X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recievers

Hello everyone. I have a question about receivers. I enjoy flying airplane with safe select the receiver of choice is the spectrum they are 636. If I were to purchase a free wing PNP kit and put in this receiver will it work

Hello Boltfan and welcome to the Squawk.
    PNP airframes don't care who's manufacturer Rx you use;) My only caveat is that the PNP should not have more than a 6 chan requirement for that 636.
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Hi Boltfan, welcome to Hobby Squawk! Any "PNP" model on the market from any brand won't care what receiver you plug into it in terms of whether the servo leads fit --they're an industry standard for the size range of airplanes we're talking about here so don't worry about plane-to-receiver physical compatibility. Your first consideration will be to ensure the receiver and radio are compatible with each other. In this case, both your radio and receiver are Spektrum, so you don't have to worry. Your next consideration will be whether the receiver you've selected is appropriate for the aircraft. This is where the "SAFE Select" receiver can get tricky, because in general the SAFE receivers are configured for specific aircraft under the Horizon Hobbies network (who owns Spektrum radios, Eflite/Parkzone/FMS airplanes, Blade helicopters, etc). There is a 949 page thread on RCGroups discussing which PNP planes from other brands, including Freewing, have been tested by pilots and confirmed to work with these SAFE type receivers. You could sort through that thread to see if anyone has had experience with the exact PNP model you're thinking of getting, and verify their experience was what you want. Note which radio model they used, and if they did any special tweaks to the stock settings other than what was out-of-the-box.

If you're looking an alternative for integrated stabilization (recovery mode, gyro, etc) in a receiver that is intended for general airplane use and thus can be used easily in any Freewing or other PNP plane with full access to its core features, I'd recommend considering the Admiral Stability Plus. This receiver is Spektrum compatible with almost all modern Spektrum radios, and many people here can chime in with their experience with it. In general it has been very positive.

At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

A separate Hobby Eagle gyro is another option, which plugs into any receiver from any brand and adds gyro stability and in some cases recovery ("bail out button").
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Boltfan View Post
        Hello everyone. I have a question about receivers. I enjoy flying airplane with safe select the receiver of choice is the spectrum they are 636. If I were to purchase a free wing PNP kit and put in this receiver will it work
        To add to what Alpha has already said ............................... If you buy a "blank" 636, no, it will not work until you program it to do what you want. If you buy a 636 that has been programmed for another existing Horizon Hobby plane with all the features you want, then it may or may not work. Due to the specificity of the programming for a given plane, you will still need to tweak the gyro gains and possibly even the servo direction as the existing gains and servo direction may not be suitable for your plane. To alter or program a 636, you will need a smart phone app and either the program cable or the Bluetooth attachment, the Bluetooth being the better choice.

Comment

I had a Maule M7, awesome airplane. Last fall I was flying the usual sunday morning and a youngster t-boned my Maule. Nothing left to fix. About this time I bought an FMS Kingfisher. Its a PNP. I swear by AS3X/Safe and use it for different maneuvers and landing, and if I'd realized it was a PNP I wouldn't have bought it. So when It came time to add a receiver I thought using the one out of the Maule I could have AS3X/Safe. Heres the sticky part, would it act like it was meant to? In most manuals they tell you that the receiver for a particular plane is programmed for that airplane. I wasn't sure what was going to happen when I got to the field. I wish I could tell you how it went but not flying the plane before I installed and bound to that receiver..... I have no basis to compare to. I flew the plane, and I'm not experienced with larger planes, and it felt heavy and "mushy". I landed it both times but not easily. Now I don't know whats normal for the Kingfisher and what kind of residual programming is left over from the Maule. I'm going to fly it again this evening with a higher rate than 70%, probably 85% and see if I fare better. Maybe she needs a little more juice to straighten up and act like a lady.We'll see. I might try and find someone with more experience and get their spin on the whole thing. I'll update later if youre interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Wakeley Jr. View Post
            I had a Maule M7, awesome airplane. Last fall I was flying the usual sunday morning and a youngster t-boned my Maule. Nothing left to fix. About this time I bought an FMS Kingfisher. Its a PNP. I swear by AS3X/Safe and use it for different maneuvers and landing, and if I'd realized it was a PNP I wouldn't have bought it. So when It came time to add a receiver I thought using the one out of the Maule I could have AS3X/Safe. Heres the sticky part, would it act like it was meant to? In most manuals they tell you that the receiver for a particular plane is programmed for that airplane. I wasn't sure what was going to happen when I got to the field. I wish I could tell you how it went but not flying the plane before I installed and bound to that receiver..... I have no basis to compare to. I flew the plane, and I'm not experienced with larger planes, and it felt heavy and "mushy". I landed it both times but not easily. Now I don't know whats normal for the Kingfisher and what kind of residual programming is left over from the Maule. I'm going to fly it again this evening with a higher rate than 70%, probably 85% and see if I fare better. Maybe she needs a little more juice to straighten up and act like a lady.We'll see. I might try and find someone with more experience and get their spin on the whole thing. I'll update later if youre interested.
            It's a good idea to find someone well versed in the 636. Looking at the Maule and the Kingfisher, they appear to be similar planes but look closely and I can see that the control surfaces are slightly different sizes and shapes. I believe the Maule can be flown on a 4 cell and with a higher kv motor, could fly much faster. All these things can contribute to why your Kingfisher flew oddly compared to the Maule. You may need to change the gains and the priorities to achieve the kind of flight you desire from the Kingfisher. From my past experience, it seems that when gains are high, the planes feels more mushy. Lower the gains and you get more response but less stability. Lower the gains too much and you may lose the features provided by SAFE.

Comment

Thanx xviper for your input. I did fly last night but not the Kingfisher. I figured I better know what a good plane feels like before I can assess the handling of another. I flew my new E-flite Cherokee and had a blast. This girl handles like a dream. On low rate, prop throwing grass in the air wind blowing my moustache around I flew two 3s batteries with it and had total faith in the plane by the time I left the field. I started a little early but the LED's on the wingtips and centered landing light made it easy to line up the landing. Testing new batteries, (Thrust 40C 2200mAh and Kinexsis F-Tek 40C 2200) with LEDs to signal charge condition I landed the plane like 5 or 6 times to see how we were doing. After 6 minutes I still had half a battery to go. So heres the million dollar questions - Will the Kingfisher handle like a Maule or a Kingfisher? I'm thinking it's going to be hard to distinguish but I'm on my way out to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Wakeley Jr. View Post
                Will the Kingfisher handle like a Maule or a Kingfisher? I'm thinking it's going to be hard to distinguish but I'm on my way out to see.
                From what I understand from your last post, you've already flown the Kingfisher with the 636 from the Maule and found it "mushy and heavy". Your next flights will be with the same plane and 636 but you have altered the rates to give you more throw (higher rates). From what I've seen in my planes with gyros, depending on how the gains are set up (and with the 636 - how the "priorities" are set up), you may find that the gyro can dumb down the rates no matter what you've got them dialed to. On a couple of my planes (one with 636 and one with a different gyro), so long as the gyro is ON, there seems to be very minimal difference between 50% and 100% rates. Only when I turn the gyro OFF, do I actually get the chosen rate. Let us know what you discover with yours. If you detect no difference, that might mean that some other parameter in the 636 programming needs to be altered to reduce the mushiness/heaviness. If you are still using the "SAFE select" where the limiter is active, then changing the rates may result in very little change in "feel".

Comment

Well, it started raining before I could get a couple flights in this morning so I won't have a chance to try "tricking" the Kingfisher to acting like one.

Comment

Well I gotta tell y'all, putting an AR636A receiver in my Kingfisher, out of a Maule, was one of the coolest ideas I've had. This plane flies so nice now I can't get enough of flying it!

Comment

Ive been flying that Kingfisher with the Maule 636 in it and I don't have a single complaint. Turns out the "mushiness" disappeared with my rates at 85 instead of the low rate being 70. I can loop, spin, stall turn and a lot of other maneuvers I don't have names for. So if you wreck your Maule, dont feel too bad..... Theres a lion in a Kingfisher just waiting for that receiver!

Comment

Guys, I gotta tell ya.... I LOVE the Maule/Kingfisher ( King Maule? Maulefisher? Fingmisher?) and recommend it to everyone. I didn't change anything,I didn't have to. I'm getting 14 - 16 minute flights with a 3 cell battery. ( I love the batteries with the LED in them - no guessing or searching for charge indicator - pricey but worth it ) I got tired of waiting for the wind to calm down so I flew her yesterday in 10 - 15 mph winds with the occasional 25 mph gust, and it was good flying. I guess what I want to convey is don't be afraid of trying something new or different. You might find a gem.

Comment

That's good advice, Bill, "don't be afraid of trying something new or different"
                          :Cool:
                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

:Cool: My Grandmother taught me - Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Comment

As a timid flyer, the Kingfisher is the only one of my airplanes I will try when the winds get up above 10-15mph. I have flown it in gust up to 20 and really feel quite comfortable with it, unless of course it is a direct cross during landing. Then, its landing roll is so short, I land across the runway into the wind.

Comment

Thanks for all the input everyone. You all have confirmed my suspicions.

Comment

Working...
                                X