X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gluing stryofoam

I need to glue a Styrofoam part back on the plane. Gorilla glue is attacking the foam. Any suggestion on a type of glue to use?

I've had good luck with StyroGoo, and am currently using Foam-Tac, which bonds well and seems pretty strong.

Comment

Another vote here for Foam-Tac.

Comment

and another vote here for Foam-Tac.
        AMA 424553

Comment

Hands down, foam-tac for most foam types is phenomenal.

Comment

In a pinch, hot melt glue works too

Comment

Repeat. Foam Tac , Foam Tac, Foam Tac!

Comment

Originally posted by MCO3024 View Post
                I need to glue a Styrofoam part back on the plane. Gorilla glue is attacking the foam. Any suggestion on a type of glue to use?
                I use the white gorilla glue all of the time, with no issues. In fact, I used it to glue all the pieces of foam together for creating the plug for the 11 foot B-1B Lancer that I am working on(see pics attached) , and that is just run of the mill 1 pound foam. I have found that the white gorilla glue is the absolute best for gluing retract mounts back in after they have been pulled out by a hard landing, As the glue expands, it locks the housing into place, and I have not had a second failure when using it.

I have also used 5 minute epoxy on a regular basis for the past, oh I don't know, 10-12 years or so, for gluing all of the structural parts together. When using epoxy though, you want to make sure that you are gluing foam to foam, and remove any paint on the surfaces that you are joining.

For small, quick fixes, I like foam safe CA and kicker. For at the field repairs, of non structural breaks, it cant be beat. I have re-glued many a wingtip, nose cone, and other small parts using it, so that I could continue to fly while at the field, and I never leave home without it.

There a lot of guys, see above, that preach and swear by Foam-tac. I do like it, I just do not like the cure time. For re-hinging it can not be beat. The glue stays flexible, and can be used instead of hinge tape to repair a foam hinge like nothing that I have ever seen. Neat-O!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160330_152714.jpg
Views:	1748
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	53499Click image for larger version

Name:	20160418_191532.jpg
Views:	1608
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	53500Click image for larger version

Name:	20160419_180931.jpg
Views:	1631
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	53501

Comment

B-1B.......... Yummm.......

To the OP's question, I'm trying to imagine how Gorilla Glue is "attacking" your foam. Are you describing Gorilla Glue's aggressive expansion behavior? What airplane is this, or what type of foam is this? I've used Gorilla Glue on many types of foam and it works great for its intended purpose. I've used it to sheet foam wings with balsa, to repair a ten piece SU-35 puzzle, and other strutural joints. Adjusting the amount of water mist and varying clamping pressure and amount of glue can result in a semi-rigid bond, all the way up to a very rigid one.
                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I wish That I could 3D model and CNC it Alpha. This all by eye, blown up on an art projector from 3 view drawings, transferred to insulation sheet, and then filled in and shaped by hand. It is sized for quad 90mm. I have the nacelles cast in fiberglass from their plugs, I just need to finish the fuse plug and start casting parts!! Then I have to find to find someone to CNC me some scale gear!!

Comment

I used to have access to this, https://www.blehmplastics.com/?products=bp8003 but not since I've been into flying planes. I'd love to try some. as it worked very well on the Styrofoam we used to make molds with.

Comment

Originally posted by serpentracer View Post
                        I used to have access to this, https://www.blehmplastics.com/?products=bp8003 but not since I've been into flying planes. I'd love to try some. as it worked very well on the Styrofoam we used to make molds with.
                        A gallon of that stuff would last me 10 years, maybe 20 years in this hobby. Now, if I was building a full scale styrofoam homebuild kit plane................

Comment

Working...
                        X