You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RX700T Mounting Question, Flat? Crash investigation.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RX700T Mounting Question, Flat? Crash investigation.

I've used Spektrum receivers for the most part and tried an RX700T which may or may not have had an issue. I'm trying to figure out what caused me to lose the airplane a Freewing 6S Hawk T1 “Red Arrow” High Performance 70mm on the maiden flight. I've seen that some Admiral's should be mounted flat, but I'm assuming that's for gyro receivers and not this one. Is that correct? Mine was not flat. I lost the ability to control the aircraft shortly into the takeoff roll and all controls went non responsive. After it left the ground it wound up smashing into the ground upside down at full throttle. I was able to kill the power with the throttle cut off switch. Odd that the throttle cutoff worked and the other controls did not. Used the transmitter all day before and after with the Freewing L-39 without issue, but that one has a Spektrum receiver.

The only other thing I can think of is on the first attempted takeoff the impeller separated at rotation and chewed up the inside a bit. I guess technically that was the maiden. At first glance I don't see any wires chewed up etc. but will have to look further. I should have been able to mount the receiver aft of the blue box and not level, is that correct?

Since it's not a gyro RX, it doesn't matter how it's mounted. However, did you have the antennas fixed to cover 2 directions? (ie, at 90 degrees to each other?) Additionally, did you use a satellite RX? I don't trust just those two shorty antennas in the base unit, even if they are mounted at 90 degrees. I've been using the Lemon equivalent of this unit but I also have the satellite.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
      Since it's not a gyro RX, it doesn't matter how it's mounted. However, did you have the antennas fixed to cover 2 directions? (ie, at 90 degrees to each other?) Additionally, did you use a satellite RX? I don't trust just those two shorty antennas in the base unit, even if they are mounted at 90 degrees. I've been using the Lemon equivalent of this unit but I also have the satellite.
      They were at 90 degrees to each other, but no satellite.

Comment

How did it range test? Mine failed without the sat.

Comment

How did it range test? Mine failed without the sat.
          It worked fine, however, I only went about 40 feet. Should have gone further. So you're happy with the receiver with the added satellite?

Comment

40 feet is not enough. The standard range test is 100 feet. I've used the Lemon equivalent with sat in a sailplane up over 1500 feet altitude with no loss of signal. I think a satellite is a must with these "diversity" antennas. I haven't had much luck with them without the sat in the past, however, I have two new ones coming that don't have a satellite port so I shall range test them at the extreme before the planes go up. Also, your receiver isn't too close to the battery or power cables are they?

Comment

+1 with what xviper has offered so far.

I too strongly recommend using sat receivers. Afterall, you can never have too much signal reception.

In addition, I recommend doing a range test with the aircraft in as many different orientations as possible. What this does is look for any potential receiver "blind spots". This is especially important on these smaller EDF jets where everything is packed inside pretty close together.

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                In addition, I recommend doing a range test with the aircraft in as many different orientations as possible. What this does is look for any potential receiver "blind spots". This is especially important on these smaller EDF jets where everything is packed inside pretty close together.
                So true. I did that with my big A-10. I drove it out to about 100 feet distance and while in range test mode, I drove it in a circle, stopping at various points in the circle to make sure all is well. It wasn't. During parts of the circle, the plane just kept going on its own after I shut down the throttle. It went until it reached another point in the circle before it stopped. Upon inspection, the lead to the sat receiver had worked its way out a bit, bouncing in and out as it rolled on the ground. Pushing it back in, it was fine. After I brought it back to the bench, both lights on the RX and the satellite were blinking indicating it had lost signal.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll try the satellite. My knee jerk reaction is to go back to Spektrum receivers, but I want to give the Admiral a chance. The airplane isn't worth fixing so what are some recommendations for a replacement? I considered just buying another one, but they are out of stock and have a few "open box" versions of the plane which makes me wonder about the airplane itself. The paint was just flaking off in a few spots as well. They were small places, but not seen this before in any Freewing product.

Anyway, who has a recommendation? Might still get another Hawk. I'd like to keep it 80mm or less as I have the L-39 and could take two in my car. The 90mm F-22 takes up the whole space.

Considered the Avanti briefly, but after talking with some folks, I changed my mind as I thought it'd be an L-39 (flight characteristic wise) in a different body.

Comment

Take a look at the new T-33. Read what you can about by-passing the blue box for the main control surfaces.

Comment

Take a look at the new T-33. Read what you can about by-passing the blue box for the main control surfaces.
                      Ordered one. Looks like a nice aircraft. Thanks for pointing it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Chilly Bear View Post

Ordered one. Looks like a nice aircraft. Thanks for pointing it out.
                        NIce! Also, note that even though the retract mounting plates may seem that they are glued in well, you might consider giving the retracts (mains) a good pry in all directions. Where you see the mount lift, try to squeeze some glue in there. Just recently, forum postings have shown retracts yanking out the mount on what seemed like very soft landings.

Comment

Working...
                        X