

i need to correct my previous reply. apparently there has been a firmware update for my Icharger 308duo. it now has a LiHV setting standard. not that it was hard to make one manually. but now it's included with the newer chargers.

Comment

Was wondering about servo buzzing with the high voltage battery. One of my flying wings buzzes like crazy on a full hot pack. Then the buzzing calms down after a short flight. Maybe it's just the stock servos looking for its center all the time. The servos perform ok, so I'll just leave them in there for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboom View Post
                  Was wondering about servo buzzing with the high voltage battery. One of my flying wings buzzes like crazy on a full hot pack. Then the buzzing calms down after a short flight. Maybe it's just the stock servos looking for its center all the time. The servos perform ok, so I'll just leave them in there for now.
                  Unless I’m wrong, I don’t think the BEC pushes out any different voltage to the RX, regardless of whether or not you are using a HV battery. I use a 3s LiPo battery to power a BEC that I use to work a servo tester and also to power a RX for binding. Even though the battery puts out over 12 volts, the BEC regulates that down to around 5V. I can use a 2s LiPo and the BEC still puts out 5V. The buzzing servo must be related to something else and may or may not be an issue. Some digital servos (eg. Eflite) typically buzz. I’ve also had analog ones buzz, too.

Comment

I am also tryinghigh-voltage batteries, and I still feel strange

Comment

Originally posted by Gray View Post
                      I am also tryinghigh-voltage batteries, and I still feel strange
                      Please explain.

Comment

Greetings, folks. I want to upgrade the stock batteries for my Heng Long Abrams, Sherman and King Tiger tanks. What would you recommend Admiral 5000mAh 2S 7.4V 50C LiPo Battery with EC5 Connector? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JDMac761stBP View Post
                          Greetings, folks. I want to upgrade the stock batteries for my Heng Long Abrams, Sherman and King Tiger tanks. What would you recommend Admiral 5000mAh 2S 7.4V 50C LiPo Battery with EC5 Connector? Thanks.
                          If you read Alpha's reviews on all three of those...…………...why????

Heng Long 1/16 Scale "M4A3 Sherman" WW2 Tank, Upgrade Edition Click image for larger version Name: mastera.jpg Views: 1 Size: 123.3 KB ID: 222679 Introduction: Recognized as a war winning weapon that helped secure victory in World War II, the M4 Sherman was a light infantry support tank that evolved into a

Heng Long 1/16 Scale "King Tiger" German WW2 Tank 8.jpg Introduction: One of the largest tanks fielded in WW2, the Tiger II or "King Tiger" was built around a fearsome 88mm cannon, capable of piercing every type of Allied armor at over 1,000 yards. First deployed along the defensive lines following

All three will run 20-25 minutes on the stock 1800mAh LiPo. I doubt that you'll even be able to put a 5000 in them and the EC5 isn't the correct power connector.
                          The 2s battery uses a Tamiya-style connector for main power.

Best regards,

Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

If you read Alpha's reviews on all three of those...…………...why????

Heng Long 1/16 Scale "M4A3 Sherman" WW2 Tank, Upgrade Edition Click image for larger version Name: mastera.jpg Views: 1 Size: 123.3 KB ID: 222679 Introduction: Recognized as a war winning weapon that helped secure victory in World War II, the M4 Sherman was a light infantry support tank that evolved into a

Heng Long 1/16 Scale "King Tiger" German WW2 Tank 8.jpg Introduction: One of the largest tanks fielded in WW2, the Tiger II or "King Tiger" was built around a fearsome 88mm cannon, capable of piercing every type of Allied armor at over 1,000 yards. First deployed along the defensive lines following

All three will run 20-25 minutes on the stock 1800mAh LiPo. I doubt that you'll even be able to put a 5000 in them and the EC5 isn't the correct power connector.
                            The 2s battery uses a Tamiya-style connector for main power.

Best regards,

Yes. That was brought to my attention earlier. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X