X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Receiver?

I am in the midst of building a1050 sq.inch. 3 channel all balsa electric powered plane. I have a gen1 Spectrum DX8 and need a receiver for this model. Reliability is #1and cost is not important. I would not mind buying a receiver with functions I won't use in this model but may want in subsequent builds. That strategy is not necessary unless the more capable receivers are demonstrably more reliable. Suggestions please!
    Thanks,
    Marc

I've not often heard of a plane's size in terms of "sq. in." It sound like you're building a sailplane (about 8 to 10', I estimate). If this is so, even the cheapo (20 bucks) Lemon receiver will fly that thing further than you can see. I know because I have 3 large electric balsa sailplanes. One has the more pricey Spektrum AS3X Rx, one has a cheap Lemon and the 3rd one has a slightly more expensive Lemon Rx with built-in telemetry. They've ALL gone well beyond sight. However, the AS3X that comes with the Radian XL has been known to fail (not mine) in a couple of other planes of my flying buddies, so there's goes the "money no object" theory.
    In such an application, it's not necessarily the Rx that you need to worry about. What you need is the ability to bring it back once you've lost sight of it. For that, you need a "Return to Home" device, something like the Bigaole. This will also give you some stabilization to maximize the glide. Not a sailplane? Even still, a Return to Home device is still a nice thing to have if you plan to fly it far away.
    Now, if I'm wrong about your plane being a sailplane, well, "money is no object" will only dent your wallet more for something that won't be any better or more reliable than a cheap Rx. OK, let's go with the "money no object" way. Do you have a lot of carbon fibre around where the Rx will be mounted? If not, then go with one of the new antenna-less Spektrum Rx's. If there is a lot of CF, then you need to find a Rx that won't be affected by that. Again, money is no object Spektrum has something for you. Stick with DSMX (rather than the older DSM2) for best performance. Don't want to risk new tech with the antenna-less Rx's, then stick with the old standby Spektrum Rx's with either the long antenna or the satellite antenna. I've flown sailplanes in the past with an old AR400 and range was never a problem.
    Note: Even the most "reliable" device can no longer be relied upon after a mishap. Always do ground testing and range testing after a crash or hard hit. Even then, there's no guarantee.

Comment

"I've not often heard of a plane's size in terms of "sq. in."
      Interesting! I started flying radio in 1968 and control line back in the late fifties. I haven't done any flying except some indoor copters with my grandsons in about 15 years. Back in the day all the kits had the wing measurements in square inches on the box. When I said money is no object I meant that as a relative term. I'm used to radio receivers and such costing a lot more $ and being a lot less reliable! I still can't fathom the $4 servo and $20 receiver. With all the work that goes into a built up wood model a little more $ for better electronics is really money well spent.

Marc

Comment

If you take a look at most planes in any website, you will see the wing is measured in "span" (either inches or mm). From time to time, you'll also see wing loading. Since you have a 1000 sq. in. wing, this doesn't tell all. Is the wing 100" long and 10" in depth or is it 50" long and 20" depth? As for how much you pay for the components, it's what gives you comfort in this hobby. I don't build planes from the ribs up anymore. I prefer the convenience and quickness of today's foamies that go together in an hour. I have no qualms about putting in $7.00 HobbyKing servos and a $20.00 Lemon receiver in a $500.00 plane. Both have worked consistently well for me and after nearly 150 planes, I still hold that philosophy. But then, that's me. To each his own and whatever helps you sleep at night.
        While some people may buy a $70,000.00 Mercedes thinking it's money well spent, others may elect to buy the cheapest Hyundai Accent and drive it for 10 years and throw it away.

Comment

Originally posted by mml4-rcu View Post
          I am in the midst of building a1050 sq.inch. 3 channel all balsa electric powered plane. I have a gen1 Spectrum DX8 and need a receiver for this model. Reliability is #1and cost is not important. I would not mind buying a receiver with functions I won't use in this model but may want in subsequent builds. That strategy is not necessary unless the more capable receivers are demonstrably more reliable. Suggestions please!
          Thanks,
          Marc
          I read 1050 sq in as appx 80 inch span X 13 inch average chord... Expected for scale C-172 or similar... 100 inch span, 10 inch chord for sailplane. and could be less span, higher chord for IMAA/IMAC or jet.
          You can fly a 80 CC pylon racer on 3 servos...

7 to 40 lb models fit in there...

So just the sq in wing area doesn't tell us much.

Really any of the "full range" (not parkflyer) receivers can work for any... as long as there are adequate channels.

For sailplane I'd happily stick in an old DSMX with single satellite and take it to "speck height"

Scale modest performance (Piper Cub) again, anything but a parkflyer RX with adequate channels.

Higher performance, you probably need more current to the RX and servos than a single switch harness can handle. I use the original RX that came with a DX-8 in a 55CC powered low wing big stick (8 ft span, 2 ft chord, 22 lbs) using 2 switch harnesses feeding the R with 2 1800 mah 2 cell LiFe.

Even higher performance I'd move to one of the "Power Safe" series with a pair of LiFe packs feeding the RX via 12 gauge wire.

Or like the Me262 I am working on using 2 X 5000 watt EDF... expected speeds exceeding 200 mph with a 30 to 35 lb model... you might even choose HV rated packs and go to 2S LiPo supplying the RX system
          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Hey Y'all, I would like to buy a new Rx for my 1600mm Spifire from MotionRC and would like some feedback.The Rx that came with my Futaba 8J is the Futaba R2008SB S.Bus 8-Channel S-FHSS Rx. I thought about just getting another R2008 but reading these forums I wonder if I might be missing the boat on other great rx's at a bit lesser price. I would like a gyro friendly Rx though I guess all are gyro acceptable. Advice welcome. Best, LB
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
            X