X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• receiver glue?

What is the stuff horizon hobby uses to glue the receiver down? Seems like it's silicone, I have a AS3 to install. Just curious if just gluing it to the plane with CA would be ok or if I need something that would dampin vibration (gyro receiver)

Or just using foam tac.
    Planes
    -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
    -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Horizon uses a white silicone caulk to glue some of their receivers and servos. I would not use CA to glue in a receiver, it's too brittle. I would recommend double sided foam tape (first choice) or hot glue (second choice and make sure to use low temp).

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Polo View Post
      Horizon uses a white silicone caulk to glue some of their receivers and servos. I would not use CA to glue in a receiver, it's too brittle. I would recommend double sided foam tape (first choice) or hot glue (second choice and make sure to use low temp).
      Special electronics grade silicone "glue"

Don't just grab any silicone.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Polo View Post

Thanks guys!

My concern with double sided tape is it coming off during flight, normal receiver I wouldn’t care but since this has a gyro
        Planes
        -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
        -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

Try: E6000 231020 Adhesive

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JP3X9WE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

FOAM TAC ;)

At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I have a lot of this, didn’t know long term effects, IE not suppose to use regular silicone on eletrontics. Don’t know the why, just know.
              Planes

Comment

Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post

I have a lot of this, didn’t know long term effects, IE not suppose to use regular silicone on electronics. Don’t know the why, just know.
                The gassing out (acidic effects) of regular silicone as it cures is the detrimental aspect to a non conformal coated circuit card.
                These Rx's are encased in a plastic housing so it is really not an issue to use silicone but..............use the Foam Tac. ;)
                In my early years in a DoD manufacturing facility working on computer systems like Wild Weasel, Space Shuttle, B1B, S3A, F15, etc, the use of Dow Corning 3140 RTV was the standard sealant/adhesive used by techs for fixing the adjustment screws on circuit card potentiometers. I still have a 6 pack box of 3oz tubes from 20+ years ago and it is still good to use.
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thanks guys!

My concern with double sided tape is it coming off during flight, normal receiver I wouldn’t care but since this has a gyro
                  The double sided sticky cushions as supplied with Lemon (and Admiral) RX's won't come off. It's made by 3M and very good adhesion to foam and plastic. However, there are times when I install on wood, so I put a little FoamTac on the sticky part that touches the wood for insurance.
                  When you have a gyro device, a solid mount is not desirable. A cushion like material is the best way to minimize the effects of vibrations.

Comment

It is a high temp rtv for electronics, Silicone Rubber White Glue Kafuter 704 that they use and you can get it off ebay and amazon.
                    AMA 424553

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                      The double sided sticky cushions as supplied with Lemon (and Admiral) RX's won't come off. It's made by 3M and very good adhesion to foam and plastic. However, there are times when I install on wood, so I put a little FoamTac on the sticky part that touches the wood for insurance.
                      When you have a gyro device, a solid mount is not desirable. A cushion like material is the best way to minimize the effects of vibrations.
                      Guess for added insurance just add a little foam tac to both sides of tape? Call me paranoid

3M tape you get from Walmart?
                      Planes

Comment

Yes, Wal-mart, Home Depot, Office Max, etc.. It might be under the Scotch Brand (which is also 3M)

Comment

Guess for added insurance just add a little foam tac to both sides of tape? Call me paranoid
                          Well, I guess if you're that way, then sure. But be advised that the 3M tape when stuck onto a plastic surface like the bottom of a RX, is almost impossible to peal off when you want to. It has to be razored off if you want a clean start. That's how sticky the stuff is.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                            Well, I guess if you're that way, then sure. But be advised that the 3M tape when stuck onto a plastic surface like the bottom of a RX, is almost impossible to peal off when you want to. It has to be razored off if you want a clean start. That's how sticky the stuff is.
                            This?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/scotch-1-in...BoCHTEQAvD_BwE

Planes

Comment

Your link doesn't seem to work for me. It's this ................
                              https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scotch-1-in...d-Tape/3690666

You can also use double sided servo pads from HobbyKing. It's a bit thicker to offer more vibration damping and comes in big sheets that you cut to size.

Comment

+1 for E6000

Comment

I've been using alot of velcro in my set ups. If you wanna change parts, just rip it off and use it in your other model. Or visa versa.

Comment

Originally posted by bob_stan View Post
                                    +1 for E6000
                                    I'm surprised no one mentioned shoe goo. car guys use that to reinforce the lexan bodies. it does a great job on foam and rubber etc. and the 3m gray tape to mount receivers, speed controls etc.

Comment

I found this stuff, https://deluxematerials.co.uk/products/fix-n-flex the local hobby shop had it. I cannot find foam tac anywhere. not one single hobby shop i've called or been to has ever heard of it and they all have tons of foam planes. I tried the CA foam safe glue by zap, it sucks. I've tried the bob smith industries foam cure, it come off plastic too easy to hold anything to the foam. zap goo melts foam. hot glue pops right off of plastics so it wont hold parts in the foam.
                                      I don't want to order stuff from china like the kafuter 704. says it will be delivered in 2 to 3 months. ridiculous.

so far the fix-n-flex is working the best on test pieces. it's soft like the silicone eflite uses on my apprentice sts.

Comment

E-2000 also known as Goop, great stuff...stays a little flexible so it doesn't get brittle.
                                        TiredIron Aviation
                                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Working...
                                        X