X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LiFe Receiver Batteries and Freewing Servos

Does anyone know if Freewing digital servos (and gear) that are rated from 4.8V - 6.0V can accept unfiltered LiFe receiver battery input without failing?

Full charge on a 2S LiFe is 6.6V, (+.6V over the rating) but quickly drops to ~6.0V once under load and generally runs in the high 5's.

Originally posted by Mizer67 View Post
    Does anyone know if Freewing digital servos (and gear) that are rated from 4.8V - 6.0V can accept unfiltered LiFe receiver battery input without failing?

Full charge on a 2S LiFe is 6.6V, (+.6V over the rating) but quickly drops to ~6.0V once under load and generally runs in the high 5's.
    Mizer67 I have not seen any dialog on this forum over the years regarding safe usage of 2S LiFe batts on Freewing servo controlled systems.
    I would speculate that you'd be pushing upper voltage margins into possible premature failures and this is because there is a reason that ALL Freewing and FlightLine aircraft
    that have been released over the years only have 5V BEC/UBEC installed.
    I personally have used ZTW UBEC's on a regular basis which are set to output 5.5V because I am also using a Scorpion Backup Guard which triggers on at 5V and I need the 0.5V separation.
    Hopefully someone can tell ya full sure whether FW/FL servos are tolerant of 6V on a continuous basis.
    Best regards,
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: OV-10, Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3; LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Mizer67 I have not seen any dialog on this forum over the years regarding safe usage of 2S LiFe batts on Freewing servo controlled systems.
      I would speculate that you'd be pushing upper voltage margins into possible premature failures and this is because there is a reason that ALL Freewing and FlightLine aircraft
      that have been released over the years only have 5V BEC/UBEC installed.
      I personally have used ZTW UBEC's on a regular basis which are set to output 5.5V because I am also using a Scorpion Backup Guard which triggers on at 5V and I need the 0.5V separation.
      Hopefully someone can tell ya full sure whether FW/FL servos are tolerant of 6V on a continuous basis.
      Best regards,
      Thanks for the response OV10.

I normally wouldn't want to go to the trouble in an electric model of running a separate receiver battery, but in this case I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue that's causing an in-flight shutdown and (thankfully temporary) loss of control. I'm sure support from the folks I bought it from will help me on Monday (still don't know how they can help me troubleshoot, other than swapping parts), but I'm looking for ways to rule out various components as the cause of this type of failure:
      1. Battery / Battery connectors/connections
      2. ESC
      3. The separate UBEC
      If I run a receiver battery and everything's fine, I can point to the UBEC (I think) as the culprit. I lost both the receiver and the power...so it's probably not the ESC itself, as the BEC is not part of the ESC. It also provides some redundancy if I run two packs on a Y-harness, for instance and I'm a little gun shy of losing this pricey model to a loss of control incident.

Others have said a cold solder joint in the batteries (happened on two separate new batteries)

Comment

Working...
      X