You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mobile RC Field Box (with links to purchase)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile RC Field Box (with links to purchase)

As all of us RC hobbyist know, a field equipment box or bag is a very subjective thing. Some people enjoying various types of carrying bags, others prefer backpacks, and some like tool chests, etc. I have been searching for several weeks to come up with a relatively inexpensive means of transporting all my necessary equipment to and from the field as conveniently and reliably as possible. I searched hundreds, if not thousands of different types and sized bags, cases, trolleys, etc., priced anywhere between $50-500 (although I didn't want to spend that much, but it was important for me to see what was available at a broad range of price points for consideration). There are some amazing RC field bags/boxes out there, but they all have their ideal purposes. For me, I primarily needed something that can carry all my tools, accessories, batteries (sometimes 12 6S 4000-5000mah at a time or more), transmitter, etc. (basically everything but the planes themselves) in one mobile box on wheels that contains organizers to keep everything separate and accessible. It needed be sturdy enough to carry at least 50 pounds, but doesn't need to be of industrial strength. I won't be taking anything off-roading or needing it to withstand falls, etc., and I'm also every careful and considerate of my tools. All these traits may seem like a bit much to ask for, but it was possible and I did indeed find what I was looking for.

First is the Husky 15 Gallon Cantilever Mobile Box (cost me $50), which is the meat and potatoes of my RC Field Box. The box has wheels and a long sturdy handle to roll everything from the car to the flying field and vice versa. It's main feature that peaked my interest was the cantilever top, which has each side extend outwards to reveal the deep space of the inner box, and a max load rating of 80 pounds. Each top side has is a great compartment to store and organize tools, hardware, accessories, etc., and come with great separators that slide into their slots however you choose to organize it. The box has a great space below to fit quite a bit of the larger RC items like transmitters, charger/power supply, LiPo's, etc.

Husky Box Specifications:
    • 25.4 in. W x 14.7 in. D x 16.1 in. H
    • 3465 cu. in of holding capacity
    • Built in organizer with 18 adjustable compartments
    • Soft grip extending handle
    • 8 in. all-terrain wheels offer mobility on almost any surface
    • Unique, cantilever lid design with integrated organizers
    • Heavy-duty construction is built to last
    • Dual latches for secure closure

You can see in the pictures that I chose not to use all the separators in the two top drawers, only some in one of them. The other top drawer I used to carry an aftermarket (not included with the Husky Box) is a clear snap case with organizer slots (cost about $5 at an art store), which all my small spare parts, Velcro, connectors, glue, hardware, electrical tape, shrink wrap, etc. are in, and must be kept neat and isolated from one another.

I also chose to purchase an aftermarket carrying bag for all my LiPo's. I needed a bag that was extremely sturdy, had a carrying strap, and divided slots to keep the batteries from moving much during transportation. A Husky 9" Square All Trade Bag (going by memory, cost me $30) fit absolutely flawlessly in the Husky Mobile Box. You can see in the pictures that I have nice 6S 5000mah LiPo's in the bag, but I can fit up to 12 of mine in the bag. The bag also has many compartments for additional tools or hardware.

Sometimes it's a bit too dark in my garage to see well (no built-in lighting available), or at the field under the shady trees, so I purchased some battery operated LED lights. They have a magnet on the back to adhere to metal surfaces, a hangar that folds out, and takes three triple A batteries to operate. I chose to Velcro the light to the side of the box, which has plenty of illumination to see in the box and can be easily held like a flashlight if need be. It's a simple and cheap solution for added visibility inside the box in low light conditions.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UM...BMWWF43XJ&th=1

I also added some stick on rubber pads on the bottom on all four corners of the underside of the Husky Box for added protection while laying flat.

So far, this box has been great, very easy to find all my RC supplies at the field, keeps things safe, and can fit in my front seat of the car or in the back. Between the cost of the box, the bag I purchased for my LiPo's, and the little LED lights (came with three, but only need and use one), and the little clear snap organizer, I spent about $100. I think that's a darn good deal considering all that I have to show for it in one convenient mobile solution.

Husky Box:
    http://m.homedepot.com/p/Husky-15-Ga...0380/207138341

Husky Bag:
    http://m.homedepot.com/p/Husky-9-in-...0N14/206923629

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0715.JPG Views:	1 Size:	97.4 KB ID:	69965Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0714.JPG Views:	1 Size:	89.4 KB ID:	69970Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0713.JPG Views:	1 Size:	51.2 KB ID:	69969Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0725.JPG Views:	1 Size:	94.5 KB ID:	69968Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0716.JPG Views:	1 Size:	88.1 KB ID:	69967Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0723.JPG Views:	1 Size:	92.6 KB ID:	69964Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0721.JPG Views:	1 Size:	96.1 KB ID:	69963Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0722.JPG Views:	1 Size:	92.8 KB ID:	69966Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0718.JPG Views:	1 Size:	101.9 KB ID:	69962Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0720.JPG Views:	1 Size:	116.2 KB ID:	69973Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0724.JPG Views:	1 Size:	100.3 KB ID:	69971Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0663.JPG Views:	1 Size:	64.5 KB ID:	69972

Thats really nice. Funny that I already own the bag that I use for my electrical tools for work except the one i have has a compartment in the bottom with a small parts plastic case that slides in and out and doubles to strengthen the case. :Cool:

Dewey l

Comment

Ill post a picture i hope of the bag. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170401_211913_001.jpg
Views:	1735
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	69977
      Dewey l

Comment

Very nice Dewey!! That's definitely like it, and a very cool compartment for the plastic case.

Comment

In addition, a good alternative to the Husky cantilever box is the Keter Sliding Tool Chest. It is sold under other brand names as well, many vendors carry it. It comes in other color schemes depending on where you order it from. It has very similar dimensions to the Husky box, has two top storage compartments the slide outwards to reveal the deep storage compartment underneath. The center rotating lock secures the top drawers from sliding out. For light use, it should do the job for our Hobby, although some care should always be used with plastic mechanisms like that to make sure the box lasts as long as possible. It has a bit smaller load rating of 60 pounds compared to 80 pounds of the Husky. In most cases for us RC hobbyist, either max weight rating should suffice.

Here is the manufacturer's webpage of the Sliding tool chest:

Sears sells it under the Craftsman brand for about $50 (at the time of this writing), and I saw it at my local Sears. It's sold in a red and black color scheme.
          https://m.sears.com/craftsman-mobile...ft-pdp-buy-cta

Northern Tool sells it as well (for about $55 at the time of this writing), and I found a $10 discount code to bring the price down a little further. It is sold in a black and gray color scheme.
          http://m.northerntool.com/products/s...ontent=300x250

Amazon sells this Keter Sliding Tool Chest as well.

I hope this helps some folks for good mobile field boxes at very affordable prices.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this :Ligthbulb: - I meant to get back to this topic for a weekend or longer trip (like to NEFI or CVSP). Saved us a lot of:Clock: kudos on the research. Sweet tool kit by T-CAT.:Cool::Stars:

Comment

Thanks a ton! You're definitely welcome. I sure hope this helps people that have the same check list in a mobile kit that I did. It's working out great so far, and at such little cost and quality compared to many of the dedicated RC advertised/marketed field equipment carrying units (which tend to be much more fragile, have a much higher cost, and less usable space).

Comment

I've resorted to using a 3 ball rolling bowling ball tote. Works perfect for getting the deep cycle battery, lipos, charger, and a tool box to and from the car. Telescopic handle, and is plenty sturdy for the job. Plenty of pockets too.

Comment

Great idea Thomas! That looks excellent, and thank you for sharing.

Comment

Well, it has been almost 3 years since I have created this thread, so figured it was time for an update. Thankfully, the Husky Cantilever Tool Box on wheels has held up great. It has been a means of consolidating all of my RC field equipment in an easy to use and organized manner. I've been happy with my purchase and hope the tool box holds up for more years to come. I am very easy on my equipment though, so that aids in the longevity of my purchases.

The tool box has been configured a bit differently over the years as some components change, such as the transmitter carry case dimensions, the LiPo carry case(s), accessories brought to the field, etc.

The pictures below show what my set up looks like at the moment.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for sharing this in detail, T-Cat! I know we all have a toolbox or some sort, and it's nice seeing the method you use to organize what you need. We use similar setups to haul gear to the testing fields. Aircraft, troubleshooting gear, photography and video equipment, waders for when the prototype crashes in the thorny bushes or the boat runs aground, etc.
                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Thanks Alpha! It's definitely worth finding a system that works well for us hobbyists. I used to carry many different boxes, items, etc. all individually and that became frustrating at times. Finding a way to consolidate into a system has been a great help to keep organized and never forget anything at the field.

That is a fantastic point you made about additional equipment taken to the field for your scenario because of prototype testing, photography, in case of crashes, etc.

Comment

I can’t get all my crap into one box. Ammo cans for batteries, big box for gas cans, big box for tow ropes/ Aerotow stuff, depending on which field may need generator, three drawer tool box, transmitter case, battery charger case, folding chair, etc...
                          if I’m flying just control line I can get everything in one field box plus the tool box..

Comment

No doubt it can be tough, ha-ha, and sometimes not possible in a relatively compact tool box and using larger or more abundant items needed to take to the field. I had to resort to using my 1-pound foldable camping chair instead of my larger recliner type just to reduce another item to take separately since it fits in the tool box. Most of the time I use the field chairs, which they thankfully have available. If I carry a generator, that is definitely carried separately. Thankfully it has a carry handle. I still have to modify my tool box to carry a fire extinguisher on the outside for easy transport, and few additional mods I would like to make.

Comment

T-CAT,

Your set-up with the rolling tool box seems like a great way to consolidate and transport all of the necessary tools to the field.

Great idea and thanks for sharing this.

Paul

Comment

Thank you for the kind words, Paul. I truly appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                                X