X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam Tac Thinner?

I have a bottle of Foam Tac that is 80% full, but it's gotten thick and basically unusable. How can I thin this down and still have it be foam safe?
    I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you, there ain't nothing in the world I hate more than that elephant under my ass.

-Officer John Wintergreen-
    ElectraGlide in Blue, 1973

Heat...get a bowl of hot water to leave it in while you're using it.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Dang and I recently threw a bottle out because it got too thick oh well lessons are learned.

Comment

What I do with my 2 ounce bottle is when I'm done using it I take the dispenser cap off and squeeze the bottle to get most of the air out and put the cap back on (assuming you hadn't tossed it) and it stay good to the last use. R
        AMA 424553

Comment

This issue that FLTRI points to is exactly the reason I requested(Oct 2016) that Motion get the 2 - 1oz tube pack for the same price as the 2oz bottle.
          Squeeze out what you need and recap, no air in tube like there is in the bottle as it gets emptied to start the hardening process.
          Must be ordered quite a bit because this is the second time I've seen it out of stock.;)

At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I went the same route and got the tubes . I've used all of one and am into the second one with no waste to speak of.

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
              This issue that FLTRI points to is exactly the reason I requested(Oct 2016) that Motion get the 2 - 1oz tube pack for the same price as the 2oz bottle.
              Squeeze out what you need and recap, no air in tube like there is in the bottle as it gets emptied to start the hardening process.
              Must be ordered quite a bit because this is the second time I've seen it out of stock.;)
              :Scared: OMG! FoamTac comes in tubes????? It's like "the best thing since sliced bread", but now it has no crust.
              For me, I'm not nearly as frugal as some folks. I use as much as I can out of a bottle and if the rest goes "bad", I chuck it and start a new bottle. This hobby is not exactly cheap to begin with. A 10 buck bottle of goo isn't going to break the bank.

Comment

No, but it is annoying when you need some glue, and find out it has turned to Jello. Thanks for all the replies, I'll try the hot water trick. Any ideas on what to thin it with? Acetone, rubbing alcohol paint thinner, reducer???
                I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you, there ain't nothing in the world I hate more than that elephant under my ass.

Comment

I use both, I just use the 2 ounce when I need more fast. ;)
                  AMA 424553

Comment

Originally posted by FLTRI View Post
                    No, but it is annoying when you need some glue, and find out it has turned to Jello. Thanks for all the replies, I'll try the hot water trick. Any ideas on what to thin it with? Acetone, rubbing alcohol paint thinner, reducer???
                    Acetone eats most foam. Just check what you're using first to see if the foam will survive.

Comment

EPO will stand up to MEK, so acetone will not melt it. I believe that formaldehyde is the solvent for foam-tac. R.
                      AMA 424553

Comment

If your Foam-Tac spoils then you're not doing enough repairs, which means you're not crashing enough, which means you're not flying enough...get with it guys:Silly:
                        TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Some of us gave up crashing for Lent and never went back.
                          :p

Actually, I rarely damage the models from crashing without having something break in flight, causing loss of control now. Hangar rash is my worst enemy. You don't use much foam tack for that.
                          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Oh, just a reminder, Foam-Tac is great for anchoring grub screws. The pesky landing gear upgrade on the Tigercat let go on me while still in the basement thank God, so I pulled the whole thing apart and Foam-Tac'd the strut to the retract pin and Foam-Tac'd the grub screws into the strut itself, now let's see the danged thing come off:devious

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                              If your Foam-Tac spoils then you're not doing enough repairs, which means you're not crashing enough, which means you're not flying enough...get with it guys:Silly:
                              That literally made me laugh out loud...

Comment

:Cool:
                                Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                                Some of us gave up crashing for Lent and never went back.
                                :p

Actually, I rarely damage the models from crashing without having something break in flight, causing loss of control now. Hangar rash is my worst enemy. You don't use much foam tack for that.
                                I FPV a lot and really push the limits so I crash pretty often:Cool:
                                TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Push limits with plenty of altitude... find what it can do... then do it lower.
                                  FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                                    Push limits with plenty of altitude... find what it can do... then do it lower.
                                    You don't fly through FPV gates, obstacles and tunnels through the woods at high altitude.
                                    TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Beacon Glue company maker of foam Tac recommends mineral spirits for clean up and thinning.

Comment

I store mine in the refrigerator it keeps a long time

Comment

Working...
                                        X