X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gavin radios

I have seen some RTF planes that come with a "Gavin" brand radio. I haven't seen much on these and was wondering about their quality. Anyone here have experience with them?

Originally posted by runway14left View Post
    I have seen some RTF planes that come with a "Gavin" brand radio. I haven't seen much on these and was wondering about their quality. Anyone here have experience with them?
    Not really sure but I would stay away from RTF and get a good radio you can use on all the planes you buy, Spektrum works with all the BNF planes and is the most popular platform of course. I use Spektrum, Futaba and Tactic but have been using the Spektrum more as of late.

Also...Welcome to Hobby Squawk!
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I appreciate the input. I have spektrum and Futaba radios in my planes. I'm trying to find this out for a buddy. He is dead set on buying a rtf set up - says he only wants one plane. I've tried to explain the tendancy to collect planes and the value of having equipment that would work in multiple planes. But he has seen a plane he wants, its RTF and has a Gavin radio. So I'm trying to find out about it before he pulls the trigger.

Comment

Welcome to Hobby Squawk!! The Detrum GAVIN Radios come to us from Dynam and for an entry level Radio they are fine however as TiredIronGRB stated Spektrum is by far the most popular radio. We offer these as an inexpensive way for folks thinking about getting into RC and don't want to invest a lot just to see if this Hobby is right for them. If you believe that this is going to be the Hobby for you beforehand then my 37 years of experience will tell you to make the investment now in a more advanced radio that will be with you for years to come. Otherwise you will be like a lot of us years ago when computer radios didn't exist and up with 3 or 4 Radios (or more) and that in the long run is a waste of money. Spektrum Radios have around an 85% Market share and the BNF (Bind and Fly) planes Horizonhobby offers makes adding to your Hangar a much easier process. Welcome aboard!

Comment

He is dead set on buying a rtf set up - says he only wants one plane. I've tried to explain the tendency to collect planes.
          Never heard of this tendency... ;)

TiredIron Aviation
          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne@MotionRC View Post

Welcome to Hobby Squawk!! The Detrum GAVIN Radios come to us from Dynam and for an entry level Radio they are fine however as TiredIronGRB stated Spektrum is by far the most popular radio. We offer these as an inexpensive way for folks thinking about getting into RC and don't want to invest a lot just to see if this Hobby is right for them. If you believe that this is going to be the Hobby for you beforehand then my 37 years of experience will tell you to make the investment now in a more advanced radio that will be with you for years to come. Otherwise you will be like a lot of us years ago when computer radios didn't exist and up with 3 or 4 Radios (or more) and that in the long run is a waste of money. Spektrum Radios have around an 85% Market share and the BNF (Bind and Fly) planes Horizonhobby offers makes adding to your Hangar a much easier process. Welcome aboard!
            Thanks for the input on the Gavin radios. I agree with your perspective and thus I have Spektrum and also a futaba (came with a plane I bought used). But as I said before, he's really focused on buying RTF and it has this Gavin radio. I think its that he really likes this one plane and that is truly ruling his buying decision - all good advice aside.

Comment

Runway if there is any way to get him to look at the difference in price show him the Tactic 650. Great price on radio and receivers . I can say from experience three years and I have never had a problem . Sometimes the price for RTF will come close to the cost by getting PNP and adding a radio . The Tactic 650 will hold up to 20 planes

Bryan
              But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Comment

I think this vid on setting up the GAVIN RX-TX is what I hyave been looking for - how to turn on the RX.

Comment

I have the Gavin 6c 6 channel radio I'm just starting out in the hobby. this radio is very programmable will store up to 30 models but only binds to detrum receivers. Ihave range tested this radio at over 1000 yards on the ground I could not even see my partner when testing and it was flawless. for the money you cant go wrong. I will eventually upgrade to a spectrum or futuba but for now I'm happy.

Comment

I just purchased this radio with the SR86A rx to put in my shiny new Stinger 64 (I am impatiently waiting for the UPS truck to show up at my door as we speak). I am one of those that doesn't have a ton of money to put into this hobby right now and wanted to check it out with something other than the RTF and BNF basic planes that I already have. The videos that you have posted on this tx and rx are a great tool for me, thanks Ryan. Hopefully everything works out well for me. I'm sure it will. If Pilot Ryan says it's good it's gotta be good, right?? I started on multi rotors and have 6 of them currently, each with its own transmitter. I have transmitters everywhere!!
                      Eflite Champ S+, UMX P-47, Freewing Stinger 64

Comment

Working...
                      X