X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to keep batteries while in storage

Hey guys, batteries that are not being actively used (in storage) should I keep them in a refrigerator or on a shelf in my shop?
    any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't keep them out in the open like on a shelf. I have seen lipos dropped on hard surface and explode before. LiPo's should be secured in a fireproof container of some sort. I have a metal tool box surrounded by ceramic tile in a corner of my basement I use to store my lipos.

Here is an excerpt from a great article with the link below:

""""In the old days, we used to run our cars or airplanes until the batteries died, then just set the batteries on the shelf at home, waiting for the next time we could use them. We just stored them dead. But you should not do that with LiPo batteries. Nor should LiPo batteries be stored at full charge, either. For the longest life of the batteries, LiPos should be stored at room temperature at 3.8V per cell. Most modern computerized chargers have a LiPo Storage function that will either charge the batteries up to that voltage, or discharge them down to that voltage, whichever is necessary.

Proper LiPo Storage Voltage = 3.8V per cell

I recommend to our customers that they put their LiPo batteries in storage mode after every run. This isn't necessary per se, but it does build up good habits. If you do it every time, you don't have to worry about whether or not you remembered to put it in storage. I have had many customers come to me with batteries that died because they charged it up, intending to use it, but life got in the way and they never remembered to put it back to storage voltage. Lithium-Polymer batteries can be damaged by sitting fully charged for as little as a week. This doesn't mean they will get damaged every time you leave them for over a week. It just means they can, and I've seen it happen. So don't forget to put your LiPos at storage voltage when you're done using them.

They should also be stored in a fireproof container of some sort. As I mentioned above, most people tend toward leaving their LiPos in a LiPo bag, as they are portable and protect your workshop from catching fire should the LiPo combust. I have also seen people use empty ammo boxes, fireproof safes, and ceramic flower pots. Whatever you have (or can buy) that will prevent any fire from spreading will be worth it in the unlikely event that anything untoward should happen.

I feel the need to reiterate: the most common problem people have with LiPo batteries is a direct result of improper storage. When a LiPo battery sits for a long period of time (and not at proper storage voltage), it tends to discharge itself. If it drops below 3.0V per cell, the vast majority of LiPo chargers will not charge it. Sometimes, batteries with this problem can be rehabilitated, but just as often, they are a lost cause. So again: if you take a 'laissez-faire' approach to the storage of your LiPo batteries, it's entirely likely that you will be purchasing new batteries sooner than you think.""""

Link : https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide

Comment

Thank you Mr James. I appreciate the insight as I recently retired and am gearing up to fly, fly, fly which involves replacing several “dead” batteries.

Comment

Oh, btw, thanks for the link to the Lipo guide. Yes, I printed it and saved a pdf too. Good stuff!

Comment

lipo's don't need to be stored in metal ammo boxes in concrete bunkers for christ sakes. some people are way too paranoid. you think they warehouse them like that? lol. come on guys. time to use you brain for a second. the only time a lipo is treated like that is in the home of the owner. the manufacture, distributor and the retail chain never stores lipos like the paranoid internet guy does. lol

store them in a cool dry place at a charge of 3.85v per cell. this is how they come brand new. this is the optimal storage charge. I keep mine in a padded storage box I bought from harbor freight along with my charger.

Comment

Working...
          X