You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever had a bird not "initialize" unless you calibrate your sticks?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever had a bird not "initialize" unless you calibrate your sticks?

Hey y’all. Has anyone ran in to a situation where the ESC boots fine but won’t initialize, until you go into system and calibrate the sticks?

Only happens on one plane, Carbon Cub S. Third time it has happened. Flew it Monday fine, went to fly Tuesday and would not initialize after setting it on the ground. Fought and fought with it, then I remember to calibrate the sticks. For whatever reason this fixes things. This plane does have the Safe system, I did yank our the GPS.

Spectrum DX8g2 is my TX

Does this, or has this happen to anyone else? My TX/Planes are stored in the shop, which is insulated but not heated or cool. It's been every bit of 50 degrees in there for the past 2 weeks or so.
    Planes
    -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
    -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Yes. if the ESC somehow is expecting a 0 throttle position that is too low fr the radio's range, it will fail to initialize.

There are a few ways to get there. One is calibrating the ESC for Spekrum then trying to use it with Futaba. The Spektrum as a max of 120% EPA/ATV where Futaba has 150% available, but the final end pints are the same. The difference is the 100% of Futaba is less difference from centered than Spekrum's 100%.
    This is a "relic" of the difference in how they handled applying trims to Futaba way back in the 1970's because way back then the trim lever moved the pot in the gimbal.

There's also a couple of brands of ESC that require calibration each boot-up. They have to see stick low, then high, then low then they initialize. this is by design to prevent inadvertent start up of the motor.
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Makes perfect sense...It's a eflite power 10 motor. Doesn't say much in the manual for calibration of the ECS. I'm waiting for HH to call me back on that.

Thank you
      Planes
      -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
      -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

I've had and have seen (other peoples' planes) Spektrum factory equipped planes that will not initialize if the throttle trim is not at the bottom. They think the throttle is too high or open. They sometimes won't initialize if you are standing too close. My Convergence does this. Once in every 1/2 dozen power ups, it won't initialize. I have to move a bit further away and re-power and it'll go. I try to be about 10 feet away but I'm not always far enough away.

Comment

Thanks guys. Changed the setting on the TX, power on/off 20 times and it worked 100% of the time.
          Planes

Comment

Working...
          X