X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receivers

What's the recommended radio, receiver,batteries and charger for the B-24 Liberator? I'm new to this and need help getting started. My father worked with the B-24 "Never Mrs" 453rd bomb group and I'm making a replica of it. Sent pics to Callie and she's setting me up.

6 channel "full range" radio.

More channels can be used but you'd need to bypass parts of the board in the plane used to connect multiple servos/ESCs to some channels. (not hard, just use servo extensions)

You want to be able to separate the antenna a few inches either by Spektrum's satellite RX system or having "whisker antennae" that are more than 2 inches on the RX for 2.4 ghz systems. (72 mhz still works just fine)

Pretty much any 6+channel RX (appropriate for your transmitter) that is not labeled for "park flyer" or micro model use will work

Charger... pretty much any modern LiPo charger rated 50 watts or more would be adequate.

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...-ac-dc-charger
    Would do pretty well allowing charging at home and at the field. (caution not to over-discharge your car's battery if using it to power the charger at the field)

You may need to get or make an adapter to go between charger and the battery. I am not sure which connectors come with the current chargers. (My chargers are all several years old)

Just get the recommended pack at MotionRC for the airplane.

I would NOT recommend this as a first RC airplane. You should be familiar with flying something else first.
    It may take some people 3 or more other aircraft to build appropriate flying skills to be able to handle this model if something goes wrong such as one of the props coming off in flight and causing the aircraft to not respond normally.
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Hello Peteremus...........Welcome to the Squawk
      If you are in fact "new to this" and have no or limited RC flying experience then this airframe is absolutely above your present skill level.
      I have seen many novice pilots with big wide eyed warbird desires try to run before they can walk with the results being disastrous and ultimately tainting their desire to pursue the sport any further.
      Put that Liberator aside for later and get a good trainer first and build your flying skills.
      The warbirds will come in time ;)

Best Regards,
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Give this bird a place to hang out and get you a trainer model... warbirds are fun if you have a good background in applying stick movement realizing less is more with them. Over throwing will cause a snap and your model and day are both done in mater of seconds. Just get a feel of flying, then move to a faster model, then after you master those two, you can get a good well behaved warbird. I may suggest a dynam hellcat, finally after mastering the hellcat get this bird ready to fly. If I were starting that is how I would go about it. As far as a radio grab a second gen dx8, add a good receiver, so far for those the admirals seem to be a really good choice for the money. If you want success you will follow our advice here. Do you're father proud, don't get his bird shot down before it has a chance to fly.

Comment

Thanks guys! Got it, I certainly will train first.
          In the meantime my family will enjoy seeing this warbird on display!

Comment

Another question:
            I need to repainted the tail rudders a different color, any special paint I should use?

Comment

Do you have anything the exact color you are looking for? If you do go to Lowe's and get some colormatch paint from them. Especially if you are having Callie do your artwork. That's what i would do.

Comment

Yeah Thanks, I'm changing the rudders from yellow with a black stripe to black with a white stripe.
                I think they used a satin black and not gloss.

Comment

Ah, in that case just grab some testers

Comment

Working...
                  X