X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your advice about chargers.

H, I’m new to Edfs, which includes the batteries and chargers. I need a charger. One that can balance charge 2 batteries at a time. Probably never need more then that. I will be running 6s 4500 mah 30C Lipo in a Eflite Viper. Don’t want to spend a fortune for one. I have been flying for more then 30 years but this is all new to me. Appreciate any suggestions and links. Thanks guys.

I have a Hitec that will balance charge an is capable to charge 2 to 6s lipos. I like it so much that I bought a second charger.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post
      I have a Hitec that will balance charge an is capable to charge 2 to 6s lipos. I like it so much that I bought a second charger.
      Thanks for the input. I didn’t know Hitec made chargers, will check them out.

Comment

MotionRC sells dual chargers for a reasonable price. Just remember, the lower the price, generally the lower the wattage and the longer it takes to complete a charge. Check to make sure the charger will do 2 6s batteries, in the size you use, at the same time without over-taxing it. If so, it'll just keep turning itself off before it's done and you'll have to go back to doing only one at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
          MotionRC sells dual chargers for a reasonable price. Just remember, the lower the price, generally the lower the wattage and the longer it takes to complete a charge. Check to make sure the charger will do 2 6s batteries, in the size you use, at the same time without over-taxing it. If so, it'll just keep turning itself off before it's done and you'll have to go back to doing only one at a time.
          Good to know. Thank you...

Comment

I have 2 of the SkyRC D400 chargers, sold by Motion RC. One for the field and one for the shop. Both have performed flawlessly. They also have many "nice to have" features.

It's a good idea to buy a charger with a larger capacity than you currently need. It's less stress on the charger and it allows for you to move up to larger batteries if that time comes.

These chargers have handled my two 6S 8000mah at 1C, at the same time, without any problems at all.

Comment

For what it's worth, I use the Prodigy 610 Quad by Proteck that was purchased from A Main Hobby. I actually have 2 of them, along with 3 older single charge Thunder Chargers. I really like the ProTeck machines and all these allow me to charge 11 batteries at once (4 on each ProTeck). When I go to the field, I generally take at least 4 planes/jets and 20 batteries or more, the majority are 4000-6250 mah 6S packs and I do not like to charge at the field (more flying time). I use the ProTeck chargers almost exclusively for the 5000 and greater 6S batteries (although they charged anything from 1S-6S). I charge them all the night before I go, so get all 20 done in just a couple of hours.

I know many use the Revolectric chargers, which are outstanding, but not cheap, but I didn't like hooking up all the adapters and stuff. Plus, each ProTeck has 4 seperate balance cables and 4 seperate volt cables, one for each battery. It also has completely independent charge screens and controls for each battery, which makes it quite simple for this simple minded guy. The ProTeck cost about $240 and is capable of charging up to 10 amps, or 100 watts per side, which of course depends on the voltage of the battery. Watts/Volts=Amps. So a maximum of 100 watts on a 6S 25.2 volt battery=maximum charge rate of 4 amps for this charger. It will charge a 4S at 6 amps. There are other chargers out there that will charge at a higher rate, but as xviper says, the cost of those machines increase as well. I get my 6S 6250 mah batteries fully balanced charged (from 40% starting point) in about 1 hour, which is fine for me since I'm charging 11 at a time.

That's just my 2 cents.
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

11 batteries at once ........................ I can do 6 at once and that's already got my head spinning. Hugh, you're a charging animal.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                    I have 2 of the SkyRC D400 chargers, sold by Motion RC. One for the field and one for the shop. Both have performed flawlessly. They also have many "nice to have" features.

It's a good idea to buy a charger with a larger capacity than you currently need. It's less stress on the charger and it allows for you to move up to larger batteries if that time comes.

These chargers have handled my two 6S 8000mah at 1C, at the same time, without any problems at all.
                    TwoWings,
                    Regarding the 'Nice to Have Features', would you please expand on which features you're referring to. I too would like to learn more.

For example, I've discovered that my charger provides a great feature; the internal resistance of each cell as well as the min, max, and total voltage. I'm sure the chargers above have this feature too but and additional info you and the others could provide this electrical novice would be appreciated. Case in point; whenever I purchase new batteries I immediately check their internal resistance upon receipt. I can't tell you how many 'great' batteries I've had to get refunds for because the IR of 1 or more cells is not even close to being matched to the other cells.And with 6s costing $100 each it's a 'Nice to Have feature'.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                    X