X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by serpentracer View Post

I was pointing out to xviper that the deans knock off may be made of poor materials. that was clearly done by someone with no soldering experience. that was a hilarious picture. I thank you for sharing it. gave me a good laugh. I find that the people with planes tend to be a more serious crowd with the hobby. a lot of them clearly have jobs that they make or design things. it takes a lot more skill and discipline to fly than it does to just bash around a car in the yard. racing an RC vehicle is also way harder than it appears. and these guys spend money like they print it themselves.
    How does that explain the solder job? Believe it or not that was done by a professor who teaches engineering here in town

Mike
    \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Originally posted by MikeT View Post

How does that explain the solder job? Believe it or not that was done by a professor who teaches engineering here in town

Mike
      Now THAT's quite remarkable AND funny! The first career of my life (20 years worth) was managing a medical research lab where I was surrounded by pHD's, professors and post graduates working towards their "phuddy-duddies". Very smart and often times, brilliant minds but when it came to "every day smarts", skills and common sense, they were like children and social virgins. I can envision any one of those highly educated people doing a solder job just like the picture shown. I'm not saying that I can do a better job (well, maybe a bit better) but when it comes to soldering connectors, I change Deans over to the EC type. I would be embarrassed to take a picture of such work unless it was to provide comic relief for others.
      As far as whether or not a Deans is a knock-off or the "real thing", it's by their very design that makes them more difficult to do a good solder than those with a built-in solder well, like the EC and XT types.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
        Now THAT's quite remarkable AND funny! The first career of my life (20 years worth) was managing a medical research lab where I was surrounded by pHD's, professors and post graduates working towards their "phuddy-duddies". Very smart and often times, brilliant minds but when it came to "every day smarts", skills and common sense, they were like children and social virgins. I can envision any one of those highly educated people doing a solder job just like the picture shown. I'm not saying that I can do a better job (well, maybe a bit better) but when it comes to soldering connectors, I change Deans over to the EC type. I would be embarrassed to take a picture of such work unless it was to provide comic relief for others.
        As far as whether or not a Deans is a knock-off or the "real thing", it's by their very design that makes them more difficult to do a good solder than those with a built-in solder well, like the EC and XT types.
        There's a HUGE difference between Theory and Real Life. I know a bunch of "smart" guys who don't know squat. I started with deans and once the XT and EC I dumped the the deans.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeT View Post

Mike
          nothing I ever commented on was defending the solder job. I though we were talking about the deans not being able to carry a high current. I simply wanted to point out if that was the connector that had issues it may be because it's not a real deans connector. that's all. the only drawback to a deans connector in a large fast vehicle like a 1/8 scale race buggy is they tend to come undone if not strapped down.

there are many kinds of engineering. doesn't mean he teaches soldering or has any kind of knowledge of electronics. and if a soldering job has any bearing on pay grade call my employer and tell them I'm highly underpaid lol

Comment

Originally posted by serpentracer View Post

nothing I ever commented on was defending the solder job. I though we were talking about the deans not being able to carry a high current. I simply wanted to point out if that was the connector that had issues it may be because it's not a real deans connector. that's all. the only drawback to a deans connector in a large fast vehicle like a 1/8 scale race buggy is they tend to come undone if not strapped down.

there are many kinds of engineering. doesn't mean he teaches soldering or has any kind of knowledge of electronics. and if a soldering job has any bearing on pay grade call my employer and tell them I'm highly underpaid lol
            I get it but regardless of if the connector was a knock off or not there's no excuse for a solder job like that. All I know is that someone is paying this guy to teach and that's a joke. People who can do , people that can't teach.

Mike

Comment

Working...
            X