X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RX antenna element placement

Your videos which show antenna placement are misstaken. The idea (shown incorrectly) is to have one receiver’s element in a horizontal orientation and the other in a vertical orientation so that regardless of the ships orientation, there is always one element in the correct plain to receive the strongest signal. The video showing the admiral rx in the corsair shows both in horizontal. Pointing one element vertically would be correct.

Are you referring to the "build" video for the new Flightline Corsair? If so, the part that showed the RX antennas was likely NOT the final orientation. That was a build video where they wanted to get it all put together and to show approximated illustrations of what it all looks like. He even said he hadn't even CG'd it yet. These people are experienced RC modelers and would know these things, as do most people who buy planes in this price range and experience level. Even so, the range of these modern day receivers is in "miles". The difference between the "strongest" signal (or "correct" antenna orientation) and the weaker (or "not correct") set up will likely be a matter of a fraction of a mile. A typical flyer of this type of warbird will fly well within the range of a "non correct" antenna orientation. Besides, we should all do range checks with the plane in different positions before we fly them, right? Unless you are flying long range FPV or a sailplane, having the "correct" antenna orientation vs a "non correct" one, isn't going to be a subject of heated debate. Most of us will lose sight of the plane and crash it long before we go out of range of a poorly placed antenna that passed a ranged test.
    This sort of information can be useful for newbies to RC but even here, they will likely crash long before their plane gets that far away. Most beginners will panic when the plane gets more than 500 feet away. If they can't see it, they will crash it. For most of us, if we can't see it at 3/4 of a mile, it really won't matter if we can't see it at 1 mile. On the most part and given the state of the art of these receivers, it's on the verge of nit picking.

Comment

So should one antenna be vertical? If so can it be glued or tied to the inside of the fuse?

Comment

"Should" is also a matter of personal view. I ensure that whatever way one antenna sits, the other one is at 90 degrees from that. So, if one is "vertical", the other can be aligned in line with the fuse or it can be in line with the plane of the wings. It's best to have two "planes" covered. I could have one pointed straight back and one to the side. In this case, neither is "vertical".
        About the fixing of the antennas. Personally, I don't use glue. I may use a strip of Blenderm tape do it.

Comment

Originally posted by casketdan View Post
          So should one antenna be vertical? If so can it be glued or tied to the inside of the fuse?
          Ideally by the "sciences" one should be vertical and the other in a horizontal plane.
          This forms the practical 90 degree radial reception for RF coverage that two antennas that are 90 degrees in the horizontal don't provide.
          This is all about helping to reduce "blindspots" and nothing to do range.

The actual mechanical fixing of the antenna can be accomplished with tape or glue just as long as the bare last half inch of the thin little whip is left untouched.
          I personally use Foam Tac to attach the antenna leads in position
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Working...
          X