X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new DX9 transmitter

Has anyone seen or tried out the new Spektrum DX9 transmitter? I have a DX8 and love it, but never would have believed that I could run out of a 30 model memory so quickly! The DX9 is claiming a 250 model memory. If nothing else is changed over the DX8, the model memory would sell me, but I know there are also other new features, and only about 50.00 more than what I paid for the DX8 a year ago! Seems like it is almost too good to be true. Any thoughts or comments?

Re: The new DX9 transmitter

I was told today at out local hobby shop that the DX9 would be on the shelves about Sept 17th or so.
    $399.95 Looks like the DX18 but it had Voice response for timer, telemetry ect... Very cool
    Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

I just checked out the DX9. Interesting. Do Spektrum receivers have built-in battery telemetry? I've been waiting on the Hitec Aurora 9X for over 6 months now. One of the key features I like about that transmitter is I can use Optima receivers in all my models and have battery voltage telemetry without additional hardware. I am currently just shy of 40 planes and would like to equip each with a telemetry capable receiver like the Optima series. If Spektrum has a receiver line with this feature it might end my transmitter wait. I really like the DX9's voice feature and the 250 model memory. Not sure how it stacks up against the Aurora 9X otherwise?

Comment

Sorry, I don't know anything about the Hitec Aurora or Optima receivers. I am fairly new to the hobby, only flying for just under 2 years now, and have only used the Spektrum and Tactic radios and transmitters. Both are excellent and I have had no issues with either brand. I have never used a telemetry feature, though I can see how that would be worthwhile! Good luck with your search, I think you could probably find your answer by going to the Horizon website and posting a question there regarding the DX9 and any telemetry functions.

Comment

The only part of the telemetry function I am interested in is the live battery voltage feed. Instead of relying on a timer to know when its time to land, you can actually see what's left "in the tank" in real time. This would be especially handy with models like the Fox, V-Tail, and Calypso powered gliders where you are doing a lot of sailing. For most systems, it appears you need a separate telemetry module. With the Hitec Optima transmitters, the battery telemetry is built-in. Hence my draw towards the Aurora 9X. Plus the 9X has built-in SLT compatibility and I have a couple Flyzone models that came with SLT receivers. I could sacrifice the SLT compatibility, but I would really like a system where the receivers have built-in battery telemetry. Buying 40+ telemetry modules would be cost-prohibitive.

Comment

I saw you mentioned the Calypso glider. I have been interested in trying a powered glider and the Calypso is one I like. Have you been pleased with it, and does it fly well for a first glider? I have several Flyzone planes as well, one of my favorites is the Cessna Corvalis. Thanks for any suggestions!

Comment

I received the Calypso early this week and have not assembled her yet. She arrived in perfect condition, and the foam has a very nice finish. I love the green & black color scheme. Especially nice is the color is on both top & bottom so keeping visual tabs on her at altitude will be easy. Assembly should be very fast...one screw for the tail feathers, one for each wing. Main wing linkages are already connected, and the tail horns are already installed. I ordered the RX-R model so just install the receiver and adjust the linkages and she is ready for flight. I ordered the flap kit for mine so a few more minutes to install the flap components.

I have three powered gliders...the FMS Fox, RocHobby V-Tail, and now the Flyzone Calypso. All three are still in the box. The other Flyzone model I have is the DHC-2 "Beaver." Alas, the Beaver is still in the box also, but the components are beautiful.

Comment

Put your Beaver together. You'll love it. They fly like a dream!

Comment

I use a separate telemetry unit for my DX8. It has many functions that I think you might like. The unit is easily removed to use on different planes. Moreover, there has been a price decrease since I purchased my units. The DX 9 has built in telemetry.

Comment

I recently purchased the black DX 9 from HH thus far it has cost me a 1500 mm P47 a Me 262 and 200 mm F16 at first I thought it was on the 262 a loose wire on the f16 it was heavy and beat up then I lost my p47

Then I thought it was the admiral receivers mind you I thought that I should use my spectrum telemetry receiver and check readings and alerts

So I put one in my trusty 1400 mm zero and low and behold only 70 percent signal ten feet from plane

BTW before every flight of the previous I range tested and it was fine

You can only see the events with telemetry enabled

On the spectrum receiver

So I'll send it back

Get it repaired and have a spare for park flyers or beaters use my DX 6i for now

And buy a futaba radio asap

HH and spectrum for me has been of late turning out junk everything from inferior speed controllers to bad servos and now an expensive radio

Take my advice ....

Avoid all HH products and spectrum

Chinese manufacturing is turning to garbage

Futaba is made in Japan

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyrabuse View Post
                      I recently purchased the black DX 9 from HH thus far it has cost me a 1500 mm P47 a Me 262 and 200 mm F16 at first I thought it was on the 262 a loose wire on the f16 it was heavy and beat up then I lost my p47

Then I thought it was the admiral receivers mind you I thought that I should use my spectrum telemetry receiver and check readings and alerts

So I put one in my trusty 1400 mm zero and low and behold only 70 percent signal ten feet from plane

BTW before every flight of the previous I range tested and it was fine

You can only see the events with telemetry enabled

On the spectrum receiver

So I'll send it back

Get it repaired and have a spare for park flyers or beaters use my DX 6i for now

And buy a futaba radio asap

HH and spectrum for me has been of late turning out junk everything from inferior speed controllers to bad servos and now an expensive radio

Take my advice ....

Avoid all HH products and spectrum

Chinese manufacturing is turning to garbage

Futaba is made in Japan

​​​​​​
                      It's all very sinister, the way marketing, brand loyalty and actual production quality works out. I've played drums for 50 years and I used to buy only American drum stuff. 40 years ago, "Made In Japan" was crap! The quality was suspect and there was lots of cursing. It has taken Japan 60 years to gain consumer appreciation for their quality products. Today, there are many people searching eBay for Made In Japan stuff. I'm one of them. The Chinese are bummed out that the world is unhappy with their versions of Western products. It's easy to slap a "brand loyalty" label on something, but what is it really made of? The CEO's of the world ditched their own countries and headed for China for the promise of cheap labour and cheaper materials. Even the Swiss; Germans and Austrians are handing over their quality stuff to the Communists...Something has to break...I call it "Made In America"...or wherever else you're from and even though it will cost more and it will be painful, quality must be returned to it's rightful owners.....

Comment

Originally posted by AirHead View Post

It's all very sinister, the way marketing, brand loyalty and actual production quality works out. I've played drums for 50 years and I used to buy only American drum stuff. 40 years ago, "Made In Japan" was crap! The quality was suspect and there was lots of cursing. It has taken Japan 60 years to gain consumer appreciation for their quality products. Today, there are many people searching eBay for Made In Japan stuff. I'm one of them. The Chinese are bummed out that the world is unhappy with their versions of Western products. It's easy to slap a "brand loyalty" label on something, but what is it really made of? The CEO's of the world ditched their own countries and headed for China for the promise of cheap labour and cheaper materials. Even the Swiss; Germans and Austrians are handing over their quality stuff to the Communists...Something has to break...I call it "Made In America"...or wherever else you're from and even though it will cost more and it will be painful, quality must be returned to it's rightful owners.....
                        It's true for over ten years maybe 15 I've flown spectrum radios lost a few but didn't have the stick time I do now

After buying the p 51 and seeing FMS components in it and the poor quality of design and integrity of components it's a plane I regret purchasing

But I bought it mainly for the airframe so I'll do what I do and get it right

But the new A10 and Sukoi it's not happening

It takes years to develope a customer following and weeks or months to destroy it

I almost went taranus but Japan wins

Futaba has been in business since 1948 has 5000 employees 8 percent of profit goes to Rd

Spectrum has 500

The profit goes into you tube videos and con men

I easily spend 5k a year on this hobby

HH won't see another dime from me neither will FMS

As time goes on these and a few others will be in the same room as Banana hobby and nitro planes

Especially with the current economic climate

Comment

Just ordered a futaba radio ....

Sorry spectrum I'm just not feeling it anymore

Comment

After much experimentation I have found certain receivers (admiral receivers) to be unreliable with my new DX 9 but are rock solid with my old DX 6

Since using the new 8 channel and six channel spectrum receivers I have had no issues with the new DX 9

Black edition

I received a now I have a spare dg 14

Comment

Admirals hate the Dx8 gen 2 I just bought lost 3 planes yesterday I’m dumping this spektrum stuff

Comment

Johnnyabuse, I actually have 4 Admiral 600sp receiver's and i"m using a dx9 black edition transmitter and I have not had any problems< go to Motion RC on you tube to see how to properly set the receiver up I have one installed on a Freewing L39 albatross

Comment

Originally posted by steven gubala View Post
                                  Johnnyabuse, I actually have 4 Admiral 600sp receiver's and i"m using a dx9 black edition transmitter and I have not had any problems< go to Motion RC on you tube to see how to properly set the receiver up I have one installed on a Freewing L39 albatross
                                  Thanks I only use the spectrum receivers now and two months later hundreds of flights no issues I pay more sure but the jets 500 and the battery another 100 so it’s like insurance

Comment

@Jphhnyrabuse, I understand what you mean, what spektrum receiver are you using AR637T?

Comment

Looking for some tips on programming the free wing F-14 tomcat. Need to disable flaps when wing is swept back. Is that a mix or a flight mode? I’m using all spectrum, nine channel receiver, DX 9. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Flyingace123 View Post
                                        Looking for some tips on programming the free wing F-14 tomcat. Need to disable flaps when wing is swept back. Is that a mix or a flight mode? I’m using all spectrum, nine channel receiver, DX 9. Thanks
                                        In the F-14 thread, I was advised that this can't be done, at least not with a Spektrum. Not only do you need to disable the flaps but you must have a way to put them back to level quickly before you sweep the wings (in case you forget to do it yourself first) because you don't want to disable them in the down position. As was put to me, this is one of those things that we must take ownership of when we fly this plane. IE, lift flaps before throwing the switch for sweep. Don't touch the flaps when wings are swept.

Comment

Working...
                                        X