You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8S system to drive a 3-6S center burner, what voltage from balance leads?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8S system to drive a 3-6S center burner, what voltage from balance leads?

Hi all,

I have an 8S system from connecting two 4S batteries in series. When I check the balance leads on each battery when connected and powering the model, every cell adds approx 4V so they read 16V each (depending on charge of course). This is perfect I thought, I plug in an FrSky MLVSS (telemetry Voltmeter) on one battery and the center burner gets its power from the other.

I fried the 1-6S voltmeter straight away but the center burner worked, but only for a while. So then I decided to take the power to the center burner from the the pin closest to ground on one battery, thinking it would be max 5S, but a bright blue spark told me that is not the case. So now to my question: When connected in series, how much voltage do I get on each pin on the batteries? My voltmeter says 4-16V on each battery, but my burnt telemetry voltmeter and center burner are contradicting this. So how does it work and how to fix it?

Grateful for any input.
    /Tobias

Are you sure you had the correct polarity when you hooked up the burner? Do you have a multimeter with sharp probes? Use it to determine how much voltage you are getting based on where you put the probes (on the balance lead) when hooked up the way it is when you fly the plane.
    Anyway, knowing what you now know, perhaps it might be wise to use a small auxiliary LiPo in a 3s (or whatever the burner runs on) about 1000mah just to power it. That should power the burner for 3 or 4 flights.

Comment

Good point! I will make sure I have the correct polarity. The Idea with a small 3S battery is good, but space is a problem in the Gripen, will look into it.

Comment

Working...
      X