You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which redundancy setup should I use for Frsky with opentx?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which redundancy setup should I use for Frsky with opentx?

I'm using a Taranis 9XD with OpenTx 2.3. Current receivers are X8R's and I would like to add redundancy now that my models are getting in the several hundred dollar range.

So far I see three options but please correct me if I'm wrong or missing anything.

1. Run an R-X8R connected to my current X8R receiver so either can take over if one receiver fails or loses reception for any reason. This won't help much if I have a BEC failure....

2. Option 1 with the addition of a small battery and BEC connected to one of the receivers just in case main BEC dies for any reason. I won't have thrust but at least I can attempt to land the plane with power to servos. I'm not sure how to keep the receiver from using the small backup battery instead of power from main BEC when everything is nominal however?

3. Run the FrSky redundancy 16ch box. This is starting to really increase costs though as now I have to buy another receiver plus the box plus a backup battery, etc...

What are you guys doing for your expensive foamy edfs?

In answer to your last question - I'm just running simple single receiver setups with well thought out antenna placement.

It sounds as if you are more concerned with power loss than you are signal loss? In which case something like the scorpion backup guard might be of interest.

For frsky redundancy receivers, the R-XSR is the receiver of choice and should work fine with your X8R. It only needs to be providing sbus out to the main Rx.

No experience with the frsky redundancy system, but it feels like overkill for a foam plane...

Comment

Originally posted by mshagg View Post
      In answer to your last question - I'm just running simple single receiver setups with well thought out antenna placement.

It sounds as if you are more concerned with power loss than you are signal loss? In which case something like the scorpion backup guard might be of interest.

For frsky redundancy receivers, the R-XSR is the receiver of choice and should work fine with your X8R. It only needs to be providing sbus out to the main Rx.

No experience with the frsky redundancy system, but it feels like overkill for a foam plane...
      I really can't disagree with you on your last point because your probably right. The issue is I'm buying the MIG 29 and at $630, plus $200 in batteries, plus gyro and rx... I've got an investment of around $900 flying around up there once it gets delivered in a month or so.

Comment

I think I may go with a R-X8R and X8R along with a diode to run a small external battery to slave receiver. Anybody have any input on this arrangement?

Comment

Working...
        X