X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 channel admiral reciever?

since motion rc is coming out with all these nice hand toss airplanes(small) why cant we get a 4 channel receiver for them. I just got a shirke and had to use a 6 channel rec. I also got the fl fw 190 and another 6 chn will go in it.. just my 2 cents maybe some1 from mrc will respond to this.

Spektrum used to make the AR400 (4-ch). The last one I bought cost around $40.00. Then along came Lemon (makers of the Admiral) with their basic 6-ch RX that cost ~$12.00. Quite frankly, why bother with a 4-ch at all. Just buy the 6-ch and don’t use 2 of the channels. I’m not “MRC” but if I were, I wouldn’t bother with a 4-ch when it really isn’t going to save much money and wouldn’t have that much demand.

Comment

okay I don't know where you came up with 12 bucks for a 6 chan rec? I know the satellite is 12 bucks. I think they could easily make a 4 chan for 15 bucks.. just my 2 cents

Comment

OK, 12 bucks is just for the RX. It costs a whopping $17.60US for the same RX with sat.

I'm sure they could make a 4-ch for a bit less but why would they when most people will simply buy the 6-ch.? So, let's stick with Admiral. An Admiral 6-ch and sat. costs $34.00. If they made a 4-ch, it might shave off a few bucks. The overall size of it will be the same, just with 2 sets fewer pins. There's no weight or size savings and really, most people in this hobby don't need to save 5 bucks on a 35 buck item.
        Just checked the new Spektrum AR620, 6-ch. It sells for 40 bucks, the same as what the AR400 sold for when they were still current. I guess they stopped making the 4-ch because there wasn't a market for it and it cost about the same to make the 6-ch. Most people buy the 6-ch. Horizon even puts a 6-ch in their BNF 3-ch planes (eg, Radian). When you crash the plane, you can still use the RX in another plane that will likely need more channels.
        Not to say your 2 cents isn't valid (for you). I just don't think it's valid for the manufacturer.

Comment

I know but if manf. are going to make small planes with little to no room(ie shrike-mrc) maybe they should consider rec. that will fit better. sry to keep going but I understand where you are coming from.

Comment

Xvipers analogy of the manufactures probable rationale is spot on.
            When Spektrum discontinued the AR400 it wasn't too far afterwards that the aftermarket brands quit making 4 channel ones too.
            The only 4 chan DSMX Rx that I am aware that still exists is the OrangeRx R410X available from Hobby King.
            It is still $5-10 more expensive than the 6 chan Lemons
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I understand now that overall “size” is your concern and not the cost savings. In that sense, the old AR400 was not that much smaller than the old AR600. When installing such things in tight spaces, one just has to be a bit inventive. It may take experimenting with orientation of the RX or even some foam excavation. I’ve done both on some planes.
              As an aside but still related, the original Radian sailplane came with an AR400 and it was tight. Today’s Radians now come with a 6-ch RX and they make it fit.

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                Xvipers analogy of the manufactures probable rationale is spot on.
                When Spektrum discontinued the AR400 it wasn't too far afterwards that the aftermarket brands quit making 4 channel ones too.
                The only 4 chan DSMX Rx that I am aware that still exists is the OrangeRx R410X available from Hobby King.
                It is still $5-10 more expensive than the 6 chan Lemons
                Spektrum has a newer 4 channel Rx. The AR410. I bought one a while back for a plane that was tight in the battery compartment and out of curiosity. They are long and skinny compared to most RXs and they are antenna-less so it makes them easier to put in some spots.

With that said, I only bought one because for $10 less I can have an Admiral 6 channel with diversity antennas that I trust more.

The AR410 DSMX 4-Channel Sport Receiver by Spektrum is quality built and designed to last. See all our remote controlled radio systems and parts online at Horizon Hobby!

Comment

Well, surprise! Didn't know there was one. That AR410's overall "volume" is bigger than the old AR400. It's bigger in every dimension. $30.00 is still in keeping with something like this from Spektrum, but as already said, I'd rather pay less for a Lemon 6-ch and get what I consider a better product. The Lemon 6-ch is dimensionally smaller than the old AR400, except for the sat, which can be shoved almost anywhere.
                  It's almost like cars. Over time, they are getting bigger and bigger. I don't think the production lifespan of that AR410 will be very long. Those new antenna-less Spektrum RXs haven't seemed to have ballooned in popularity. However, buy a bunch if that's the kind of thing you want.

Comment

Working...
                  X