X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controller

What's the best controller for a beginner/intermediate with room to grow that will work with AS3X?

As3x is stability system. Assuming you want a controller that will with DSMX which is the original for HH and eflite bnf planes. If you are going to run just dsmx any of the spectrum controllers are great. A simple 6 channel can last you for s really long time. I like 8 channel it better giving you ability to control more features

Comment

Spektrum radio systems for AS3X/DSMX

Minimum recommended is 6 channels (whichever version DX6 is current)
      More channels means more possible controls and more mixing options.

I'm not current on the Spektrum radio line. I use their high end DX-18 system (which is probably more radio than you want)

Telemetry capable radios cost more and the telemetry is a marginal value. Its a "nice toy" that can give you some helpful information and it does some data logging for people who like to experiment and find out what the real results are. I was disappointed that the voice warnings are barely audible with any glow power model flying in the area.

For over 25 years of flying RC, I never used more than 5 channels. Then I discovered computer mixing functions.

You want to buy enough radio capability to last 3 years. What do you expect (or want) to be flying 3 years from now?
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Don't go cheap on your transmitter. Get a Spektrum, after the sale service is outstanding. The DX6e should be your minimum choice. I personally find the DX8 does everything I need.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses! Just for reference, which aircraft, from MotionRC are 8 channel? Should I really spring for all 8 channels? If not, should I go for the Dx6e including the transmitter in case I get a PNP aircraft?

Comment

Originally posted by IowaTim View Post
            Thank you all for your responses! Just for reference, which aircraft, from MotionRC are 8 channel? Should I really spring for all 8 channels? If not, should I go for the Dx6e including the transmitter in case I get a PNP aircraft?
            Probably the best response to your last inquiry falls directly with the last sentence in the remarks that fhhuber gave you.
            "You want to buy enough radio capability to last 3 years. What do you expect (or want) to be flying 3 years from now?" ;)
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I think that's good advice, however, I guess my response is that I don't know what I'll be flying, I want to make sure that I buy enough controller to keep my options open.

Comment

Then I'll have to recommend a minimum of a 7 channel radio. 8 if you are thinking of FPV.

You can use 5 channels on most f the 4 channel models. Using 2 servos for ailerons, you can use 2 channels and get options for trimming and "differential aileron throw" which help in fine tuning the aircraft. Then I like cutting in the flaps and adding the servos on models such as the Dynam P-51 (original version... I heard a new version already has the flaps) that changed the 5 channel model to potentially using 7 channels. Add a bomb or belly tank release system, now you can use up 8. Or if going FPV, the head tracker system uses 2 channels. Now that "5 channel" model can use up to 9 channels.

Then there's advanced models. I'm working on a 107 inch span Me262 that uses 8 servos for flaps... It could potentially benefit from a 24 channel radio.

Comment

Thank you! Is there any benefit in purchasing the radio with the receiver or should I just wait until I need it?

Comment

I've been at this rc plane thing for a little over a year , started with a 4 channel ... went to a 6 now I have a DX 8 Spektrum. To do it over again i'd start with a 8 channel minimum

Throttle ,Ailerons, Elevator, Rudder, Retracts, Flaps, Gyro . Bam ...7 channels

Comment

Thank you! Is there any benefit in purchasing the radio with the receiver or should I just wait until I need it?
                      There is usually a cost savings to buying a TX+ RX package. It used to always be a package of TX + RX + servos, but the "standard" servo is now not as commonly desired, so the packages have changed.

If you stick with the hobby, you'll eventually want a LOT of receivers. One per airplane in ready to fly condition plus a couple of spares (for the next planes you'll be building/buying or for testing/replacing questionable receivers)

Comment

I have only used 6 channel Spektrum transmitters. I have the DX6i the Dx6e and the DX6. I use the DX6i for my simulator and the DX6e as a spare. My radio of choice is the DX6 because of the voice feature. I use the Lemon receivers with stabilization because they are only $24 and have never failed me yet. They are compatible with Spektrum DSMX and AS3X. I use them in all of my aircraft. I doubt I will ever need more than 6 channels. If you fly electrics the voice feature is nice as you don't have to take your eyes off of your aircraft to see time remaining. I doubt you would hear the voice prompts with glow or gasoline. I would stick with the DX6 or the DX8 if you think you may grow into it. I have sent my various Spektrum Txs in for service 3 times and they have always been repaired for free, very quickly. Their customer service is stellar. Hope this helps.

Comment

Dx8 g2. Its a great radio. Love mine. Not much more than the 6. Stock lipo battery in my dx8 lasts all day. You will use more than 6 channels very quickly.
                          Still flying P.15, avanti(#2), mig 21, yak 130 70mm(#2), f35, f9f panther, a10 64mm, F8 crusader/ PA ultimate amr /HK skipper, durafly dh vampire, p 51,spit mk24, corsair, flybeam/ BH f86 50mm, deltawing 50mm/ HH su 26 mm,umx pitts,umx sbach, blade nano cp s,blade 450x, inductrix 200, inductrix pro, umx yak 54,umx f27 fpv/ electrifly 4s L39/ flyzone beaver/ volantix asw 28, /dynam B26

RIP.. roc hobby waco,strega #2(you will be missed), Fw 90mm eurofighter.

Comment

Working...
                          X