X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baku Soldering Station

I recently obtained the Baku Soldering Station the one with the digital display. I can say it’s a nice little unit and it works well and does what it states it does. The fact that the temperature can be controlled is a great help. It’s infinitely variable from 200ºC up to 480ºC. It’s supplied with a stand-in which to rest the iron while you are working to prevent burns. Incorporated in the stand is a tray for a wet sponge to wipe clean the tip to prevent the build-up of carbon and dirt. A small sponge is supplied as well. The instruction manual is a simple 2-page sheet with some common sense warnings and general maintenance tips. Connecting the iron to the power unit is simple and it’s polarized so it can’t be assembled incorrectly.

The tip supplied is very sharp and is ideal for delicate soldering of fine electrical components and the fact that the temperature can be adjusted means it can be set to the exact heat required for the job in hand. This makes it ideal for the hobbyist. A protective plastic sleeve is supplied to protect the tip when not in use. Remember to remove it before turning on the iron.

Another use for the iron is to remove styrofoam. Turn the temperature to the lowest setting and the heat generated is ideal for cutting foam. Have you ever wanted to remove part of the internal foam on a given model to move the battery one way or another, or to make room for a gyro for example? Well, this little soldering iron is the tool to use.

If you have never tried soldering or you are looking for new soldering iron this is the tool for you.

Replacement tips are available from Motion RC. They are listed on the website with the other soldering items.

PappaBear

In addition to cutting foam, it is also very useful on covered balsa ARFs for removing covering from servo pockets, push rod exits, air vents, etc. You want to do this on a lower setting as well.

Comment

Yes, it's great cutting the holes in the film covering because it also seals the covering to the wood as it cuts away.

Comment

Hi, I just received the Baku 936D+ soldering station from MRC. It's my first, and there are two options in the (very brief) manual that in fact don't seem to be featured on the actual station:
        - The first is the ability to use a hex key to lock the temperature control knob. The knob doesn't have any hole or hex screw to lock the knob with. Not that important of a feature I guess, but strange that it's in the manual yet not on the device.
        - There is no CAL adjuster on the device, yet it is in the manual. It even stresses that it's important to recalibrate after switching to different tips. So this seems an important feature to me?

Yesterday I posted these questions to MRC as well, but haven't had a response yet.
        I'm anxious to start using the machine, but don't want to damage anything by not being able to calibrate.

Comment

Motion RC service answered me not to worry about calibrating the temperature.
          It still seems strange that the manual mentions this, but what are you gonna do right.

Comment

These irons are a copy of the old hakko 936 stations used by a lot of rc hobbyist until hakko released the fx 888d stations. Other rc brands starting using these rebranded i think trakpower was the first to do this.
            hakko probably has tips for these still. I would suggest some larger angled tips about 5 or 6mm tip for larger wiring for battery connectors or to speed controls. You will never melt solder fast enough using the small tip it comes with. Never heat up a part longer than 5 or 6 seconds. If it doesnt melt that fast use more heat or larger tip. Never press the tip into the part hard. You shouldn't have to.
            you'll want a tip like this for the 10ga and 12ga wiring on batteries https://hakkousa.com/t18-c5-bevel-tip.html

Heres some manuals that may be better than what you got https://hakkousa.com/hakko-936-esd-s...on-936-11.html

Comment

Originally posted by UltraVargen View Post
              Hi, I just received the Baku 936D+ soldering station from MRC. It's my first, and there are two options in the (very brief) manual that in fact don't seem to be featured on the actual station:
              - The first is the ability to use a hex key to lock the temperature control knob. The knob doesn't have any hole or hex screw to lock the knob with. Not that important of a feature I guess, but strange that it's in the manual yet not on the device.
              - There is no CAL adjuster on the device, yet it is in the manual. It even stresses that it's important to recalibrate after switching to different tips. So this seems an important feature to me?

Yesterday I posted these questions to MRC as well, but haven't had a response yet.
              I'm anxious to start using the machine, but don't want to damage anything by not being able to calibrate.
              You have the digital station. It doesnt need calibration.

Comment

Working...
              X