X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admiral RX1000 Bind Issues

Hello, I’m having an issue getting my new 10 Ch Admiral to bind to my DX6. This is the first non-spektrum Rx that I have tried but I can’t figure out how to get it into bind mode for my new B24. I have the bind plug in, BEC plugged in next to that, and the throttle channel plugged with two batteries connected but there are no Rx lights coming on at all, and I get a pretty instant failed bind.

Any ideas what I may be missing here?

Originally posted by TLewis95 View Post
    Hello, I’m having an issue getting my new 10 Ch Admiral to bind to my DX6. This is the first non-spektrum Rx that I have tried but I can’t figure out how to get it into bind mode for my new B24. I have the bind plug in, BEC plugged in next to that, and the throttle channel plugged with two batteries connected but there are no Rx lights coming on at all, and I get a pretty instant failed bind.

Any ideas what I may be missing here?
    If I read you correctly, you have another BEC plugged into the port next to the bind port? The two ports labelled bind is for 1. BIND and 2. BIND for high speed servos. You shouldn't have anything plugged into the one next to the BIND port, let alone a BEC since the throttle plug has the red wire for powering the RX from the internal BECs of each ESC. So, why do you have another BEC at all? Hopefully, you haven't fried something.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
      If I read you correctly, you have another BEC plugged into the port next to the bind port? The two ports labelled bind is for 1. BIND and 2. BIND for high speed servos. You shouldn't have anything plugged into the one next to the BIND port, let alone a BEC since the throttle plug has the red wire for powering the RX from the internal BECs of each ESC. So, why do you have another BEC at all? Hopefully, you haven't fried something.
      Interesting. That would be good to know. I tried it first with just the bind plug in but it was pretty obvious that it wasn’t getting power so I put the BEC lead (I guess the B24 comes with an independent UBEC as well for another battery?) but that didn’t work either. I never heard or smelt and fried electronics, but I’m thinking now that my bind plugs may have a poor connection on the board. Of course I can only get one of the screws out of the case so I can’t visually check, but there is over 1/16” of slop both directions on both bind ports. I’m about to just send it back and stay with Spektrum Rx’s that have never let me down.

Comment

Originally posted by TLewis95 View Post

Interesting. That would be good to know. I tried it first with just the bind plug in but it was pretty obvious that it wasn’t getting power so I put the BEC lead (I guess the B24 comes with an independent UBEC as well for another battery?) but that didn’t work either. I never heard or smelt and fried electronics, but I’m thinking now that my bind plugs may have a poor connection on the board. Of course I can only get one of the screws out of the case so I can’t visually check, but there is over 1/16” of slop both directions on both bind ports. I’m about to just send it back and stay with Spektrum Rx’s that have never let me down.
        Planes like the B-24 should have built-in BECs in each ESC. They don't need another battery for power. Power comes from the flight battery and the internal circuits of the ESC splits off what the BEC needs. Use the "normal" bind port, plug in the throttle input and hook up the flight battery. Make sure all polarity is correct. A reversed plug won't do anything and worst case scenario, something gets cooked even if you don't see or smell anything. Plugging in another BEC with its own battery is a very bad thing if you didn't disable the stock BECs (ie, cutting or removing the middle red wire from the throttle plug).
        When you plug the throttle cable into the RX and plug in the flight battery, that provides power to the receiver. With the bind plug installed, when you plug in the flight battery, the RX should immediately start flashing indication that it's ready for you to turn on the TX with the bind button pushed. It should then bind within a few seconds. Let go the bind button and take out the bind plug. Done. You can now de-power everything.

Comment

Planes like the B-24 should have built-in BECs in each ESC. They don't need another battery for power. Power comes from the flight battery and the internal circuits of the ESC splits off what the BEC needs. Use the "normal" bind port, plug in the throttle input and hook up the flight battery. Make sure all polarity is correct. A reversed plug won't do anything and worst case scenario, something gets cooked even if you don't see or smell anything. Plugging in another BEC with its own battery is a very bad thing if you didn't disable the stock BECs (ie, cutting or removing the middle red wire from the throttle plug).
          When you plug the throttle cable into the RX and plug in the flight battery, that provides power to the receiver. With the bind plug installed, when you plug in the flight battery, the RX should immediately start flashing indication that it's ready for you to turn on the TX with the bind button pushed. It should then bind within a few seconds. Let go the bind button and take out the bind plug. Done. You can now de-power everything.
          The B-24 has an external BEC, the ESCs don't have BECs.
          TiredIron Aviation
          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Going to a separate single BEC (or separate RX battery) avoids potential issues that arise with many ESC's BECs when you try to parallel them.

Even Castle recommends you NOT parallel the BECs without ensuring they can't backfeed each other (which overheats the BEC and shuts down the ESC in under 1 minute when it happens)
            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

The B-24 has an external BEC, the ESCs don't have BECs.
              I haven't examined plane yet. It's still in the box. I can only go by what the manual says on page 7 and it doesn't indicate an external BEC. I could only go by what information was available to me.

Comment

I haven't examined plane yet. It's still in the box. I can only go by what the manual says on page 7 and it doesn't indicate an external BEC. I could only go by what information was available to me.
                The manuals are good for CG....sometimes:Silly:
                TiredIron Aviation
                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I'm quoting my own reply to correct information. I just opened up my B-24 and examined it and yes, indeed, it has an external BEC that's soldered onto one of the flight battery power leads. This is not indicated in the manual. That being the case, then plug in to throttle cable (proper polarity), plug the external BEC into any of the other ports (for now and in proper polarity), install bind plug into the "normal" bind port, connect flight battery, turn on TX with bind button held.

(As an aside ................. Multis from Dynam have had their BECs paralleled for years. I've flown them like this for years without ever seeing any negative effects.)

Comment

Dynam puts a little device in the RX-ESC line that acts to prevent the backfeed issue (most of the time) I've had those fail so I normally disable the BEC's on Dynam twins and go to a (small, light) LiFe for the RX.

If you go without that little circuit on EITHER ESC, you WILL have a single engine out.

Comment

(As an aside ................. Multis from Dynam have had their BECs paralleled for years. I've flown them like this for years without ever seeing any negative effects.)
                      I'm guessing those were the 30-40A ESC equipped twins? They had linear BEC's which will play together for the most part on 3S but trying to voltage drop 4S applications from 16V to 5V via heat loss on linear BEC's is very inefficient.
                      About 4-5 years ago the industry standard was changed and any ESC over 30A were made as a switching BEC but the drawback is they don't have a rep for playing well together.
                      You've been fortunate in not seeing any negative effects if paralleling the BEC's of ECS's greater than 30A.
                      The only outlier to this practice of not paralleling switching BEC's would be in the case where after much discussion (led by me) about the accepted practice of isolating one red wire back when the FL P-38 was released and then again when with the Tigercat is when Alpha divulged that the ESC's were a proprietary new design that were capable of parallel connecting the BEC's without isolating one of the Vc leads.
                      To date that appears to only hold true for the 60A Hobbywing Skywalker because when the A-10 was released it's 80A ESC is an OPTO.....no BEC.
                      I'm writing this not to jam on you XV but to help enlighten those less informed of operating twins safely.
                      If you value your plane and you don't know what the electrical specs are for the ESC then always isolate one of the red BEC wires or even better yet isolate both and use a separate UBEC.
                      Warbird Charlie
                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                        Dynam puts a little device in the RX-ESC line that acts to prevent the backfeed issue (most of the time) I've had those fail so I normally disable the BEC's on Dynam twins and go to a (small, light) LiFe for the RX.

If you go without that little circuit on EITHER ESC, you WILL have a single engine out.
                        Actually that little circuit card was designed to counter the stuttering start issue due to low throttle signals. It did not prevent feedback.
                        Primarily affected the 30 and 40A ESC's
                        Warbird Charlie
                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Check the ESCs for the Dynam ME-262. They have the little devices between ESC and RX. Remove the little circuit board in that appx 4 inch extension and you can fry the ESCs
                          60 amp ESCs normally running 4S (as specified in the manual) in the Me-262.

Comment

Working...
                          X