X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Spektrum radio do I get?

Considering a Spektrum radio, 8 channel or more. What I’m primarily interested in is the ability to control the travel speed of the servos specifically for flaps. I would also like the added feature of GPS telemetry. Would like your ideas, thoughts, and experience of use.

Rich

Which radio depends upon where you think you will end up in the hobby.

If you are inclined to large scale or certain aerobatic planes, you will want more channels. If you are just looking at park flyers only, then fewer channels are needed.

All the main line radios will get you the telemetry you are looking for.

The iX series of radios are based on Android tablets and are more expensive. Both the 12 and 20 channel versions are more than ample for most any flyer. The advantages are a large customizable graphical UI and other things possible with Android such as text to speech voice prompts. Disadvantages, shorter battery life and price and price. (Yes I said price twice)

The NX series has some very good options in my opinion. I particularly like the NX10. It has excellent gimbals and plenty of channels for most users. It doesn't have text to speech or some of the other advantages you get from Android, but it is a solid radio at a far more affordable price.

If you don't want more than a park flyer type of model the NX8 is also a fine radio, but is missing the excellent gimbals the NX10 has.

If you think you will ever want to separate channels (think zero y cables) for control surfaces, you will want more channels than fewer to give you the greatest flexibility.

If you are on a budget, an older DX9 is a fine option. For now, You can still access forward programming and telemetry as the newer radios at a fraction of the cost. The disadvantage is this radio is going to be obsolete sooner than later.

Also, talk to other flyers in your area. They can show you the differences between the radios and will help you inform your final decision.

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by jetpltrich View Post
      Considering a Spektrum radio, 8 channel or more. What I’m primarily interested in is the ability to control the travel speed of the servos specifically for flaps. I would also like the added feature of GPS telemetry. Would like your ideas, thoughts, and experience of use.

Rich
      To follow up on what Gilatrout said, the DX will do everything you want. You can set the flap speed and has the same forward programing. I've been very happy with my DX9 and can't think of any real reason to upgrade other than its newer.

Comment

Originally posted by jetpltrich View Post

Rich
        I started with a DX6 for the first 3 years in the hobby, and found it to be a very capable transmitter. I put about 10 planes on that radio, plus a heli, and 4 quads. It controlled everything quite nicely for an affordable price. I upgraded to the ix12 about 6 months ago, and after I made the adjustment, I am really impressed with this radio. Sure, it takes like a full 2.5 minutes to power up and get into the Airware app for flying, but knowing that, you can easily power it up as soon as you arrive at the flying field, and by the time you get your planes ready to fly, the radio is ready to go. It has a sleep mode that can save your battery between flights. I really like the ability to download images and add them to each model settings, type in any voice commands, and using the color touch screen to navigate the menus. To me, those are huge upgrades. Also, going from 6 channels to 12 channels is a massive step up, and allows me to run any model I would ever be interested in flying. With a 2nd battery pack, you can simply swap it out, and fly most of the day. You can also bring a portable cell phone charger, and charge your radio via usb while you chill in the pits.

Comment

Working...
        X