Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Airware App Crashing in iX12

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airware App Crashing in iX12

Do any of you have the Spektrum iX12 radio? I am really regretting selling my rock-solid stable DX18. I've had the iX12 for a couple years now and it's been okay I guess but lately whenever I power up the radio I get a crash notification saying that Airware App is "unresponsive..." Try again later, etc...This screws me like it did today when I drove 15 miles to a field to fly and the dang app won't even start up to access my model(s)! VERY frustrating!

I've tried everything. Rebooting, powering off/on, switching the WiFi off/on...Nothing. Just that same notice saying the app is unresponsive. Anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm about ready to throw it through a window, lol.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

There are two guys at the field that have the IX12 and one has the IX20 and all have been sent back for one reason or the other, one had been back three times now. sorry for your troubles.

AMA 424553

Comment

That's what I was afraid of. All these bells and whistles for what? An unreliable app that crashes here and there? Garbage. Guess this is what I get for buying Beta product. Maybe in a few years the tech will actually work like it should. Sigh. Back to a DX9 I go.
      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
        Do any of you have the Spektrum iX12 radio? I am really regretting selling my rock-solid stable DX18. I've had the iX12 for a couple years now and it's been okay I guess but lately whenever I power up the radio I get a crash notification saying that Airware App is "unresponsive..." Try again later, etc...This screws me like it did today when I drove 15 miles to a field to fly and the dang app won't even start up to access my model(s)! VERY frustrating!

I've tried everything. Rebooting, powering off/on, switching the WiFi off/on...Nothing. Just that same notice saying the app is unresponsive. Anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm about ready to throw it through a window, lol.
        Perform a factory reset. This will clean out any Android apps and crud from upgrades that maybe causing the conflict.

Comment

Thanks definitely an idea for next time. I was able to clear out the cache and do a firmware update. It seems to be fixed (for now). Looks like a major firmware update too! Would have been nice if Spektrum bothered letting customers know, or have it configured to auto-update when there is a major firmware update. Had no idea.
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I was hoping that the latest versions of the IX12 would have all the issues resolved but since you only bought this a month and a half ago, I take it Horizon has not fixed anything? Is there a problem with the IX20, too?
            Does performing the factory reset resolve anything. And what does that do? Does it remove all the APPS that were put in after purchase? What if the new owner never put any APPS into it at all or never did any upgrades? Can these by used right out of the box without putting junk into it? Or are they like computers? As soon as you get it home, you must power it up and perform all the "updates" before it'll work?

Comment

Aros, about the manual ......................... you do know that you can go to the IX12 webpage at HH and download the manual and print it off it so desired? It shouldn't cost any more than buying one and having it shipped - probably less since you can print off only in the language of choice, where the actual manual is in all languages.

I got a little spooked by this thread, so I just went out and bought a new DX9. I will avoid planes that require more than 9 channels, so hopefully the 9 will last me the rest of my flying days.

Comment

Yeah I know I can print it out, and almost did but it was like 300+ pages which I think would cause my printer to start sparking and smoking, lol...

Good call on the DX9. Not many models are going to require more than 9 channels. The DX9 and DX18 were my favorite radios and I wish I never bought the iX12. They got me on the color, touch screen but the radio is so bloated with needless technology it just bogs it down. I love how I just turn on the DX18 and boom! It's up and ready to go! The iX12 if it's not in quick sleep mode takes a good 90 seconds or more just to boot up to the AirWare app!

Beta technology. Maybe in 5 years I will try the new tech radios again but for now nothing beats these older radios that still are highly capable for programming and mixes, telemetry, etc...
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Exactly. I don’t want or need my radio to have access to an internet browser, order pizza, and further unnecessary features. I purely want the transmitter to program and control the aircraft effectively and reliably. Being built off Android in the manner it is, does not what makes me feel comfortable. I far prefer the DX9 and DX18.

I love technology, and enjoy purchasing new radios and accessories just to see how they operate. Eventually, radios that have apps, etc. may be the future and become commonplace, but at the moment I'd rather wait until the technology for RC matures a bit until diving fully in.

Comment

Exactly!
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Hi gents, I have had carpal tunnel for 50+ years and recently pinched a nerve in my right shoulder/neck somewhere. Now my right thumb is numb or in pins and needles sensation on the outside edge opposite my fingernail all the time. Trying to use the thumb roller on my DX9 actually hurts after a while. Its right where I grip the stick too.

I am a new member of the El Dorado RC Flyers outside of Sacramento and have been told that Spectrum radios get hit with interference at our field. Several planes have crashed and totally destroyed.

Should I look at getting the iX12 for the touchscreen or is there an alternative? Based on this thread and the issue at our field, I am questioning using the iX12. I use an Android phone so the interface is familiar.
                      Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
                      Donn (Just Plane Crazy)

Comment

Although I haven't heard of any recent glitches on the IX-12 (since the last update), there's always the IX-20 but it's really expensive. There also other brands that are Spektrum compatible that don't have scroll wheels. This is if you want to keep all your Spektrum receivers. Then there are brands like Jeti, Futaba, Graupner but those may require you to change out your receivers. Also take a look at the stuff HobbyKing sells. Some of those may suit your needs.

Comment

I've had my iX12 since its initial release. Probably one of the first batch produced. It's been back to HH once to fix a complete crash and lockup a couple of years ago due to a corrupted update and patch. As much as I'd love to hate it, it fits my hands perfectly and is the most well-balanced transmitter I've ever held. Sure, I think HH and its products are becoming far too proprietary and that they are "dumbing down" the hobby but I can't help but love the radio. I installed the latest update last week and now I find that my dashboard timer doesn't work properly anymore. The audio prompts and countdown works normally but the numbers never change from "5:00". I use the "throttle over 25%" as a trigger so changing to a switch activation may be a short term fix until HH releases a patch. I'm not the only one either. I've read on RCG of multiple accounts of the same issue since updating.
                          I've said all that to say this; the iX12 is a wonderful radio. My experience is that if it works and you're happy with the features, don't "fix" it! Leave it alone! Enjoy it! Every time I update it I have to deal with weeks of issues. One HH works this problem out I swear I will NEVER update it again. Famous last words...........😂

Comment

So, what you're saying is the IX-12 is like "Bridezilla". Nice to hold, fits in your hands real good and she balances real well in most positions but at times, she freezes up on you and tells you to get off your duff and clean the house when it doesn't need it. I don't update anymore either. I did that once and it took years and years to make it work and still, there are glitches.

Comment

My perception is the developers are the primary testers, and this is a #1 no no in software development. Horizon needs a more standard development process with an independent testing department and bug tracking outside of a 300page discussion on rc groups.

Comment

Working...
                              X