You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Binding a Spektrum Rx - What am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binding a Spektrum Rx - What am I doing wrong?

I am trying to bind a Spektrum receiver, but for some reason it's not working.

I have some experience with Spektrum, and currently have an aircraft flying using the AR7000 Rx and Spektrum DX-7 transmitter.

I've followed the manual to the letter, binding link plugged in, power on, but there are no flashing lights on the Rx or satellite. Does that indicate a dud receiver?

I understand it may be a failed receiver, electronic devices do fail, but it's exactly the same with three other receivers, an AR7000, an AR8000, and an S603, no flashing lights, so the binding process cannot proceed. To confuse the issue, the AR7000 and AR8000 receivers has been flown in the past, so binding had been successful. I have also had the S603 bind, hasn't flown, although I did have it operating on the bench in a Bird of Time I'm getting ready to fly.

I've checked operation of the receiver in the aircraft I'm currently flying, and it's all OK.

One receiver failure I understand, two unlikely, three almost impossible.

Does anybody have any ideas on what's going on here? I feel sure it's something I'm doing/not doing.

You're not getting power to the receiver, does your ESC have a built in BEC?
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Just a couple things I’ve run into.
      One thing that happened to me was I had the radio too close to the receiver. Someone told me to try and bind a few feet from receiver. Try having the radio at least 5 feet away and try that. It worked for me once.
      Another time I was having trouble was I forgot to remove the bind plug and for the life of couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong. Imagine my blushing when I discovered I’d forgot to remove the bind plug. :Confused:

Comment

Originally posted by Beeg View Post
        Just a couple things I’ve run into.
        One thing that happened to me was I had the radio too close to the receiver. Someone told me to try and bind a few feet from receiver. Try having the radio at least 5 feet away and try that. It worked for me once.
        Another time I was having trouble was I forgot to remove the bind plug and for the life of couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong. Imagine my blushing when I discovered I’d forgot to remove the bind plug. :Confused:
        He said the receiver isn't flashing.
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Ah. Missed that part. Is he getting any lights?

Comment

You might have the plugs the wrong way, most have the signal pin up, the AR7000 and AR8000 they go down. I sent an AR8000 to spektrum once for repair and got it sent back with a little piece of paper in nice terms (dummy most problems are solved by reading the manual) I looked on the receivers diagram and sure enough. Hope this helped. Ron.
            AMA 424553

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
              You're not getting power to the receiver, does your ESC have a built in BEC?

The ESC I'll be using does have a built in BEC, but I'm using a 6 volt battery pack, just for convenience.

No flashing in the Rx or satellite would indicate no power, but I've checked the voltage from the pack and it's above 6 volts.

I've also used a 4.8 volt battery pack, and checked the voltage at the pins on the Rx, so the plugs on the battery packs are eliminated. The votlage at the pins on the Rx's is consistent with what is measured at the plug on the battery pack.

Comment

Originally posted by RRHandy View Post
                You might have the plugs the wrong way, most have the signal pin up, the AR7000 and AR8000 they go down. I sent an AR8000 to spektrum once for repair and got it sent back with a little piece of paper in nice terms (dummy most problems are solved by reading the manual) I looked on the receivers diagram and sure enough. Hope this helped. Ron.
                I am aware of the difference, but it's very difficult to get the plug into the Rx the wrong way round Ron because of the rounding on one side of the plug, however I will take a look later in the day (about to go out for an hour or two), just in case. It's unlikely that would be the case with three Rx's though.

I'm not suggesting I'm infallible, because if there's a mistake to be made in model flying, I've made it, mostly expensive!!

Comment

Ah. Missed that part. Is he getting any lights?
                  No lights at all.

Comment

As TI said it sounds like not getting power for some reason.
                    Couple of questions: Is your transmitter capable of DSM2? Is it in DSMX mode? Are you sure your bind plug isn’t open? A bind plug is simply a jumper between signal and ground wire. Sometimes one wire breaks loose. I’ve had to make a quick bind jumper repair at the field before by just taking a paper clip and jamming each end into the plug holes, signal and ground (two outside wires).

after thinking about it Tx mode shouldnt matter. Even if the transmitter isn’t on you should at least get lights flashing if your Rx is in bind mode.

Comment

How are you connecting the 6V battery to the receiver? Also, if you are using a separate battery to power the receiver did you lift the red wire from the connector coming from the ESC that you plug into the throttle channel on the receiver?

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                        How are you connecting the 6V battery to the receiver? Also, if you are using a separate battery to power the receiver did you lift the red wire from the connector coming from the ESC that you plug into the throttle channel on the receiver?
                        I was wondering about that but I had to go back and re-read his first post but in his second post it sounds like he doesn’t have the Rx’s in an aircraft but just powering them with a battery.

Comment

A bind plug is simply a jumper between power and ground wire..
                          That is not a factual statement Beeg. It's a jumper of the "Signal" (yellow or white) wire and ground (black) wire which is the outside wires .
                          Jumpering the power(red / center) wire to ground will let out the smoke.
                          Just clarifying for the novices who are reading this. ;)
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Oops, right you are. Will edit post.

Comment

Ron, your prize is in the mail !!!

It appears that I did have the plugs the wrong way round, partly because the rounded socket in the Rx only has the rounding once in each group of three pins, and the male plug will go into 8 out of the 12 sockets the wrong way. What I find astounding is that I did it time after time without picking it up, so I can add that to my list of screw ups in modeling.

The AR8000 and the R630 are both working OK, but the AR7000 seems to be dead, no lights at all.

At the price they're available now, it's probably not worth getting the AR7000 repaired??

Thanks again Ron, and everybody who contributed their ideas. Great forum!!

If anybody is interested, here's the link to the project for which I'm using the receiver I couldn't bind...

Comment

I have never done that before.. :Sacred: Glad you got it sorted out.

Comment

Don't all Spektrum (and Spektrum compatible) receivers have a little diagram of polarity printed somewhere near the ports? (As in "negative, power, signal"?) I always look at those little symbols before plugging in as each model of Rx can be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross M View Post
                                    Ron, your prize is in the mail !!!

It appears that I did have the plugs the wrong way round, partly because the rounded socket in the Rx only has the rounding once in each group of three pins, and the male plug will go into 8 out of the 12 sockets the wrong way. What I find astounding is that I did it time after time without picking it up, so I can add that to my list of screw ups in modeling.

The AR8000 and the R630 are both working OK, but the AR7000 seems to be dead, no lights at all.

At the price they're available now, it's probably not worth getting the AR7000 repaired??

Thanks again Ron, and everybody who contributed their ideas. Great forum!!

If anybody is interested, here's the link to the project for which I'm using the receiver I couldn't bind...

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...time-arf/page6
                                    You're welcome, glad to help. :Cool:
                                    AMA 424553

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                      Don't all Spektrum (and Spektrum compatible) receivers have a little diagram of polarity printed somewhere near the ports? (As in "negative, power, signal"?) I always look at those little symbols before plugging in as each model of Rx can be different.
                                      I've checked the three Rx's xviper, and none have any indication of polarity/signal pins.....unfortunately. Some others may though. Only one of the three is a genuine Spektrum, the one that is dead!! At least I think only one is genuine, even though the AR8000 has a Horizon Hobby brand on it, it came from Hong Kong.

Comment

Assume the labels are all wrong.

Remove all servos/esc/battery harness from the RX.

If using an ESC to power up the RX, DO connect a motor. LEAVE THE PROP OFF.

Select an end port and put in the bind plug.
                                        Select a servo port in the middle. Plug power into that
                                        Observe for the flashing light indicating bind mode. If yes, turn the TX in in bind mode. If no, pull power from the RX, swap which end the bind plug is in. and try again.

That will bind almost all Spektrum and Spektrum compatible RXs
                                        a few don't use bind plugs (all micro RXs),
                                        one Spektrum RX I know of has two tiny pins that are for binding, Pinch them together to bind, un-pinch once properly bound
                                        No bind pug or pinch pins, then it will go in bind mode if turned on and it doesn't find the last bound TX within appx 10 to 30 seconds

NOW, plug in a servo and test if it works, If not assume its reversed negative and signal. (servo might have moved as you plugged it in and it found power) turn the plug around.

Now you can line up the negative and signal wires all in a row as you plug everything else in.

Note that any 2.4 ghz stuff you might have operating within 100 ft CAN interfere with binding. That means your WiFi can prevent binding from working.

FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Working...
                                        X