X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dx8e please help.

I just purchased a spectrum dx8e from horizon hobby. Upon doing the update for the airware, my transmitter shut off as soon as I hit the roller to update. Now when I turn it on the led flashes and the screen says spectrum with a load bar under it that does nothing. How bad am I screwed.

I hate doing updates on any new transmitter and I won't do them on an old transmitter so long as everything is working as I need them to be working. I've seen updates go awfully WRONG. All I can suggest is that you plug it in again and try to update again but double check the proper procedure for doing it just in case you missed a step the first time. Failing that, you may have to send it back to Horizon.

Comment

I'm betting its going back to horizon. I just hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Been waiting weeks to get it, saving up and such. Hell I would pay extra for them to update it.

Comment

If it's new, it should be under warranty. They may even send you a pre-paid return label. The only problem is now you have to wait even longer. Try calling their customer service tech line. They may be able to talk you through the update. They'll likely be the ones who will send you the return label if they can't help you.

This is probably a retorical question but you did register your new transmitter first, right?

Comment

Yes I registered it. Spoke with horizon. They sent me a shipping label to send it in for repair. Very good customer service. No just the waiting game. Wish I would of paid more attention and got an NX series. So I would not have to worry about updating to get forward programming. Oh well the dx8e will do everything I will need it to. Thanks for replying to my post.

Comment

Originally posted by WVfoambuster View Post
            Yes I registered it. Spoke with horizon. They sent me a shipping label to send it in for repair. Very good customer service. No just the waiting game. Wish I would of paid more attention and got an NX series. So I would not have to worry about updating to get forward programming. Oh well the dx8e will do everything I will need it to. Thanks for replying to my post.
            Horizon is pretty good about stuff like that. It's just a matter of the waiting game. They may surprise you and get it resolved quickly if they aren't very busy. Yes, the NX or DX series are much more versatile TXs but I can understand your needs based on budgetary concernsat the time.
            Another consideration .................... I'm not sure if you bought your DX8e online directly from Horizon or if you purchased it from a hobby shop but if you got it online and the thing is brand new and unused, perhaps they would consider a trade up to an NX8 or DX8 or DX9, giving you ALL of your money on the E towards one of the others.

Comment

Hi guys, we ran across a problem with a brand new DX8e at the field today, the radio would bind to the airplane ( a new Apprentice 1.5) but no control movement. We bound it to one of the other guys Spektrum NX 20 and it worked fine. Rebound it to the Dx8e and nothing. The only thing we could figure is that he had not yet registered his radio, will this stop it from working??

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

Not registering it shouldn't have any effect on it working. I once used a DX8 for months before I registered it. I guess it wouldn't hurt to register it and get the latest update. Then try again.

Comment

I know I didn't have that problem with my Dx8, but the consensus was that with the new Gov't regs, it may now be the case. Either that or there is simply something wrong with the radio.
                  It's a shame because the fellow is brand new to the hobby and it, so far has been nothing but a headache.

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

That's really too bad. Newbies should not have to contend with stuff like this. It's hard enough to get going smoothly in this hobby.
                    PS. I generally recommend to anyone new who asks me about upgrading to the next TX, to stay away from any of the "e" model Spektrums. I've seen and heard too many "irregularities" with them.

Comment

The new version of the Apprentice is pretty confusing as well. We're all used to channel 1=throttle, ch 2=ailerons etc. not with this receiver. For some reason they put a GPS in it with a new access hatch in the rear window. So now each aileron has its own channel and the assignments are all over the place. Plus you have to reset the GPS every time you fly somewhere different. We just disabled it. I realize they're trying to make flying easy, but in the meantime, they're complicating things for a newbie.

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

I'm not familiar with the new version Apprentice. However, with the previous versions, 4 of my flying buddies had that plane and all of them got rid of the GPS altogether. It caused nothing but problems, even caused a couple to crash. After removing the GPS, not a problem thereafter. In the process of making it easier to fly, Eflite made them impossible to fly and nearly impossible to set them up properly.

Comment

Yeah, that's what we did as well, the GPS was a pain so we removed it. The feedback I've got about the DX8e seems to point to a problem with the radio. It's a shame.

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                          X