Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of going with lemon/admiral reciever moving from spektrum

Hey all,

I'm relativity new, not new to the hobby but just starting to get back in to it. Most of my planes (trainer and warbirds) have been HH, Thus they have AS3X and safe system. I do like the AS3X for windy-ish days as that's where I see it shine. I do believe that this system could help someone if ever in a bind (IE auto level). I've never have used lmeon/admiral recievers so I'm curious what am I giving up regarding the price difference of almost $50 bucks. Gyro is a must. I do need reciever for my hobbyking b17 that is coming next week.

Thanks
    Planes
    -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
    -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

I have the Admiral 6 channel with Gyro in a couple planes as well as a couple lemons. They seem to be just as strong as the higher $ receivers I have used. The gyro's seem pretty good as well although I have experienced times where they will not initialize or select gyro mode. I have them on two position switches for On/Off only. I was able to fix it on one but the other, in my Bae Hawk still will not go into gyro mode. I'm not worried about it as the Hawk really doesn't need it, even in mild wind. They are easy to setup if you watch the quick guide online. For the price you can't beat them! If you want to use a satellite receiver it will NOT work with the Adm 6ch gyro/receiver though! This one:(Admiral RX600SP 6-Channel Receiver with 6-axis Stabilizer Plus and Diversity Antenna) They do mention it on the product page though. The Lemon 6ch Gyro/receiver will work with a satellite receiver if you want/need it.

I think you will find that they are more than capable receivers for the price. I doubt you will see many of them in $10k+ turbines or complex giant scale models but they are IMO perfect for the foamies and other regular planes we see at the fields.

Comment

Thank you.

So the admiral has 7 ports but is classified as a 6 channel, what am I missing here? 5th channel is use to turn on/off stab? So channels 6/7 use for flaps ad retracts
      When would want to get a satellite receiver?

Typically for the gain pots for the admiral, what are you starting out with? All three at 10 o'clock I'm assuming. I've never done this before
      Planes
      -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
      -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

I just noticed your message and have answered a few of your questions there. For some reason, it doesn't notify me by email when I get a message. :Thinking:
        A good starting point for the gain pots is 10 O'clock or less. After each successful flight, move the pots a tiny bit (approx. 2 minutes on the minute hand), fly it up high and go fast. If no oscillation, bring it down and dial in a bit more. Ideally, you want just enough gain immediately prior to that control surface beginning to oscillate. If it oscillates, turn it off and slow down, turn it back on and land. Adjust when down. You will find that the AIL pot is the most sensitive, then comes the ELE. The RUD is the least sensitive and can take quite a bit more gain than the others. Also check for gyro response one each control surface BEFORE taking it up. Move the plane in each axis and the gyro should compensate by trying to undo your movement. If it goes the same way, WATCH OUT. DON'T take it up. It WILL crash. Best to take off with the gyro OFF, go high, turn it on and see what happens. Be prepared to shut it off and fly it manually. If the gyro is reversed, it will be upside down before you know it or it will oscillate like crazy when turned ON. While you are going up there, do your trimming so it can fly more or less "hands off" without the gyro on.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
          I just noticed your message and have answered a few of your questions there. For some reason, it doesn't notify me by email when I get a message. :Thinking:
          A good starting point for the gain pots is 10 O'clock or less. After each successful flight, move the pots a tiny bit (approx. 2 minutes on the minute hand), fly it up high and go fast. If no oscillation, bring it down and dial in a bit more. Ideally, you want just enough gain immediately prior to that control surface beginning to oscillate. If it oscillates, turn it off and slow down, turn it back on and land. Adjust when down. You will find that the AIL pot is the most sensitive, then comes the ELE. The RUD is the least sensitive and can take quite a bit more gain than the others. Also check for gyro response one each control surface BEFORE taking it up. Move the plane in each axis and the gyro should compensate by trying to undo your movement. If it goes the same way, WATCH OUT. DON'T take it up. It WILL crash. Best to take off with the gyro OFF, go high, turn it on and see what happens. Be prepared to shut it off and fly it manually. If the gyro is reversed, it will be upside down before you know it or it will oscillate like crazy when turned ON. While you are going up there, do your trimming so it can fly more or less "hands off" without the gyro on.
          Thanks Viper,
          Sounds easy enough. I got the Spektrum app and was playing with it last night, really looks more of a headache than what it needs to be.

I've been watching Motions RC video on setting it up and reading all the information I can on it.
          Planes

Comment

Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post
            Thank you.

So the admiral has 7 ports but is classified as a 6 channel, what am I missing here? 5th channel is use to turn on/off stab? So channels 6/7 use for flaps ad retracts
            When would want to get a satellite receiver?

Typically for the gain pots for the admiral, what are you starting out with? All three at 10 o'clock I'm assuming. I've never done this before
            It is a true 6 channel, the extra port is the bind port. You can also use it if you want to power the receiver separately. The satellite receiver is there more for insurance IMO. I am pretty new to them myself but how I understand it is that they are more of a remote antenna or an extension of the receiver antenna. Good to use if you are limited on where the receiver can go and there's carbon fiber or thick battery cables close to the receiver. I have one in my F-4 for that very reason. Again, I'm sure there's a more accurate explanation and I could be completely wrong but that's how I understand them.

As far as gain is concerned xviper is spot on. Start low and work the dials up. Before flying the first gyro flight, I highly recommend turning all the rates to MAX to check the deflection of all surfaces on the ground. Once you are satisfied that the gyro is making the correct inputs, dial all gains back to 10, or 11 o-clock. I only say this as it may be difficult to judge on the ground with low settings which way the surfaces are moving. It's also good verify that you in fact can select On/Off. Double and triple check everything is doing what it's supposed to be doing before you takeoff!! I cannot stress this enough as lot's of very expensive lessons have been learned from this. Imagine spending 2 years building a large $20k twin turbine only to loose it during the maiden due to having aileron corrections reversed and the inability to select gyro off. I'm willing to bet a paycheck that something to that extent or worse has happened.

Gyro's are a great tool to help smooth out a plane in wind but they shouldn't be relied on 100% of the time. It's always best to learn every aircraft without a gyro first so you are familiar with it's limits, approach tendencies, and crosswind habits.

Comment

Friends...: QUESTION...I just installed the lemon RX DSMX Compatible 7-Channel Receiver With Stabilizer (Top-Pin) LM0005 on a RC Plane. I have Y connection on the aileron. and V tail. I am using a Spektrum DX6e. Prog'd aircraft type: wing:normal; tail:normal. On the receiver, I switched on #5 for V tail on the receiver. Binded Ok. But when I move the rudder stick left and right, the elevator responds up and down, and viceversa. What did I do wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by gbugari View Post
                Friends...: QUESTION...I just installed the lemon RX DSMX Compatible 7-Channel Receiver With Stabilizer (Top-Pin) LM0005 on a RC Plane. I have Y connection on the aileron. and V tail. I am using a Spektrum DX6e. Prog'd aircraft type: wing:normal; tail:normal. On the receiver, I switched on #5 for V tail on the receiver. Binded Ok. But when I move the rudder stick left and right, the elevator responds up and down, and viceversa. What did I do wrong?
                You cannot use a "Y" on a V-Tail. Each tail servo must be on its own channel. One goes into ELE and the other goes into RUD because a V-tail acts like both an elevator and a rudder.

Comment

I'm sorry I did not explained well on my first post. The AILERON has Y connection and it uses one servo. On the other hand... The rudder has its own servo, so is the elevator. Total servos: 3 .

Comment

Originally posted by gbugari View Post
                    I'm sorry I did not explained well on my first post. The AILERON has Y connection and it uses one servo. On the other hand... The rudder has its own servo, so is the elevator. Total servos: 3 .
                    It didn't come across that way. OK, what you need to do is trial and error. Try reversing one, or the other or both of the tail servos. If that doesn't work, swap the ELE with the RUD, then do the same reversing trial and error till it works the way it should.

Comment

Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post

Thanks Viper,
                      Sounds easy enough. I got the Spektrum app and was playing with it last night, really looks more of a headache than what it needs to be.

I've been watching Motions RC video on setting it up and reading all the information I can on it.
                      The Spektrum PC app is the way to go. Very simple to use.

Comment

Guess it would be good to check and confirm surface movements by putting the receiver in Combo A (gyro/recovery mode)? This way we can be sure that the gyro is moving the surfaces in the right directions. Then use whatever Combo you want.

Additional question: Can I put the Combo A on a 2-way switch and have the recovery function always ON like SAFE ON in Spektrum receivers? MotionRC guys told it cannot be on a 2-way switch. I dont get why because it seems to work all right at least on ground. Never checked in air.

Comment

Originally posted by RcCops View Post
                          Guess it would be good to check and confirm surface movements by putting the receiver in Combo A (gyro/recovery mode)? This way we can be sure that the gyro is moving the surfaces in the right directions. Then use whatever Combo you want.

Additional question: Can I put the Combo A on a 2-way switch and have the recovery function always ON like SAFE ON in Spektrum receivers? MotionRC guys told it cannot be on a 2-way switch. I dont get why because it seems to work all right at least on ground. Never checked in air.
                          What it does on the ground is not necessarily what it will do in the air. As far as I know (from my HobbyEagle experience with "auto balance/recovery mode"), recovery mode won't allow you to actually fly the plane and in the case of the HobbyEagle system, it can go crazy on you when you throw the switch. It likely won't allow you to do anything with the sticks. It could end up with you trying to take off with no stick function. It is NOT like "SAFE". Confirming "gyro" movement on the ground is one thing. Confirming "recovery mode" by looking at the surfaces (on the ground) is a whole other situation. For gyro function, you move the plane and see the control surfaces move to counter and then come back - while doing this, you can still have stick input. In recovery mode, you move the plane and see the control surfaces move but as long as you hold the plane "off level", the control surfaces stay there and won't come back. In that condition, try using the TX sticks. You may find they do nothing.
                          I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but in any case, don't fly it like that till you get more information.

Comment

I have 5 of the Admiral RX 600 stabilizer receivers. I am using the spectrum DX9. When I go through the prompts to set up the receiver I can get the receiver into mode C which is on off Gyro. When I try and set up a switch like G or I It does nothing. It worked at 1 time which tell me it's my transmitter. I can put the receiver back to mode A which is gyro on all the time and it works fine.??

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus Bobby View Post
                              I have 5 of the Admiral RX 600 stabilizer receivers. I am using the spectrum DX9. When I go through the prompts to set up the receiver I can get the receiver into mode C which is on off Gyro. When I try and set up a switch like G or I It does nothing. It worked at 1 time which tell me it's my transmitter. I can put the receiver back to mode A which is gyro on all the time and it works fine.??
                              You may have done it already, but I would check the endpoints (travel) of those switches on the monitor. Find out what the gyro needs to see for end point values and make sure the travel is at those parameters. Also, did you actually assign G and I to those functions? Determine what channels are used for those gyro functions and see that those switches actually work them in the monitor.

Comment

OK, thanks for the heads up. I do have the gyro assigned to switch G. Just for giggles instead of plus 5 I went to - 5 In Mix. To my amazement, everything works On mode C. I guess this tells me That my End points are backwards. Sound right to you

Comment

Don't know how the endpoints got changed and I don't really know too much about putting them where they should be. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus Bobby View Post
                                    OK, thanks for the heads up. I do have the gyro assigned to switch G. Just for giggles instead of plus 5 I went to - 5 In Mix. To my amazement, everything works On mode C. I guess this tells me That my End points are backwards. Sound right to you
                                    I use the Lemon equivalent of your RX and the programming and switch assignment and values are a bit different, so I can't comment on those numbers you posted.

Comment

Maybe I will try getting in touch with wayne over at motion RC. He seems to be pretty educated on this particular receiver

Comment

OK, I thought well I'll just kind of play around with mixing. I change the value from 5 to - 5 on the Mix. To my amazement, everything works. I talk to one of the guys at Motion today and he said sometimes it works if you go to - 5. Put 6 flights on the T28 today. Awesome! Thanks for the input xviper....

Comment

Working...
                                        X