X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti S vs Havoc Xe on 6S SMC vs HRB vs GensAce LiPos

I just received my MiG-29 a couple days ago and wanted to develop my own opinion on the batteries I have so I know what to buy more of...or maybe look for something else to try.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1176_reduced.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	279811

First, I will compare the two planes:
    • Cost: When the Havoc Xe wasn't on clearance, it was similarly priced ($370) to the Avanti S PnP ($355)
    • Stability: Both planes have the AR9350 with the gyro going all the time, the Avanti is much more predictable, balanced, and confidence-inspiring
    • Flight Time: All I have is 6S 5000-5500 mAh LiPos, and the Avanti gets 3:30 flight time, the Havoc Xe gets 5:00
    • Takeoff: I fly off of paved and synthetic runways, the Havoc Xe is a bit more 'darty', the Avanti is a bit tamer. Both get off in <200ft, I'd say the Avanti is a little quicker.
    • Aerobatics: I like to do smooth high-speed rolls, low passes, inverted, all like ~50 ft down the runway, mixed with vertical maneuvering on the ends, some low high speed turns, then as the battery wears down, transition to lower passes with the flaps down, maybe a touch-and-go, then land. The Avanti can do it all and not make me flinch. The Havoc Xe...I am comfortable doing 80% of it, the rest is 'an exercise' I'd say.
    • Word on the Street: Most of the time I hear people talking about the Havoc Xe, it is accompanied by a story of a crash. When I flew my Avanti S last weekend, I was one of four identical ones, not a single person had an issue. A fellow member had a new-to-him Havoc Xe, guess what, first flight he had a landing incident.
    • Bottom Line: The Havoc Xe can definitely be tamed, I am never afraid to fly mine - don't get me wrong, but it is more heads-up than the Avanti S and my flight routine isn't as low and entertaining as it is with the Avanti.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1177.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	279810

Next, let's compare the batteries on my scale and what I paid:
    • SMC 60C 5200mAh - 750/756g - $125 each
    • GensAce 60C 5500mAh - 808/810g - $130 each
    • HRB 50/100C 5000 mAh - 746/746g - $70 each
    Comparison in the planes:
    • Havoc Xe: Both SMC and HRB were noticeably lighter than the GensAce in the air and made the plane have slightly more vertical power. If I had to say one was best, I'd say the HRB, I just feel like it really woke the plane up, so much that I ran the battery down below 20.0V (whoops!) but it landed fine. When I have done that on the GensAce, it was almost game over, very little power and it dropped fast! None of the batteries were warm aside from the HRB that I took too low, but that was my fault, and it was barely warmer than the other two. Comparing the 3, I'd say the GensAce made the plane feel heavy and didn't give any favors for extra power, the SMC and HRB felt similar and felt as good as I think the Havoc Xe can be. Maybe 4500's or lower would help more, but I don't have those...
    • Avanti S: This plane needs the discharge rate and power in my opinion (just note the delta in flight time vs the Havoc Xe above). The HRB and SMC both made the plane feel light and nimble, both worked well and gave great power to weight for the airplane itself. If I had to guess, I felt like the SMC had a little more punch toward the end of the flight vs both others, but only slight. This was going around after some touch-n-go's and low passes with flaps down.

What Next?
    • More Testing!: I'll continue to update this thread with results from these planes (and the MiG29)
    • I'd love to try the Roaring Top 70C 5500mAh or 35C 5800mAh, but am worried about the weight
    • Should I get the RT's, more SMC's or HRB's, or try something else?
Working...
X