You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SAFE receivers - Will FMS be bringing out a similar receiver?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAFE receivers - Will FMS be bringing out a similar receiver?

As most flyers are now aware that Horizon has brought out a new receiver aimed at novice flyers that makes learning how to fly relatively easy. Such a step above learning by crash and repair.

I know that FMS does offer a FMS3X receiver in a number of their planes. The FMS3X is basically a receiver and gyro in the same unit. It does help a bit with flying in the wind and with take offs and landings.

However that receiver must be bound with the standard (no frills basic only) FMS stock radios in order to operate. You can not use the FMS3X receiver with any of the name brand radios such as Spectrum, Futaba, etc.

That would explain while may vendors do not carry the FMS3X airplanes in their stock.

However, the new Safe receiver put out by Horizon is really being well received in the market place and many flyers are now purchasing that receiver which is compatible with the Spectrum radios and installing the Safe receivers in a number of other planes of different of brand names.

Is there any indication that FMS will be developing a similar receiver for any of their planes to appeal to novice flyers? Learn as you fly concept.

Or, as the Horizon Safe receivers can be purchased separately and placed into any plane will FMS not likely develop a similar receiver and just let flyers purchase the Horizon product?

Re: SAFE receivers - Will FMS be bringing out a similar receiver?

You are correct. There are no plans by FMS for a SAFE type receiver which would work with a quality radio. However, we have some really good alternatives!

1) We have a really great airplane gyro which can be used with any major brand receiver (Futaba, Spektrum, Hitec, JR, etc). This gyro has "auto balance" which is equivalent to SAFE. You simply flip a switch on your radio and you plane will automatically right itself. Of course it also has a 6 axis gyro built in with many other features. You can find more information here: http://www.motionrc.com/eagle-a3-6-axis-airplane-gyro-w-auto-balance/

2) Of course you can buy the receiver meant for the Hobbyzone Corsair SAFE or E-Flite apprentice. We have both on backorder and will be here soon.

Personally, I prefer the Eagle gyro with "auto balance" for the flexibility, extra features, advanced features, and overall execution.

Comment

Tom,

Do I HAVE to have a 3way switch to use the Eagle gyro??? I have a DX6i.

Thanks,

Lon
      Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
      Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

You do not need a 3 way switch. A 2 position switch is fine. We recommend you start off with Normal mode/Off setup on the 2 position switch. This way you can turn it off if you had some sort of setup error. When you know you have it correct, you can setup the 2 positions as normal mode/auto balance mode. Check page 3 of the manual. It shows many different possibilities. FYI, there is a way to program a 2 position switch onto a DX6i.

Comment

If it's as good as all other FMS electronics order a few bottles of foam Tak with it

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyrabuse View Post
            If it's as good as all other FMS electronics order a few bottles of foam Tak with it
            Johnny ………...ya may want to read a little back of a thread before posting. Those last posts were from almost 6 years ago and as most of us know FMS never made a Rx
            Granted I understand why ya probably did so because I've seen your other posts elsewhere that you presently are not exactly too happy with FMS/Horizon.
            Regards,
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Working...
            X