Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What an interesting device, I haven't seen that before for RC.

Comment

I can't really comment on any of the cg balance devices as I have never used one. I've always used my fingers and never had a problem at any time. It may not be pin point accuracy of a purpose made machine, but it is close enough to fly the model and adjust after flying. Either more weight forward or rearwards.

Martin.

Comment

Hi JohnnyJet,

I've seen the device you are referring to, and you are quite right the full size are balanced this way. Yes it is a great tool for balancing large models which can be difficult to do.

Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin.MotionRC View Post
          I've always used my fingers and never had a problem at any time.
          Best wash your hands before dinner.
          (Punch line to an old adolescent joke .......................... "By the grace of God and with a little help from these two fingers, I got it all back in." If you don't know the joke, it's OK. It was a groaner anyway.)

Comment

Originally posted by DEZLPWR View Post
            Well call me foolish, but I am going to pony up the cash for the EZ Balancer Lite. Heard back from the owner and he said that they have accurately balanced planes weighing less than 1lb.
            I plan on buying more planes in the future, so I will put it to good use for sure....

http://www.ezbalancer.com/id74.html
            A friend of mine has the bigger version of this one. I've borrowed his a time or two (when working on bigger planes) and it works very well. Personally I think they are over priced especially the one for the larger models. If it was the same price as the "Lite" I'd buy one.

Comment

I have the EZ Balancer plus, I do have aircraft that top out at 69 lbs. and wing spans of 120 plus inches. Its a must for very large aircraft. For the smaller aircraft I use the GP CG machine which does good for small airframes.

Comment

For large aircraft I use 3 scales. Prop the plane up level if its a taildragger. One wheel on each scale and a little math and you know the CG

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                  For large aircraft I use 3 scales. Prop the plane up level if its a taildragger. One wheel on each scale and a little math and you know the CG
                  That method also gives you a read on lateral balance as well.

Comment

Many forget that CG is a point in 3D space.

And when dealing with Pattern competition aircraft it does matter in all 3. CG too high or low causes roll with rudder in knife edge.

Comment

i made this years ago and it's very easy to use when balancing larger models. I had the stuff on hand so cost was zero.
                      Tom

Comment

Here's a closer though blurry shot of the pivot.
                        Tom

Comment

Good job Pogo, I've been thinking of doing that as well, nothing fancy, just give me the CG.
                          I have a Great Planes balancer that works fairly well, but there's nothing like wrestling with it then you're trying to hover a 1600 mm airplane above it while trying ti get the rulers to stay in the right position.
                          Many a colorful metaphor has been created while attempting this......

Grossman56

Comment

Ah yes the GP balancer dance.

Comment

Originally posted by boomer108 View Post
                              Ah yes the GP balancer dance.
                              Been there done that.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                Good job Pogo, I've been thinking of doing that as well, nothing fancy, just give me the CG.
                                I have a Great Planes balancer that works fairly well, but there's nothing like wrestling with it then you're trying to hover a 1600 mm airplane above it while trying ti get the rulers to stay in the right position.
                                Many a colorful metaphor has been created while attempting this......

Grossman56
                                Yes, I like simple. The pivots only go maybe 20 degrees forward and back so the model won't slide off- it's stable enough that I've shifted batteries around with the plane on the balancer , for example this 13 lb. B-17.
                                Tom

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DEZLPWR View Post
                                    Well call me foolish, but I am going to pony up the cash for the EZ Balancer Lite. Heard back from the owner and he said that they have accurately balanced planes weighing less than 1lb.
                                    I plan on buying more planes in the future, so I will put it to good use for sure....

http://www.ezbalancer.com/id74.html
                                    This looks much better than the Great Planes machine that I have. I think the GP is grossly overpriced and a bit finicky.

Comment

Originally posted by BILLY BOY View Post

This looks much better than the Great Planes machine that I have. I think the GP is grossly overpriced and a bit finicky.
                                      'Grossly' is an understatement- you can make a more accurate one with some good aluminum tube, some aluminum angle, some rubber tips and a few threaded studs with knobs.

Comment

I've had great success utilizing the GP balancer with each of my planes..and I'm pretty OCD. If pictures on the wall are outta balance, even slightly, I will notice and have to reset them. Most of the time I can eyeball the center within 1/16-1/8 of an inch. Drives the wife crazy(er) then me! So far, I've yet to have to trim my elevator(s) much at all. Have done the 'GP balancer dance', but now I just get my son to stand by the tail end while I set my rulers to specs. With the Corsair, I was able to get it right on manufacture's suggested range of 85mm-90mm. Wheels up at one point and wheels down on the other. Works well enough for me.

Comment

+ 1 for a home-made Vanessa CG machine. If you do any kind of modeling or building at home you probably have all the ingredients just lying around the workshop. Works great.

Comment

Working...
                                          X