X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receiver power

first electric warbird. Do I power receiver with throttle lead from ESC or do I use a separate battery as we do with a gas plane? Thanks

Welcome to the Squawk Dan.
    A little more info would be helpful.
    What size servos and how many?
    How big an ESC and power voltage (?S) system are you using?
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Welcome to Hobby Squawk casketdan! The answer to your question will depend on the warbird you are refering to. Could you give more details on what bird you are considering or working on?

Much comes into play. If it's a bird that comes with all or most of the electronics installed, it will likely use what comes supplied. If it's a kit built or ARF, the answer will depend on the size and power set-up that the plane is designed for.

A few more details and the community here can get you going in the right direction.

Comment

Thanks guys. Aircraft is FMS 1500 P47. Power is Admiral 6cell 6000ma. 7 servos. Tx/rd is Futaba 6 channel 2.4g with matching 3006 receiver. There is a lead from the esc to the receiver on channel 3 for throttle. Will this power the receiver? When I ran gas I powered the engine with one battery and the receiver with another
        ​​​​​

Comment

The receiver is powered by the throttle lead coming from the ESC on that plane. It will supply all the power the receiver, servos and retracts need. That's a nice plane. Enjoy.

Comment

Thanks, I was hoping that would be the case. Didn't mind using a second bat for rx if needed. Will get my battery charged and get it bound and ready to set up controls. Weather in KY still not conducive to flying.

Comment

My Futuba manual does not state whether my servo leads should be connected to all six receiver ports during the binding process. My rx is the 3006sb. It simply says to turn on the receiver,which would be supplied power by the throttle lead from the esc. Ok to use the switch that came with the tx/rx in line between the esc and the 3 port in the rx? Seems easier that way. Thanks gentlmen. As I said, first electric bird, all new tech for a 72 year old kid.

Comment

I'd like to help you casketdan, but I'm going to have to defer this one to someone more familiar with the current Futaba radios.

Comment

Originally posted by casketdan View Post
                  My Futuba manual does not state whether my servo leads should be connected to all six receiver ports during the binding process. My rx is the 3006sb. It simply says to turn on the receiver,which would be supplied power by the throttle lead from the esc. Ok to use the switch that came with the tx/rx in line between the esc and the 3 port in the rx? Seems easier that way. Thanks gentlmen. As I said, first electric bird, all new tech for a 72 year old kid.
                  As far as binding, your receiver just needs to be powered to bind to your transmitter. If you want to set up Fail Safe Presets, in case of Rx link loss to your Tx, then you would want all your servos and ESC plugged in so you can get those control surface and throttle positions correct when setting the Fail Safe positions.

And as for using the switch, as long as your switch has all 3 wires (ground, power, and signal), and all three wires have continuity on either side of the switch, when the switch is on, you could put that in line with the ESC servo port wire. I wouldn't suggest it though. You may get away with it, but it's not something I like to do. You just need to keep in mind, when you plug your main power battery in, the ESC is powered, you will hear it do the first initialization beeps on the motor, the final 2 beeps will only come when the ESC gets a 0 throttle position from the receiver. So there is a slight issue with safety having the ESC powered (ready to spool up that powerful brushless motor) but no solid throttle position command from the receiver. Hope this clears up some of the mystery.

Comment

Working...
                  X