X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feel lied to

If you read the info on the Admiral 6ch w/gyro it says that it will help stabilize with flight . And I know it does but recently I had a major issue . I've bought 7 so far and used a couple ok with no problems . Until I put it in a tail dragger w/mix for the ailerons. Flew very tail heavy . CG was triple checked and the battery was moved so far forward not sure how I got up without nosing over on takeoff . This happened in two planes both with NEW rx's and two different rx's also . Point being is I didn't move from one to the other plane . I lost one plane , can't retrieve it . Way up in the woods . The other I did get down but it was a ugly landing .

Did some inquiring with a couple of other pilots and there were some flap issues as well . Crashes did happen and these were very accomplished pilots . I called and spoke to a Rep. , he was very helpful and I ended up getting a credit for the two rx's . This is not what I was looking for , there is a issue somewhere and I only want to figure it out . I did and always do video the flights and they were looked at . I called again yesterday and was inquiring about the issue , I was told " it's a cheap gyro and is mainly for the Panic or Recovery feature . Just turn it off " . maybe it just wasn't going to work in those planes . What did you just tell me . Not only did I spend over $300 to by a new radio so I could use these new receivers I have pulled out all the systems I have in all my planes to switch over . Both of these planes had already been flown , by me , with no issues and the other system . I know the planes were fine .

We need to know , I need to know if there are some restrictions when using these . I do have in another plane , it's a tric setup , and NO issues . I am pulling them out of anything with flaps . Also was told " well you would be better with the Eagle setup vs this if that is what you are looking for . My understanding is it is to work like the AS3x system
    The gyro mode can easily be changed remotely from your radio even without using a channel. The Motion RC firmware allows the gyro-receiver to work with 6 channel radios flying 6 channel planes while still retaining the ability to remotely change the gyro mode from the radio without taking an extra channel. The available gyro modes are off, stability, or stability plus. Any two of these three modes can be controlled remotely - you simply pick which of the two modes you want available. The default modes are stability and stability plus. The stability mode functions like the normal 3 axis gyro we are all familiar with. Stability plus mode fully utilizes the 6 axis gyro with a "Panic Recovery" feature. For those with an 8+ channel radio, we've now added the ability to control the master gain from your radio using AUX3. That is from the website .

Don't do well with smoke blown up my butt when I have a concern , Makes me very angry . I have 6 pages of orders where I have made purchases in the last four n half years . Wondering if I should continue …….

I will not mention any names because that's not fair .

Bryan , and yes feel free to call me you have my number
    But Crashing is Landing

Im having trouble following the cause of your issues. What gyro mode was causing the issues? Did you enable/ disable in flight and see any flight characteristics change?

Comment

Receiver orientation correct? I have around 40 of the Admiral receivers and have had zero issues.
      TiredIron Aviation
      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Was not switched off in flight never got a chance to do so . TI you also told me you were not using the gyro rx . It was installed correctly . in the right location .

Not my first time at this
        But Crashing is Landing

Comment

What I want to know is if there is a different setup for a tail dragger . Only setup I've had issue with . If is not to act and respond as the more expensive AS3x say so , That's what I was told on the phone yesterday by a Rep. I feel I've marketed to this way
          But Crashing is Landing

Comment

BTW sorry for the title not what I wanted to do . But with all the 1000s of post on lots of threads its the only way to get any attention
            But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Until I put it in a tail dragger w/mix for the ailerons. Flew very tail heavy .
              I'm sure many here would like to help, but we need more information.
              How about a better description of the problem? Could you post the flight video? What did you mix with what? Describe what you mean when you say it "flew very tail heavy". I assume you mean sensitive in pitch, is that correct? How about roll and yaw, were they OK? Did you attempt to change the gains? Did you make sure the control surfaces moved in the correct direction to dampen unwanted excursions and not exacerbate them? Being a tail dragger should absolutely make no difference. Did you set up the stabilizer with the fuselage level or with the fuselage at an angle as when it's on it's landing gear? .

Comment

Originally posted by davecee View Post

I'm sure many here would like to help, but we need more information.
                How about a better description of the problem? Could you post the flight video? What did you mix with what? Describe what you mean when you say it "flew very tail heavy". I assume you mean sensitive in pitch, is that correct? How about roll and yaw, were they OK? Did you attempt to change the gains? Did you make sure the control surfaces moved in the correct direction to dampen unwanted excursions and not exacerbate them? Being a tail dragger should absolutely make no difference. Did you set up the stabilizer with the fuselage level or with the fuselage at an angle as when it's on it's landing gear? .
                This would be the only difference I can see when plugging in the battery. On one of the HobbyEagle stabilizers, the plane must be calibrated for level in order for it to fly that way. On this Admiral, since there is no actual calibration step as such, I can only imagine that when plugging in the flight battery, the stabilizer in the RX must do a preliminary "level calibration". During this time, it might be important to get the plane off its tail wheel so that it's not pointed at the sky during the initialization phase. I also find this to be the case with all of my stabilizers/return to home modules. There is no calibration except at start up. If the plane is powered up with one wing tip on the table or if the tail is on the table, the plane (gliders in my case) will fly very oddly and want to turn all the time and not want to fly level. However, because they are gliders, such flight oddities are fairly benign and can easily be compensated for till the plane is back down. Then, doing the proper power up with the plane perfectly level, it flies "normally" the next time up.

Comment

Hi Bryan,

Please send me a PM and let me know who you spoke with here at Motion RC. These are fantastic gyros and they work very well. That said, if you have a very tail heavy plane, I'm not sure any gyro is going to save a plane where the CG is not correct. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Also, You do not want to have any mix in your radio other than what the instructions specifically state. You want to let the gyro do the mixing. Again, maybe I'm misunderstanding your post. Using any mix on the radio can/will confuse the gyro and can make unpredictable things happen. Again, this is pretty standard with any gyro. For example, if I have a V-tail, I need to setup the V-tail mix on the gyro, not in the radio.

Comment

Not the same gyro...

But when I installed one in my Dynam Tiger Moth, I was extremely glad that I had it on a switch to turn it off.
                    I made the mistake of initializing with the main and tail wheels on level pavement. With gyro on, I was fighting to get the nose down for level flight.

Propping the tail up to have the wing chord line +3 deg vs level, the gyro works fine.

Improperly initializing a gyro is worse than not having a gyro.
                    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                      Improperly initializing a gyro is worse than not having a gyro.
                      Words or wisdom!

I'm not a fan of gyros ;)

TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie 64 View Post
                        Was not switched off in flight never got a chance to do so . TI you also told me you were not using the gyro rx . It was installed correctly . in the right location .

Not my first time at this
                        I was just saying I doubt it's an issue with the receiver itself.
                        TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Tom first off thank you but I will NOT do that . I'm not throwing anyone under a bus . That's not what this is about .

To all that responded ,thank you . Until this plane I had never installed a gyro type anything in but two other planes and they were not tail draggers . I had never used a gyro prior to buying the Admirals. So there are things I didn't have a clue on . My understanding was I could do like my Timber , install , set up , fly. Trim and things of course . So anything else other than placing at or close to the CG point and pins in the rear I had no knowledge of . I read back and didn't find anything else either .

Take off with a small amount of flaps then switch back to normal but it never came back to normal . For those saying "it was the CG " nope . Double and triple checked plus moved the battery more forward to a point of it should never take off . Just kept pulling the nose up !!! Completely uncontrollable . One lost way up in the woods , the other I did manage to get down didn't crash it but was very ugly.

I never knew Don't add any mix nowhere to read that info. , My fault and will accept that one . But more info. on how to set these up would have been super...…… Both of these planes were easy floating planes , one was a STOL type . The other a low wing ***** cat .Will say the one in the tree is a ornament now

Bryan
                          But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Actually, you can do mixing in the TX with a Gyro between RX and servos. Very common in Helis before the multi-axis gyros and I've done it with my little 3 ch/6 axis gyros. You mixed tail pitch to the collective and/or throttle in the TX, then had the gyro between RX and tail rotor servo.

You have to think about what mix will have what effect and appropriately orient the gyro For elevon I mount the gyro pointed 45 deg to the left. (note that this gyro desn't have programmable mixing, just adjustable rate/gain for each channel) If the servos connected to control horns the top of the elevon instead of the bottom I would expect to need to point it 45 deg right. With the correct angle offset, moving the nose up, moves both elevons down.

Logically, you could do similar for the gyros built into the receiver. There are mixes possible with advanced computer radios that you simply won't have in the programmable RX.

Take it high, gyro-off, turn the gyro on and test result. Be ready to turn the gyro off. Gyro should be an aid, not a crutch.
                            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

First off Huber I have never used them until trying this because I wanted to fly in winds that we have here . ITS NOT A CRUTCH . After 4 years of never using one is only an aid .

Been three weeks ago today I was contacted . At that time told them I had a 1400 Zero with one installed and that I am worried of taking it up with it . Instructed at that time I will be getting a detailed setup for this combo because it seems to me they didn't know . I did say take your time no rush but figured a week maybe not three.

This person I do respect highly so makes me wonder is there something we aren't being told about these RXs .

But Crashing is Landing

Comment

I don’t have any experience with the admiral receiver gyro but with all others that I have when you put the in a taildragger the plane has to be sitting level as in flight not with the tail on the ground when it is initialized or calibrated because if it sits tail on the ground it will think that is level flight and constantly correct with pulling up the nose.

Comment

Originally posted by Agpilot25 View Post
                                  I don’t have any experience with the admiral receiver gyro but with all others that I have when you put the in a taildragger the plane has to be sitting level as in flight not with the tail on the ground when it is initialized or calibrated because if it sits tail on the ground it will think that is level flight and constantly correct with pulling up the nose.
                                  I believe that most gyros that have any kind of "recovery" or "auto level" mode MUST know what level is, so a tail dragger can't be on it's tail wheel when the plane is powered up. Even a sailplane (with Return Home and auto level) must be lifted to level both in pitch and roll axis at time of initialization.

Comment

Hi Hippie64, just so I'm clear, am I correct in assuming that you're using the Admiral gyroceiver "RX600SP", linked below?

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...xis-stabilizer

If I'm correct that you're using the RX600SP, then let me clarify something very important. I worked with that gyroceiver's engineer, including firmware tweaks that are specific to our version sold here at Motion RC, which is RX600SP (SKU#ADMR04). The RX600SP gyroceiver references itself for Auto-Level, it DOES NOT reference its position relative to the ground when the battery is first plugged in.

This means that as long as the gyroceiver itself is mounted properly with its nose facing forward, parallel with the fuselage, with the base facing perpendicular to the ground, the Auto-Level function will return the gyroceiver (and thus the fuselage) to a path parallel to the ground and wings level. Unlike other gyros, which as Xviper mentioned most often need to be held parallel to the ground when the battery is first plugged in in order to function properly (because it takes its position at that instant as its reference for "Level" for the imminent flight), the Admiral RX600SP gyroceiver does not. We wanted to simplify the setup of the RX600SP and eliminate the hassle of having to hold a model aircraft parallel to the ground every single time the battery was plugged in, so instead the RX600SP's reference to Level is baked into the firmware. So, as long as as one installs the RX600SP properly as proscribed above, one could technically hold their aircraft facing PERPENDICULAR to the ground and plug the battery in, and during flight the Auto Level function would still snap the fuselage safely back to PARALLEL to the ground.

Installation is key. I would encourage pilots to verify that the surface inside the aircraft to which they're mounting this or any gyro is in fact parallel to the aircraft's level line of flight. Verify this on the ground by toggling the Auto Level function and observing the direction and amount of throw exerted upon the control surfaces.

I hope this helps clarify in context of the Admiral RX600SP.
                                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Interesting. So it sets level the moment it's "born".

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                        Interesting. So it sets level the moment it's "born".
                                        Yes, correct. Other gyro firmware versions in circulation worldwide are different, but the RX600SP's "Level" is baked into it in the womb so the end user doesn't need to worry about it throughout its lifetime.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Working...
                                        X