X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatibility of orange Rx with spectrum Tx

What is your experience with the compatibility of orange receiver with spectrum DX6 transmitter?

I ask because I’m ready to maiden my first EDF (FJ-3). I had an AS636A receiver installed Which came out of my crashed P 47. The local instructor at our field did not feel that the 636 receiver would work well because it was programmed by spectrum specifically for the P47. So he gave me the orange receiver and it seems to be mostly OK. We actually maidened it yesterday. After turning on the transmitter and hooking up the flight battery and binding, Sometimes the orange light on the receiver blinks instead of turning solid. to solve that we Unplug the flight battery, turn off the transmitter. Then turn on the transmitter plug in the flight battery and it will turn solid. What do you think ?

Comment

AR636, not “AS636”.

Comment

How old is that Orange? I don’t see a satellite RX on it or is it out of frame? Some of the older Orange RX’s were problematic. I would strongly suggest you do a thorough range check. Drive the thing out at least 100 feet, maybe more, then throttle down and hit the reduced power button to do the range check on all control surfaces, then repeat it with the plane facing you in different orientations. In the early days of these Oranges at my field, at least 3 planes flew away and were never found. I currently use one of the later Oranges with a satellite and it has never failed me. It’s the only plane I have that uses the Orange. I use strictly Lemons now.

Comment

Orange are for DSM2 and work great. Lemons or the new Admirals are for DSMX and also work great.

Comment

The newer Orange can be DSM2 or DSMX or both, but a range test is still a wise thing to do.

Comment

We did a range check (approx. 75-100ft away) and all surfaces & throttle passed the test.

Comment

You should be good to go. When you had the plane out there, did you test it with the plane turned in different directions? Depending on how the antennas are pointing, there may be a dead spot.

Comment

Since the instructor didn’t feel comfortable using the AR636A from my crashed P-47, I didn’t have another Rx to put in the FJ-3 & he had one in his field kit so he sold me the Orange for $15.

Comment

No we did not range test with the A/C in different positions but I will be sure to do that in future. During the maiden, we did not notice any signal issues. It was a successful maiden and it flew so stable. It tracked perfectly straight on the ground and rotated for takeoff by itself. I guess my first ARF build went well. I sure made a mess of trying to apply the decals though. They stuck to my fingers then ripped. I stopped applying decals after the first slop job and will leave the rest of the A/C without decals.

Comment

If you've flown it, it's likely not a concern anymore. I hate putting on decals.

Comment

Working...
                      X