Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satellite Rx Use

Hi all,

After losing my B-24 to some sort of a signal loss yesterday, I am going to equip my 2 Admiral Rx'd airplanes with satellites but I don't know anything about how to install them or where to mount. I can't find any manuals for the one below that I am ordering either.

https://www.motionrc.com/products/ad...antenna#qa-tab

From the random posts I have found in the search, mount near the main Rx and in a different plane? Is that the entire unit in a different plane or just the antenna? Do I have to rebind the Rx to the Tx with the Satellite plugged in for it to work?

I am looking at my F-86 for a mounting place - up in the nose looks ideal - however that would have the wires connecting the sat rx going right by the battery, but the actually sat antennas would be well clear of everything. Any issues with that?

One more question - I have always used clear tape to hold the diversity antennas apart and in place - is there anything wrong with that?

Any links to a tell all/how too Satellite guide would be awesome. Thanks

Originally posted by TLewis95 View Post
    Hi all,

From the random posts I have found in the search, mount near the main Rx and in a different plane? Is that the entire unit in a different plane or just the antenna? Do I have to rebind the Rx to the Tx with the Satellite plugged in for it to work?
    The different plane is with regard to an axis as in a horizontal or vertical plane (not another seperate airframe) and yes you have to rebind the Rx anytime you add/remove a satellite.
    The satellite antenna(s) should be at 90 degrees to the Rx antenna and of a different axis plane. IE..........If the Rx is mounted flat(horizontal) on the fuselage floor with the antenna placed fore/aft then the satellite should be mounted so that the antenna(s) are vertical. One last point is the minimum seperation between Rx and Sat should be not be less than 4 inches.

I am looking at my F-86 for a mounting place - up in the nose looks ideal - however that would have the wires connecting the sat rx going right by the battery, but the actually sat antennas would be well clear of everything. Any issues with that?
    No
    One more question - I have always used clear tape to hold the diversity antennas apart and in place - is there anything wrong with that?
    No other than to insure they are at 90 degrees from each other as is the case with most two antenna leads on a diversity Rx coming out of the same port. Every satellite I've ever come across the antenna exits 180 apart.
    Any links to a tell all/how too Satellite guide would be awesome.
    Sorry, none that I'm aware of. In the RC community it's primarily been a knowledge distribution exercise by individuals like myself that have an electrical engineering background with an understanding of RF propagation theory.

Best regards,
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Best regards,
      Thanks! Looking forward to installing them.

Comment

Working...
      X