X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graupner MZ-24 Pro

So I have been in the market for a 9+ channel tx for a while as I am outgrowing my DX6. I have been on the fence between the DX9 and MZ-24 Pro for months and by chance I went to the Graupner USA site and they had a pretty decent cyber Monday deal so I pulled the trigger. I believe it was $60 or so off and when I was checking out, I noticed a 9 channel receiver in the shopping car with $0. If that's on top of the 3 receivers already included then extra bonus to me:). I know it was marked up a bit on their site compared to others but oh well. After the discount it worked out to be the about the same.

But I don't see much posted here about the radio and even in the poll it got a 0. We have a pilot (out chief instructor) that has had one for about a year and loves it. The receivers are a bit pricey which is why I am going to keep my heli's, smaller props, warbirds, and EDF's on the DX6 for now.

I will post updates and my review on here if anyone is interested. I know there's a learning curve but I'm really looking forward to digging into it and am very hopeful it lives up to my expectations. If there are in fact some MZ-24 Pro users here that have any tips, tricks, or advice I would welcome your wisdom!

I have the mz24 non pro version. I am thinking of doing the firmware upgrade to Pro. The basic 6 channel receivers Gr-12l, are very reasonably priced. About the same as Spektrum. The gyro receivers or 8 channel seems pricey but spektrum 8 channel are not cheap either. A gr12-l and one of the hobbyeagle gyros is cheaper than the graupner gyro rx. The problem is if youR plane has retract and Flaps you can't assign switches to turn the gyro on and off. I am planning to add a few of the gyros from Motion to my warbirds and just have them on all the time.

I love the gumball on the mz24. They are the silkiest smoothest of any radio I have ever had in my hand. Be careful with the switches. If you break one you can't replace just the switch. All the switches in a corner are mounted together on a circuit board. I have broke a few and had to get replacement boards from graupner and cut all the wires and resolder them. The plugs are not removable for hot swaps. I love the radio otherwise.

I have pondered selling it and going to spektrum or taranis cause frsky rxs are cheap and you can get nice lemon rxs for spectrum for cheap. Doing the math though I would still have to spend a few hundred dollars to buy enough receivers for my planes. For that money I can just buy the needed graupner receivers. I dont have room for many planes so I can't have a hanger full like most people so I dont need that many receivers.

I love the radio but I am usually the only one at the field with one. You woo enjoy that setup especially with the pro software in it.

Comment

I like it so far. I got the hard springs for it but they are a bit too stiff. Not easy at all to change so will probably just stick with them. I like the feel of it but the top switches are just a tad too close to each other IMO. The software gets easier the more you use it which is the case with any system. I have decided to hold on to my DX6 for my heli's and small BNF's that I take to the soccer field to fly after work. I will use the MZ for all of my EDF's and larger planes in time.

As far as adding Gyro's I too will probably add some A3L gyro's as I've used them in the past and they work fine for what I use them for. I personally would never fly without the ability to turn the gyro off if needed. It may take some digging to find the programming but I'm sure it's possible on the pro. If not I won't be using one.

Comment

Originally posted by icepirate3 View Post
        I like it so far. I got the hard springs for it but they are a bit too stiff. Not easy at all to change so will probably just stick with them. I like the feel of it but the top switches are just a tad too close to each other IMO.
        I have heard this complaint but I have small hands and it has not bothered me. :-)

They gyros would be easy to set up if you have a rx with more than 6 channels. If you don't mind having gear and flaps tied together you could free a channel that way I suppose but sometimes you don't want flaps for landing and takeoff. Maybe with some of the creative logic switches in the MZ-24 pro you could make it work. That would be cool.

Comment

Working...
        X