Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote Identification Rule for PnP, i.e., bind and fly model aircraft

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Identification Rule for PnP, i.e., bind and fly model aircraft

Modelers, it would appear that in mid-September all new PnP or bind and fly aircraft which will include 'fixed wing" will be required to have Remote ID at both the Tx side and at the Rx side of the system. GPS signal that identifies both the aircraft and the transmitter user. I understand this technology does not yet exist in a usable form, but we it is still a requirement for new aircraft, drones, and helos built after September 16 of this year. Is this an FAA mandate? What will manufacturers be selling, if anything, after this date? I might not have all the information, though I believe this is happening. Anyone with better information, please chime in here. Will there be anything new to buy in the PnP market after current inventories are depleted? Respectfully, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Operators may comply with Remote ID in one of three ways:
    • Standard Remote ID: The drone must broadcast Remote ID messages directly from the aircraft via radio frequency broadcast. This category of compliance was included in the proposed rule, though, notably, the final rule has removed the requirement that the drone also transmit remote ID messages via internet connection to a third-party service supplier. Operators flying BVLOS must do so using a Standard Remote ID drone and must comply with the broadcast requirements. The Remote ID messages must include either the drone’s serial number or a session ID (a randomly-generated alphanumeric code assigned on a per-flight bases), the latitude, longitude and altitude of the drone and the control station, the velocity of the drone, the drone’s emergency status, and a time stamp.
    • Unmanned Aircraft with a Remote ID Broadcast Module: This method allows operators to comply via a separate Broadcast Module, which is a separate device that is either attached to (in the case of a retro-fitted aircraft) or built into (in the case of a newly manufactured aircraft) the drone. The Remote ID messages must include the serial number of the broadcast module (as opposed to the drone itself), the longitude, latitude, and altitude of the drone and the take-off location, the velocity of the drone, and a timestamp. This category of compliance was not included in the proposed rule.
    • FAA-Recognized Identification Areas (FRIAs): This method of compliance allows operators (mainly recreational operators) to operate a drone within an FAA-approved geographic area. The FRIA option was created mainly for recreational operators, and BVLOS operations are prohibited under this method of compliance. The FAA will begin accepting applications from community-based organizations and educational institutions 18 months after the rule is published in the Federal Register.

Comment

fredmdbud , so this exempts manufacturers from compliance, meaning adding the remote id to new PnP aircraft they will manufacture after September 2022? Best, Steve
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Flying in FRIAs (e.g. registered clubs) meets the Remote ID requirement, including any "legacy" planes, for operators. I didn't see an exemption for manufacturers except for products that don't require FAA registration (< 0.55 lbs, etc).

Comment

All, remote ID is here. The September 16, 2022, date is in effect.

The lawsuit that was filed against the FAA has been lost.

Compliance dates for equipment manufactures to become compliant will be delayed, though for how long is unknown.

Click the link below for a unique discussion (about 30 minutes) by Joshua Bardwell. Interesting Q & A with a member of the FPV community who was instrumental in trying to keep this from becoming law.

We lost. RemoteID is here. What does it mean? (2022 UPDATE) - YouTube

This does affect fixed-wing and P-n-P manufacturers, though as stated above, not as significantly if you fly at an AMA flying field.

Best, LB
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

It's still going to be a slow process. The FAA still has not come out with the criteria for defining who can be a CBO.

AMA isn't looking at doing the FRIA work for the clubs until Sept of 2023.

Criteria for the ID modules still has yet to be set. What info to be broadcast is fairly refined,but that's about it

Comment

Remember, America is a "free" country 🤣
              anyone read some of the requirements? They slipped in wording about physical fitness and eyesight.
              in years to follow when they want more regulation they can say youre too unfit physically to fly a hobby plane because you could have a heart attack and someone might get hurt. Or we feel your eyesight isnt quite 20/20 so no hobby time for you. Are you feeling free still? These people will not stop ever.

Comment

• Elbee
                Elbee commented
                Editing a comment
                Give an inch and most will take a mile. Just my $00.02...sadly, this is not going to be a compromise. Never believed I'd become an outlaw over airspace below 400 feet. ;-) Best, LB
            Working...
            X