X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiomaster TX16S

Been reading about the new TX16s quite a bit and decided to order one. I've been very interested in OpenTx and was looking at a Taranis. But when I saw this was coming out, I made the choice. I have a few helicopters of different brands (XK, Art Tech, etc) that came with their own receiver and transmitter. I've been able to bind and set up all these helicopters using one radio, including a tugboat, one of my WPL trucks, and a few airplanes. I haven't done any significant range testing yet, but its been great so far.

I'm really interested in your thoughts on this radio, CM_Aero . Please keep us posted on how it handles your planes, boats, and trucks!
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
      I'm really interested in your thoughts on this radio, CM_Aero . Please keep us posted on how it handles your planes, boats, and trucks!
      For the price, it can't be beat so far! I'll keep y'all updated. Learning Fusion360, openTX and chasing 2 toddlers (under 2) around, i'm pretty busy!

Comment

I dont have the RM, went with the T18 for the inbuilt 900mhz capability but came from the original Jumper T16 - functionally these are all the same thing. OpenTX coupled with a multi protocol module is game changingly good. Ended up going so far down the rabbit hole that I now have the T16 and T18 set up with the same custom ID in the multi protocol module firmware, so at all times there is a spare radio at the field, with every model setup and bound, ready to go at a moment's notice if there is an issue with the primary radio. All for less than the price of what a single DX6 costs here. I am tempted to grab the radiomaster and do the same.

Notwithstanding that radiomaster seems to have the upper hand on QC compared to Jumper, i think it's worth popping the back of the case open on 'this kind' of radio just to make sure everything looks like it has been assembled properly. If it came with an SD card, replace it with a brand name one.

OpenTX really shines when it comes a more complex aircraft configurations - here's what the Freewing F-14 looks like lol.

Click image for larger version  Name:	f14mix.jpg Views:	0 Size:	132.4 KB ID:	268708

Comment

Originally posted by mshagg View Post
          Notwithstanding that radiomaster seems to have the upper hand on QC compared to Jumper, i think it's worth popping the back of the case open on 'this kind' of radio just to make sure everything looks like it has been assembled properly. If it came with an SD card, replace it with a brand name one.

I've opened the transmitter up to relocate the momentary switch from the right side to the left side because my throttle cut is normally on the right and I didn't want a momentary switch for that. Found a video on youtube from RCVideoReviews for the modification. He has put together many videos about openTx and the TX16s that have been very informative.

As far as looking at the internals, the wiring was neat and everything looked solid to me. Not sure how I like the case that was included, other than the fact that it protects the radio well. It just doesn't have a handle to carry the case. What I do like is open companion. It's a great way to play around with programming and then simulate how everything will function.

Comment

OpenTX is fantastic together with the companion. I do almost no major programming changes on the radio, it's so easy to use the companion and download/upload even at the field. My Taranis will be replaced after this season, the RM16S is patiently waiting in a drawer. My daughter has the Jumper T12 with OpenTX which suits her hands size better and I manage all models from the same companion even if we're only buddyboxing atm. No problem using a T12 and X9D+ together. Will be interesting to hear more on any findings with the RM.

Comment

I just picked up one of these myself about a week ago. Not to replace Spektrum as my daily driver for my fixed wing planes, but for flying Quads. I paired it up with a Crossfire module. I'm new to OpenTX, Crossfire, etc, and I must say, I am pretty darn impressed with the quality of the TX16S so far. It's proving to be a great radio. Possibly one of the best on the market for the price!

Comment

Finally got the XK K124 dialed in. It took a lot longer than planned because the swashplate broke during the third flight an no one has them in stock. But I managed to find one on eBay and it finally arrived yesterday. Setting it up on the Radiomaster was straight forward after watching a few videos on youtube. Check out RCVideoReviews - John has some great content on OpenTX, specifically with the TX16S. Also, John Salt from Rchelicopterfun.com has some great videos on youtube with setting up helicopters in OpenTx.

In regards to setting up vehicles, it's very straight forward, but I don't plan on using it for the crawlers or tugboat. I prefer the wheel controller, so gonna stick with that.

Comment

Another great feature using the TX16S. Plug in the USB and select joystick. Was able to fly the sim on my computer - CGM rc Heli Simulator. Just had to calibrate the transmitter within the program and its working great. Haven't tried using it with PC-based real flight yet.

Comment

So I've had my Radiomaster TX16S for a little while now, but hadn't really used it for anything other than Crossfire...

This past weekend I started doing a little more with my fixed wing stuff and giving it a good workout.

So far I have to say I am very impressed with the flexibility of OpenTX. There is a pretty steep learning curve, for sure, but I haven't run into any situation yet that it can't handle with ease. In fact, in many cases once you get it working it works better than other radios out there costing many times more.

I love the logical switching in particular, which allowed me to set up a timer that only runs when the stick is above 25% and the throttle kill is disengaged. Many will run the timer on the stick being above 25% only. Or not being able to disengage the throttle cut until the throttle stick is at zero. Using an unused trimmer as a reset button...

These are all functions of OpenTX I know... And that is what I am truly learning is OpenTX...

With that said, and I hope this comes off the way I intend it to... The TX16S hardware has been nearly transparent to me..

I am coming from an iX12, so the TX16S feels a little different, but was instantly familiar. Switches and trimmers are in similar locations, the gimbals feel fantastic outside of the ratcheting throttle clicking... But that's easy to remove...

Navigating the OpenTX interface has taken some time, but the radio itself feels like an old friend. When I'm flying with it, it just works, it feels good and everything is where I want it...

For sub $200, this is a seriously good transmitter, and I am really considering making it my go to transmitter. It's really good... :D

Comment

Do you remember how you set this up to work with a WPL truck? I can't find what protocol they use.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidneylopsides View Post
                        Do you remember how you set this up to work with a WPL truck? I can't find what protocol they use.
                        Since I've upgrade the WPL truck with proportional steering and ESC/motor, I had to install a different receiver. I used a FlySky receiver. I'm not sure what the stock receiver protocol is either.

Comment

Originally posted by CM_Aero View Post

Since I've upgrade the WPL truck with proportional steering and ESC/motor, I had to install a different receiver. I used a FlySky receiver. I'm not sure what the stock receiver protocol is either.
                          Ah fair enough! Mine came with their proportional system, and I've used it in a small 3D printed build as it's nice and compact. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

I have a tx16s that I'm starting to program. Upon noticing that there are some pre-installed aircraft and helicopters on it, I'm curious as to how reliable the parameters of the programming is on those pre installed items? Does anybody know? I have the eachine e180 helicopter, and it appears to be pre-loaded on the transmitter, can I start with that programming?

Comment

Originally posted by Retired pilot View Post
                              I have a tx16s that I'm starting to program. Upon noticing that there are some pre-installed aircraft and helicopters on it, I'm curious as to how reliable the parameters of the programming is on those pre installed items? Does anybody know? I have the eachine e180 helicopter, and it appears to be pre-loaded on the transmitter, can I start with that programming?
                              Have you bound the E180 to the radio yet? Did it come with OpenTx or EdgeTx?

Comment

No I'm waiting to find out if the templates are good enough to start with and start changing pitch and throttle curves

Comment

Are these radios actually as good as a futaba ect? I noticed they are popular in the drone scene but almost no one seems to use them for fixed wing flying. Im really torn between this and a futaba t16iz since its on sale at the moment

Comment

At my field a lot of people went to them but some returned (mostly to Spektrum) after being frustrated with open source programming. That said the hardware is pretty good. Maybe not top of the line Futaba, Jeti, Spektrum etc but good. And while I and others that have complicated (not quads) setups found open source difficult there is the new Edge OS and it comes with some presets and the color touch screen works well.

Price is good but you have to consider both software support (very good with groups of people on line) and hardware (other than some parts available on line this may be limited especially compared to basically free life time repair on Spek TX's).

Then you have to remember the other half of the system, receivers. Are there reasonably priced ones that meet your needs. In my opinion there are and with the 4-in-1 module you can use a lot of other protocols. That's a clear win for the Radiomaster and the reason a lot of plane pilots went to it from Spektrum.

Bottom line, like other things they are getting better and are a good option for many.

Comment

I've been very happy with the RM TX16s. It does have a learning curve for programming, but once I got familiar with setting up a few models, it became easier. I have made templates that I just copy each time I add a new model and adjust the template for that model accordingly. Saves a lot of time. I've set up fixed-wing, quads, helicopters, and boats. I have also converted over to EdgeTX from OpenTx. I don't have any recent experience with the Futaba system

Comment

I use my TX16S for planes. I love it! There is a learning curve, but once you understand how it works, there are no limitations and that's the best feature and also the weakness: Nothing is pre-defined, unless you want to and use a model template (available). I'm heavy into using the Companion, doing most of my programming on my Mac (available for PC or Linux also of course) and thenI just send it to the radio via USB. Much easier to use mouse and keyboard than the radio, even though the latest version of the UI in EdgeTX is great. The electronics are good quality and if you want better "feel" on the sticks there are full metal gimbals available that are second to no-one, according to those that have tested, they do cost an extra 120USD though.
                                        I have the 4 in 1 multi module and mostly Frsky RX since I had a Taranis before. The 4 in 1 makes it easy to just keep on using any previous receiver and not having to get a bunch of new ones. Moving forward I will probably buy Flysky RX that have most of the features I want at a good price. The exception is a larger model that I'm building that will have two Frsky receivers bound and joined via SBus for redundancy and to have four antennas available.

Comment

Working...
                                        X