X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to failsafe?

I turned on my Spektrum DX6 & had the 6S battery connected to my Freewing F-86 80mm getting ready to fly. For some reason I wanted to check the trim settings in “trim utilities”. When you do that the trim utilities menu alerts you that the “RF Output will be Reduced”. When I continued into the trim utilities, all of a sudden the EDF spooled up even with the throttle stick all the way back at idle. The airplane rolled off until my brain caught up and I exited the “trim utilities” . The receiver is Spektrum AR620. I can’t figure out why the EDF throttled up with reduced RF output. If anything I would expect the failsafe to kick in and cut power to the EDF ( since the failsafe should have set when I last binded the Airplane). Any ideas? Thank You

Originally posted by Pilotguy View Post
    I turned on my Spektrum DX6 & had the 6S battery connected to my Freewing F-86 80mm getting ready to fly. For some reason I wanted to check the trim settings in “trim utilities”. When you do that the trim utilities menu alerts you that the “RF Output will be Reduced”. When I continued into the trim utilities, all of a sudden the EDF spooled up even with the throttle stick all the way back at idle. The airplane rolled off until my brain caught up and I exited the “trim utilities” . The receiver is Spektrum AR620. I can’t figure out why the EDF throttled up with reduced RF output. If anything I would expect the failsafe to kick in and cut power to the EDF ( since the failsafe should have set when I last binded the Airplane). Any ideas? Thank You
    Are you sure you had throttle all the way down during binding? Easy way to check is to rebind, then test it again.

Comment

I answered in the now closed thread. This happened because the receiver was set to a failsafe with the throttle at full throttle (or reversed). Reset the failsafe. Note resetting the failsafe is not just rebinding.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions. It was an accident that it posted to the other thread, sorry everybody.

Comment

"Trim utilities" .................... Are you talking about "trim setup" in the system menu or are you talking about "sub-trim" in the servo menu? If you go into the system setup, it should warn you that it will disconnect from the RX that it is currently talking to. This is usually a hint to disconnect the battery first. Since it went to full throttle upon doing that, it's really strange unless, for some reason, as Evan D said, you bound it originally with throttle failsafe on full. What kind of RX are you using here? Is there an actual "failsafe"? Usually, when a RX gets no signal, the throttle is placed in the lowest position and all control surfaces are neutralized. Very strange what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
            "Trim utilities" .................... Are you talking about "trim setup" in the system menu or are you talking about "sub-trim" in the servo menu? If you go into the system setup, it should warn you that it will disconnect from the RX that it is currently talking to. This is usually a hint to disconnect the battery first. Since it went to full throttle upon doing that, it's really strange unless, for some reason, as Evan D said, you bound it originally with throttle failsafe on full. What kind of RX are you using here? Is there an actual "failsafe"? Usually, when a RX gets no signal, the throttle is placed in the lowest position and all control surfaces are neutralized. Very strange what happened.
            Pilotguy mentions in his post he's using a Spektrum AR620 receiver. Well, I'll be darned! Can't be. I thought maybe it was a Lemon, (hahaha) but I stand corrected. Maybe Spektrum isn't as great as we all thought. Hope for the best and I'm sure it was a setup error. One thing I learned when I was young is: DON"T BUY CHEAP. It usually brings safety risks; financial losses; personal injury; material loss; embarrassment and most regrettably, total regret for buying the cheap thing in the first place...Good luck Pilotguy....

Comment

Missed that part about the AR620. I still don't trust those little "sugar cubes".

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                Missed that part about the AR620. I still don't trust those little "sugar cubes".
                Why not? They have LSD in them. Remember?....Hahahaha...

Comment

I kinda remember. It's all a bit fuzzy.

Comment

Yes, I meant “System Setup” then “Trim Setup”. I will try re-binding of course with throttle at idle & I will post back here the results. BTW... I have 6 flights on this F-86 now & I did calibrate the throttle after I initially binded (bound?).

Comment

Here is what the AR 620 receiver manual says about failsafe. I guess my binding was with “Smartsafe”

Comment

From your initial description, you somehow bound it with high throttle. It likely didn't take off on you then if you had the throttle cut set. Nevertheless, when you go into the system setup, the TX stops communicating with the RX, at least that's what it does with my Spektrum DX8 G2. I think the DX6 does the same thing. That essentially is like turning the TX off.

Comment

Hey Spektrum Transmitter users........ I have a DX6e and it works great but the "thumb scroll" that allows you to step through the various settings is so sensitive it takes twice as long to get through programming because it always seems to depress when I scroll which exits or accepts a setting prematurely. This is VERY annoying! Is there a way to make it less sensitive or do I just need to train my fat fingers to be more gentle?

Comment

Originally posted by Grover54 View Post
                            Is there a way to make it less sensitive or do I just need to train my fat fingers to be more gentle?
                            It's because there is insufficient friction between you thumb and the wheel, thus making it necessary to press harder, which makes it click. You need more friction. Either lick your thumb so it's not so slippery or wear one of those rubber finger tips like when people flip through paper. The other option is to send the TX to Horizon and have them stiffen up the clicker part of the scroll wheel.

Comment

My Spektrum 620 has been rock solid in a DH Venom for a couple years so far. Never a hint of signal loss. Cant say that about the "Admiral"

Comment

Originally posted by Agwagon View Post
                                My Spektrum 620 has been rock solid in a DH Venom for a couple years so far. Never a hint of signal loss. Cant say that about the "Admiral"
                                I was talking a new guy at the field yesterday and he said he put several of the Admirals into his yet to be flown planes. He yanked them all out even before we met.

Comment

Assorted Spectrum RXs have 1 to 3 forms of failsafe.

Basic: when you bind the RX or rebind, it clears old failsafe settings and sets loss of signal from TX failsafe to whatever positions the TX controls are in at instant of binding.

This is common to all Spectrum DSM2 and DSMX compatible RXs I know of.
                                  ("Real Spektrum" Orange, Lemon, Admiral)

For most purposes, this is the only failsafe setup you need.

Since there are "Futaba configured" ESCs, where what is 0 throttle for default Spektrum throttle is detected as commanding full throttle, we sometimes need to reverse throttle in the TX settings and rebind.

Its a relic of JR and Futaba + pulse vs - pulse encoding that goes back to 72 mhz AM radios and is why a Fitabs servo default direction is reversed vs Futaba.

FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Working...
                                  X