X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After burner ring problems

Hey guys, just installed the rc castle 80mm ring in my freewing goshawk, looks great with servo tester hooked up, however, when I plugged into my 8's setup, the wires going to the balance lead for power of ther ring started to smoke and melt, unplugged quickly. Hooked up just like manual described, made new wire connections to the circuit board, tried again on servo tester with a 6s pack and it worked great, when I tried to hook back up with the 8's setup I have again, same result, can any one please help me and tell me what could be going wrong. I'm using the ZTW 150 hv ESC, ZTW ubec and two admiral 5000mah 4s 60c batteries , thanks

You are getting too much voltage to the ring... You have two batteries in series to get to 8 cell voltage. When you plug in to one of the packs (4 cell) the other pack is feeding back thru and you are putting 8 cell voltage into the AB ring....
    At least that is what I think is going on... Especially since 6 cell is working it OK.... Hope this may help! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jmiz914 View Post
      Hey guys, just installed the rc castle 80mm ring in my freewing goshawk, looks great with servo tester hooked up, however, when I plugged into my 8's setup, the wires going to the balance lead for power of ther ring started to smoke and melt, unplugged quickly. Hooked up just like manual described, made new wire connections to the circuit board, tried again on servo tester with a 6s pack and it worked great, when I tried to hook back up with the 8's setup I have again, same result, can any one please help me and tell me what could be going wrong. I'm using the ZTW 150 hv ESC, ZTW ubec and two admiral 5000mah 4s 60c batteries , thanks
      Hmm, these 3 color RCLander AB kits (is that the type your have?) should be good for up to 10S Voltage. Can you provide pictures of exactly how you have things wired? That may be easier to see if we can provide some tips on what might be wrong.

Many of us have or are still using these AB rings on our jets, so hopefully we'll see something.
      Instagram: @tcat.rc.creations

Comment

This ring is a rc castle cyclone for 80 mm jet, however my goshawk is a 90mm but the 80 fit great with little modifications. My two admiral 5000mah 60c 4 s batteries are wired in series to the ESC once plugged in. Ring worked great with servo tester and with an external power system that came out of hawk. Original system was a 6's 90mm edf with factory 130 amp ESC with external ubec that was already wired in to ec5 connector. With this system hooked up and ring plugged into balance lead on admiral 5000mah 50c 6's battery, all worked great on table. I converted this plane to a 90mm edf inrunner, the ZTW 150 hv ESC, ZTW ubec, and 8's power. With ESC unplugged from batteries, ring would work while plugged into balance plug on 4's battery, when I plugged in ESC, the wires going from balance plug to power ring, immediately started to smoke, and melt. This is a 2 plug connection, one red and one black wire of which plugs into balance lead. One pin on plug goes to black wire on balance plug and the red pin goes into 3rd cell hole in plug as per manual. The description on web site say this ring is capable of working with up to an 8's system. So why the melting wires?? It's really working my brain and just don't get it. Thanks for all the help with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmiz914 View Post
          This ring is a rc castle cyclone for 80 mm jet, however my goshawk is a 90mm but the 80 fit great with little modifications. My two admiral 5000mah 60c 4 s batteries are wired in series to the ESC once plugged in. Ring worked great with servo tester and with an external power system that came out of hawk. Original system was a 6's 90mm edf with factory 130 amp ESC with external ubec that was already wired in to ec5 connector. With this system hooked up and ring plugged into balance lead on admiral 5000mah 50c 6's battery, all worked great on table. I converted this plane to a 90mm edf inrunner, the ZTW 150 hv ESC, ZTW ubec, and 8's power. With ESC unplugged from batteries, ring would work while plugged into balance plug on 4's battery, when I plugged in ESC, the wires going from balance plug to power ring, immediately started to smoke, and melt. This is a 2 plug connection, one red and one black wire of which plugs into balance lead. One pin on plug goes to black wire on balance plug and the red pin goes into 3rd cell hole in plug as per manual. The description on web site say this ring is capable of working with up to an 8's system. So why the melting wires?? It's really working my brain and just don't get it. Thanks for all the help with this.
          Not a problem at all. Happy to try to help. Do you have it wired up like the attached picture that ParkRC provided? Make sure the negative wire on the prongs is plugged into the negative wire on the LiPo's balance tab. That's crucial otherwise it can short out. Also, be sure the opposing side with the two white plugs are correct and attached with the corresponding colors properly in place.

You can also try shipping off the prongs of the circuit board power wires and then soldering them directly to the main red and black corresponding power wires of the ESC (not the series connection) just as a person would if they were soldering on an external BEC. You would then not be using the balance tabs of the LiPo for power since those wires are now directly soldered to the ESC power wires.

Show a picture of your wiring of the circuit board connections of the AB if you have time.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks T-Cat for all you time and info, I'm gonna try resodering these wires today and try this again, maby I did plug up wrong, as soon as I get things done I'll get back to ya and let you know the status, thanks again and stay tuned

Comment

I'm looking forward to hearing the results. I hope it works out for you :Cool:.

Comment

Hey again T-Cat...so, after getting wires re-done, plugged in to servo tester with a 6's battery, using balance plug, proper polarity and all worked great, now for the real test, plugged in ESC to battery packs and slowly went to plug in power lead from circuit board on afterburner ring, made sure polarity was correct, and upon inserting plug into balance plug on 4's pack in series, a spark so I quickly pulled out. Now, I got brace and tried it in the other battery balance plug and wala, all worked perfectly. So here's the question...why does it work perfectly plugged into that balance plug but not the other??? The difference to me is, the one EC5 connector which the anti spark wire from ESC soldered in line to,is the ec5 connector plugged into battery that's causing a problem, the other ec5 connector with ubec wired to is the one going to the battery that seems to work fine and not short out. This crap is baffling my brain. All I can come up with is that the anti spark part of all of this is causing a problem somehow. Again, here is a photo of how ESC is wired up with anti spark and ibex for a series connection to batteries, thank you very much for your thoughts and getting back with me, and now the thought process begins.......

Comment

Hello J............What is the red wire feeding that is tapped into the red/black power wire splice?
                  Pic in post 8 is same as in post 4 :Confused:
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10, Sea Fury FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6,T-33, P-51 VQ P-39 Dynam ME-262, FW-190, Waco ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150

Comment

It's an anti spark wire coming from the ZTW 150 amp hv ESC

Comment

Is the anti-spark circuit permanently attached? If so that could be your problem.
                      The instructions for the ZTW Gecko 150A OPTO show a diagram that has a connector on the anti-spark line in-between the battery line and the ESC.
                      https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...s/geckoesc.pdf
                      The instructions want you to disconnect this anti-spark line after the battery is connected before taking any further steps.
                      The diagram and verbiage are on page 3 of the instructions with step #4 of the paragraph "Connecting your Anti-spark Circuit" being what I suspect your issue is if your not doing so.
                      That's about the best long distance troubleshooting I can provide.;)
                      Warbird Charlie
                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10, Sea Fury FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6,T-33, P-51 VQ P-39 Dynam ME-262, FW-190, Waco ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150

Comment

That may be something good to look at , thanks so much for the recommendation, I'm on it

Comment

Working...
                        X