Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spektrum Signal Loss...! Help please...

Hey - some of you may have seen my posts on the Phantom F4 forum.

Long story short I had a fade/signal loss /interference and nose dived into the ground (wooooo)...I was so angry ....I'd flown it for a grand total of 17 seconds. Anyway...she's just repaired now, and looks great.

So you get the full picture, KIT USED:

- Spektrum DX6
    - AR636 (under battery tray BUT aerial running away from batter direction UP)
    - satellite RX (in the nose with aerial in different plane and direction to main antenna)
    - Phantom F4 90mm
    - Zippy 6200mah 40C battereis
    - RC Geeks Afterburner
    - Ferrite rings on stock esc to cut down on interference

(I only added the satellite and ferrite rings after the crash)...

However...to confirm my suspicions of crash due to a fade I went to check out the kit at the field with some ground testing today. To range test with spectrum I went into the range test mode and it gave me reduced power, i measured 30m and had a made change the orientation of the plane. It was fine in most orientations but did glitch out sometimes, in a tail or nose orientation more, but it was consistent.

My questions;
    - During a spektrum range test, at 30m....should the RX be faultless? Or is it normal to get a couple glitches / brown outs as its operating on reduced power?
    - I had a thought of piercing the fuselage and putting the aerial out of the bottom (and satellite out the top) pointing in 90 degree opposite directions...is this silly? Seems like a good idea to really get some distance between the electrics and the aerials.
    - what else can I do if the range test isn't satisfactory?

I could go to my mates full scale runway and range test (not in range check mode) and drive it 900m away and check it like that!!!! (he flies an RV6, I fly a eurostar)

Anyway ....

Any help is HUGELY appreciated - I won't fly it until im confident of no brown outs...i can't afford another!

Ben
    Attached Files

Hello BenAtkinsonUK
    By adding the satellite and the iron ferrite ring you have reduced the odds of having signal interference but......…………….. I would highly recommend against placing the Rx under the battery.
    By leaving it there you are still asking for interference from that battery brick for blocking (attenuating) or causing EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) of the signal.
    Ask any long time Eflyer and they will tell ya that best practices of LiPo/Rx location is as far apart as physically feasible.
    Regarding the question about a faultless range test, I've seen many comments from Spektrum Techs on the forums acknowledge that glitching occurs but fortunately not at a higher rate than the frequency sampling rate.
    Give the Rx a clearer view and coupled with the satellite you can rest much easier about having a bird that is not gonna run away out of control on you.
    Best regards,
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I concur with OV10 - Have to keep your RX away from the battery as best as you can. And NO, you shouldn't any glitches on the ground doing a range check, if you do then that is telling you there is an issue that will only remain in flight at increased distances. Play with the RX/Sat locations next time you are out the field and keep range checking until you are clear.

Comment

Thanks for replying guys.

Ok, I’ll rethink its position. Slightly tougher as it’s an ar636 rx (so has a built in gyro) and can’t go on a side wall etc.

Any thoughts on the antenna going outside the aircraft? (I do have other edf aircraft (smaller 80mm ) And never had a problem, thought I’ll compare and contract the two...might give me a clue on what’s normal in terms of range testing.

thanks again

Comment

After you added the satellite, did you re-bind? For example, my Lemon RX must be re-bound after the satellite has been plugged in. Other wise, the light on the sat won't indicate that it's working right. Also, is your satellite the same DSMX as the main RX? You shouldn't use a DSM2 sat with a DSMX RX.

Comment

Yeh I did, the satellite rx lights up then Flickers and ultimately goes off in a few orientations at 30m in range test mode.

I’m gonna re test after moving the RX’s about

Comment

I came across this in another spectrum rx manual, I am using y-harnesses, no idea if they’re amplified or not?

“IMPORTANT: Y-Harnesses and Servo Extensions
              When using a Y-harness or servo extensions in your installation, it’s important to use standard non-amplified Y-harnesses and servo extensions as this can/ will cause the servos to operate erratically or not function at all. Amplified Y-harnesses were developed several years ago to boost the signal for some older PCM systems and should not be used with Spektrum equipment.
              Note that when converting an existing model to Spektrum be certain that all amplified Y-harnesses and/or servo extensions are replaced with conventional non-amplified versions.”

Comment

I must admit that I've never heard of amplified extensions or Y harnesses till now. I think for most of us flying these electric foamies, "conventional" wires are used. Here is an example of an amplified cable:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	12ub.jpg
Views:	1669
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	269546It kinda looks like a snake that swallowed a rat that was way too big for it.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                  I must admit that I've never heard of amplified extensions or Y harnesses till now. I think for most of us flying these electric foamies, "conventional" wires are used. Here is an example of an amplified cable:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	12ub.jpg
Views:	1669
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	269546It kinda looks like a snake that swallowed a rat that was way too big for it.
                  Haha well worded. Yes, I’m 99% sure my ones are normal! Thanks

Comment

This is going to sound silly are you flying the old dx 6 or the new one ....

On the old one I've seen many a pilot fly with the antenna down ....

On the new one I've seen single loss from point the antenna directly at the ship ....

Imagine this you have one antenna behind battery a big fat six cell and another satilite in front but it's positioned that the antenna is pointing at you ...

Like when your making a approach now imagine if your antenna on your transmitter is pointing at the receiver antenna pointing at you ...

Basically it's two toothpicks talking at 400 feet

Hope this makes sense for me on a range test a few fades are ok but a hold is a big no no

Comment

Originally posted by BenAtkinsonUK View Post
                      Hey - some of you may have seen my posts on the Phantom F4 forum.

Long story short I had a fade/signal loss /interference and nose dived into the ground (wooooo)...I was so angry ....I'd flown it for a grand total of 17 seconds. Anyway...she's just repaired now, and looks great.

So you get the full picture, KIT USED:

- Spektrum DX6
                      - AR636 (under battery tray BUT aerial running away from batter direction UP)
                      - satellite RX (in the nose with aerial in different plane and direction to main antenna)
                      - Phantom F4 90mm
                      - Zippy 6200mah 40C battereis
                      - RC Geeks Afterburner
                      - Ferrite rings on stock esc to cut down on interference

(I only added the satellite and ferrite rings after the crash)...

However...to confirm my suspicions of crash due to a fade I went to check out the kit at the field with some ground testing today. To range test with spectrum I went into the range test mode and it gave me reduced power, i measured 30m and had a made change the orientation of the plane. It was fine in most orientations but did glitch out sometimes, in a tail or nose orientation more, but it was consistent.

My questions;
                      - During a spektrum range test, at 30m....should the RX be faultless? Or is it normal to get a couple glitches / brown outs as its operating on reduced power?
                      - I had a thought of piercing the fuselage and putting the aerial out of the bottom (and satellite out the top) pointing in 90 degree opposite directions...is this silly? Seems like a good idea to really get some distance between the electrics and the aerials.
                      - what else can I do if the range test isn't satisfactory?

I could go to my mates full scale runway and range test (not in range check mode) and drive it 900m away and check it like that!!!! (he flies an RV6, I fly a eurostar)

Anyway ....

Any help is HUGELY appreciated - I won't fly it until im confident of no brown outs...i can't afford another!

Ben
                      Yup see it's pointing at you ...

Tape it at 90 horizontal across and the nose cone I believe on that bird is fiberglass

Comment

Working...
                      X