Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing: Benchcraft Airbrushes and Accessories from Motion RC

Attention Modelers!
    We're proud to give Hobby Squawk members a sneak peek at a new segment within our emerging Benchcraft line of hobby-grade tools and accessories:
    BENCHCRAFT Airbrushes, Airbrush Compressors, and Airbrush Accessories!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	BCT5025-008  -- HERO - Copy.jpg Views:	6 Size:	154.0 KB ID:	238153

We'll be starting with a concise range of products that some of us here at Motion RC have been using extensively. From customizing your airplanes to tanks to helicopters, boats, nails, general crafting and a hundred more AL37 airliners, we'll be stocking equipment that can help you get started on a budget or move upward into more capable systems.

These should all be in stock and ready to ship from our USA and Europe fulfillment centers this week. Stay tuned for more information!

Yes indeed! It's about time!

We've been working with the factory behind the scenes now for a couple of years. I am very familiar with their products for several years and we wanted to make sure a couple tweaks were made to make them special for our customer family. In fact, almost all of the models I've posted photos of, from the first Freewing 80mm A-10 and 80mm F-14, to all the Freewing and FlightLine Master samples, to my more recent King Tiger and Abrams tanks, were airbrushed using Benchcraft airbrushes and a Benchcraft compressor. So if they're good enough for me, they should work for most general hobby uses.

For everyone watching the Squawk wizards create astonishing repaints and refinishes, I hope the Benchcraft line of Airbrushes and Accessories inspires you to jump in and give airbrushing a shot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200120_045348.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.7 KB ID:	238156Click image for larger version  Name:	image_8101.jpg Views:	0 Size:	240.6 KB ID:	238157
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

saved

Comment

For the curious, below is the $109 Airbrush and Compressor Set that I've used to paint the following birds, many of which have appeared on the forums over time. The key with airbrush equipment at this price point is to keep them clean and use clean, properly thinned paint. I'll post some of my tips and tricks as this thread evolves, but suffice to say that with proper care, these Benchcraft airbrushes are my workhorses alongside my Patriot and Iwatas.

https://www.motionrc.com/products/be...9t&racv=1&fp=1

80mm F-14 hero
        80mm F-14 NSAWC custom
        80mm A-10 custom
        80mm A-10 hero
        80mm A-4 hero
        80mm A-6 hero
        80mm Avanti hero
        80mm L-39 camo hero
        80mm Mirage V2 hero
        90mm F-4 hero
        90mm F-22 hero 1
        90mm F-22 hero 2
        90mm F-15 hero
        90mm F-16 hero
        90mm Venom custom
        90mm F-18C BA hero
        90mm F-18C gray hero
        70mm F-35 prototype and hero
        70mm F-16 hero
        70mm A-4 prototype
        70mm Hawk hero
        70mm Hawk custom
        70mm Me-262 V2 hero
        64mm F-8 custom
        64mm F-105 custom
        64mm F-105 hero
        1400mm Shrike prototype
        1400mm Shrike hero
        1500mm P-61
        1500mm Bf-110
        1600mm Tigercat hero
        1600mm Tigercat prototype
        1600mm P-38 silver hero
        1600mm P-38 green hero
        1600mm P-38 green prototype
        1600mm Corsair bubbletop hero
        1600mm Corsair birdcage hero and prototype
        1600mm Spitfire hero
        1600mm Spitfire clipped hero
        1200mm Spitfire hero
        1200mm La-7 prototype
        1100mm Fw-190 hero
        1100mm Fw-190 prototype
        1300mm Ta-152 hero
        850mm Fw-190D.9 Dora hero
        800mm P-51 hero
        800mm P-51 Bob Hoover custom
        64mm P.15 hero
        64mm P.15 IJN custom
        Heng Long Tiger 1
        Heng Long King Tiger
        Heng Long Leopard 2A6
        Heng Long T-90
        Heng Long KV-1
        Heng Long T-34
        Tamiya M51
        A submarine or two
        Assorted Projects in Development or Parked
        And a partridge in a pear tree

I highly recommend the coiled air hose upgrade, it's much more tidy and helps keep my work area clutter free.

https://www.motionrc.com/products/be...-hose-2-meters

Comment

Very nice!
          I've yet to attempt airbrushing, myself, but would like to give it shot someday. Is this a good entry level system, or would
          you recommend something other for someone looking to get started in the craft?
          Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Alpha can expand on your question more than I, but I have the compressor minus tank setup and I am a total newb with airbrushing and it worked great. However, I want to get the tank upgrade with coiled air hose (and a new airbrush, my first one was basic)...There's more cleanup involved but there's nothing out there that can compare to airbrushing especially for weathering our models and adding that final level of realism we love.
            My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Good to know.. thanks Aros!

There was a time, a while back, a used to deliver auto paints to the local repair shops. Gettin to know the painters, I would watch some sprayin in the booth. Always so impressed with how artistic it looked as some of them did their work. One of which invited me out on my off time to assist in painting of a garbage truck. Mostly prepin and tapin, but he then turned me loose on the interior of the "trash bin", but it was an experience. I totally get, as with any painting equipment, especially spraying equipment, how imperative it is to stay on top of cleanup. A rule of thumb for all my tools actually. 'The better ya take care of them, the better they are to take care of you when needed'.
              Thinkin I may give this system a try. If nothin else, I could end up with some psychedelic planes lookin like they flew outta the Bermuda Triangle from the 60's!
              Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

@BluesDragon

I'd recommend the setup I linked above. As seen in my list of painted projects, it is more than capable of doing great work in the RC hobby, without being overly complex or breaking the bank. As with many things, the Tool doesn't make the Art. The Tool facilitates the Artist.

Airbrushing is simple to learn, but nuanced to master. Luckily, in the large scales we're using in RC, a budget-conscious and beginner-friendly $109 airbrush+compressor set I like the one I linked above is plenty capable. It's not as refined as a $300+ airbrush like my Infinity CR2, but then again we're not airbrushing 1/144 scale warbirds requiring pencil thin Camo lines... We're often closer to 1/7 scale. Anything larger than a foot long, I paint using the setup I linked to above, and it works just fine. I can't think of the last time anyone commented on my models by saying "it looks like you should have used a more expensive airbrush". Haha

Comment

Hi All,
                  I do like the look of this equipment and would like to have a go at airbrushing. Can anyone give me an ETA for the Benchcraft compressor kits to arrive at the EU warehouse?
                  Many thanks

Comment

Hey MotionRC

I would also like to know when the airbrush kits are hitting the EU website!

Thanks

Comment

So I had a hands on trial run with the new airbrushes a few weeks ago. I was really impressed for the price these are fantastic sets. I highly recommend getting the tanked airbrushe if your willing to spend a little more money. The constant air pressure is so nice when painting smaller details. I’m currently still running my amazon special but when it inevitably dies I will definitely pick up my next one from Motionrc. I trust the customer service of Motionrc much more than amazon. Not that I’ve had a bad experience with my amazon airbrush actually it’s been running great over a year now. I just like knowing the company I buy from will be around with excellent custom service long into the future.

Comment

Nice work Wesley! I need to stop being so dang lazy and get mine out again...What color(s) did you use for the P-51 exhaust? Tanks look SICK!
                        My YouTube RC videos:
                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Thanks I always do my exhaust the same way lay the black down as the base coat then hit the edges with a light brown finish with some light gray just around the exits of the exhaust to give that hot look just like a real plane. I could make a hole thread devoted to this lol I use the model air paints and really enjoyed the results

Comment

Hey guys, out of interest does anyone use the Tamiya model paints and then dilute them with a bit of thinner?

I’ve not got into airbrushing yet but when I do, I was just wandering if you can use Tamiya acrylic paints thinned?

cheers!

Comment

I've found a ratio of 2 parts paint to 1 part thinner works great for me.
                              Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                              Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Adam1985 yes you definitely can use the tamiya paints on your models.

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation guys!

Comment

I did, finally, purchase the Benchcraft system. Perfect starting point for me. I used it to create Wannabe Schmitty. It was a nice learning curve to get the feel of it all. Quite a bit of work though. So I went a little further into the madness, and purchased a trigger airbrush for my next project. It cam with a couple different sized needles (.03, .05, & .08) too. Which should make it easier for full projects. I'm liking the feel of this gun a bit more. It just feels more comfortable in my hand. The trigger action is easier, for me anyhow, then the button(?). It is also a dual action airbrush.. just needs the needle set to the trigger pull for proper flow.
                                    It'll be a while for my next project to complete, but I'm really enjoying this part of the hobby so far!
                                    Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Originally posted by BluesDragon View Post
                                      I did, finally, purchase the Benchcraft system. Perfect starting point for me. I used it to create Wannabe Schmitty. It was a nice learning curve to get the feel of it all. Quite a bit of work though. So I went a little further into the madness, and purchased a trigger airbrush for my next project. It cam with a couple different sized needles (.03, .05, & .08) too. Which should make it easier for full projects. I'm liking the feel of this gun a bit more. It just feels more comfortable in my hand. The trigger action is easier, for me anyhow, then the button(?). It is also a dual action airbrush.. just needs the needle set to the trigger pull for proper flow.
                                      It'll be a while for my next project to complete, but I'm really enjoying this part of the hobby so far!
                                      BluesDragon - Awesome man. Something about airbrushing is very relaxing. Excited to see what you do with it

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post

BluesDragon - Awesome man. Something about airbrushing is very relaxing. Excited to see what you do with it
                                        Well, since you ask... I've been wanting to do a copy of a pretty infamous Corsair we all know around here. I just love the color scheme and had to steal the idea. So I'm trying it out on the new(est) 1.2 Corsair that e-flite recently put out. Still have a ways to go on my learning curve. Not quite finished with this project yet. Still have some brush painting to do on a few details. But really enjoying this aspect of the hobby for sure!
                                        Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Working...
                                        X