X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warming your Lipo before flight

We had a decussation down our field today about warming your lipo before a flight ( in these winter months )and if this had any benefits to a better flight . I was not sold on the idea ,surely the lipo warms up in flight so what is the big deal about warming them up .One of our members has a warming bag he puts he's lipo in before a flight and it is set at 30 c .He swears by it .Me I think it is just another gimmick just to get you to buy these warming bags but I am not the most up to date person on all this mumbo jumbo .Be interested to find out from someone with a bit more knowledge on this subject .I am all for getting the best from my lipo but not sure you need a warming bag ,just stick them in a nice warm car untill you need them

For Me I charge my battery's at the field so they warm up that way. R.
    AMA 424553

Comment

Cap M........................LiPo's do perform better when the cells aren't transitioning from below 40F(5C).
      The low-temperature environment will reduce the activity of lithium ions(which is good for long term storage), the LiPo battery rated discharge capacity will be weak, and the use time will be shortened.
      The warming bags are a pure marketing gimmick that is unless your standing on an ice covered river and your transport vehicle is a couple hundreds yards away.
      Keeping the LiPo's nearby in a vehicle that has a warmer ambient temp (because of the drive there) than the brisk air your standing in is what most folks do and then grab one when needed.
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

In the cold months here in the NE, I often take my batteries to the field in a smallish ice chest. I put the batteries inside with a slightly warm to the touch (not hot) rubber water bottle. This has sufficient water volume so that it doesn't cool off too fast. I just use tap water at around 70F to 85F . Keeps them warm for several hours.

Comment

With these batteries, you're "damned if you do and you're damned if you don't". Meaning, too cold and they lose efficiency. Too hot and they lose efficiency.
          When I go to the field in winter (and I fly as cold as -5C), I keep my batteries in my tool box in the front seat of the car where the greenhouse effect can keep everything "warmish". The tables aren't too far from the car and I take out only one battery at a time. I don't usually wait too long after the battery goes into the plane before I'm ready to take off. I've seen some guys carry a couple of batteries inside their inner pockets to keep them from getting too cold. Some even run the motor for 1/2 minute before taking off to get the battery warmed up a bit.
          Then in summer, I keep my tool box (batteries) in the shade.

Comment

charging it will warm it up. the guys that race rc cars(the guys you see in magazines) will fast charge their lipo's at 2 or more C to warm them up. thats indoor racing too.

Comment

Working...
            X