X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop tools/equipment

I don't know how useful this will be as it seems most folks are flying foam ARFs and not building from kits or plans. But here is what I've found to be the most useful when doing a build in the order of the most useful to the least (in my opinion).

X-acto knife. I have several with different shaped blades.
    Sanding bars. The more the better with several grits of sandpaper
    Razor Plane. One of the most useful tools for building with wood
    Soldering Iron and solder
    Band Saw (preferably a band saw with multiple speeds so it can also cut metal)
    Sanding Disc/Belt Sander unit
    Vice
    Razor Saw
    Bench Grinder
    Small C-clamps. I have several sizes from 1" to 4" throats
    Sharping stones to keep all blades sharp and reduces costs for replacements
    Good rulers, compass, pencils, marking pens, and various sticks, wire, brass tubes, and bolts

I assume everyone has a drill and bits as well as assorted hand tools.

I have a lot more in my shop that most would never use such as metal working equipment, electronic meters, O-Scope, signal generators, prototype boards, and electronic parts. I also have several computers, power supplies, and other stuff for working with step motors for CNC.

Its taken me 30 years to accumulate all of the large items. Things like sanding bars, drills, X-acto knives, and other hand tools I've had since I was a kid.

RE: Shop tools/equipment

Hi, ronf. I also have everything you mentioned. I also use a drill press and belt sander. For stick building, I no longer use pins. I lay galvanized sheet metal (from Lowes) on my table, the plans on that and neodbium magnets to hold things in place. It works great! I don't know how anyone puts an ARF or kit together without a full shop. The Doctor

Comment

Since I have a small welding/fab/machine shop I operate p/t, I thought I'd post some of the projects I make for myself & many of our club members. I know most RC'rs don't have such luxuries, although you could check around your local area & perhaps locate someone who may also be able/willing to help you out. I have fabricated many types/styles of landing gear, made aluminum muffler extensions, & welded many alum. muffler tubes. Also, having TIG welding rod of various diameters, helped make some wire LG for the smaller park-flyers, & heavy-duty pushrods for the fellows flying large scale planes. I always ask the fellows to provide a template or very detailed drawing/sketch with exact dimensions to insure a proper fit that meets their needs. I managed to acquire a few "STOP" signs that were discarded that make absolutely superb LG since they are made from "tempered" aluminum that flexes very nicely for landing on rougher surfaces/grass. I really enjoy doing this & always take pics of "how did you do that?". My sister-in-law is the club newsletter editor & posts the projects w/pics for others to look at. If anyone has any queries, don't hesitate to ask. Here's some pics....gonna need another post.

Denny

[hr]
      Balance of pics...

Denny

Attached Files
      *** \"A man\'s word is his honor....without honor there is nothing.\" ***
      *** I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the Flag & Constitution of the USA. ***

Comment

Here's some additional pics of one of the smaller alum. LG I made for my Flyzone Piper Super Cub. I decided to make it much more stable for T.O's & landings on grass & added 4" tundra tires......no problems anymore. Here's the link to the stock puny wire LG that come with this plane.

Denny

http://www.motionrc.com/flyzone-piper-super-cub-landing-gear-w-wheels/

Attached Files
        *** \"A man\'s word is his honor....without honor there is nothing.\" ***
        *** I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the Flag & Constitution of the USA. ***

Comment

Have need for a third, fourth, and fifth hand from time to time.

Please share your brand of vice.

Good thread.

Thanks for sharing. My shop is kitchen or dining room tables, floor, pickup truck tailgate and a very forgiving wife.

Jimmy

Originally posted by RonF
          I don't know how useful this will be as it seems most folks are flying foam ARFs and not building from kits or plans. But here is what I've found to be the most useful when doing a build in the order of the most useful to the least (in my opinion).

X-acto knife. I have several with different shaped blades.
          Sanding bars. The more the better with several grits of sandpaper
          Razor Plane. One of the most useful tools for building with wood
          Soldering Iron and solder
          Band Saw (preferably a band saw with multiple speeds so it can also cut metal)
          Sanding Disc/Belt Sander unit
          Vice
          Razor Saw
          Bench Grinder
          Small C-clamps. I have several sizes from 1" to 4" throats
          Sharping stones to keep all blades sharp and reduces costs for replacements
          Good rulers, compass, pencils, marking pens, and various sticks, wire, brass tubes, and bolts

I assume everyone has a drill and bits as well as assorted hand tools.

I have a lot more in my shop that most would never use such as metal working equipment, electronic meters, O-Scope, signal generators, prototype boards, and electronic parts. I also have several computers, power supplies, and other stuff for working with step motors for CNC.

Its taken me 30 years to accumulate all of the large items. Things like sanding bars, drills, X-acto knives, and other hand tools I've had since I was a kid.
          Jimmy

I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.  :)

Death is the number one killer in the world.

Comment

Hemostats from Harbor Freight have become one of my most useful tools. There is a reason surgeons use them in delicate surgery! Doc

Comment

Yes, I know all about these for many years.

Comment

Yorki I want to be your best friend and closest neighbor! 

Bryan 
                But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Yorki, you do have the ultimate shop! No task would be to small.
                  Still Learning:D

Comment

Good stuff here on tools. I second the motion on hemostats...invaluable IMO. Another item I like to have on hand are the emery/grit boards from a beauty supply house, in a variety of different grits. And I also love my battery powered Dremel.

Comment

I glue sand paper around varying size dowel rods and on to craft sticks. This really comes in handy. Doc

Comment

Originally posted by Bajora View Post
                        Good stuff here on tools. I second the motion on hemostats...invaluable IMO. Another item I like to have on hand are the emery/grit boards from a beauty supply house, in a variety of different grits. And I also love my battery powered Dremel.
                        Am right there with ya Bajora on the emery/grit boards, especially the foam constructed ones. My sweetie is always asking me if I took one of her nail files and my response is "I probably did, maybe you better keep a stock pile on hand" !! :rolleyes:
                        Warbird Charlie
                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I can't build or even assemble a model without these. A set of metric drill bits ranging from 0.3mm to 1.6mm preferably up to 2mm.
                          And a set of JIS screw driver. While these are cross head drivers they are vastly different that the Reed & Price and Philips type we think of here in the USA. MotionRC really should carry a set. They are far more useful than a pair of ball link pliers.

On to test equipment. Nobody should call themselves a well equipped electric flier without one of these, an inductance DC clamp on amp meter! And maybe even a tach but I'd think a VOM would be of a bit more value.

All the best,
                          Konrad

Comment

Just purchased Thrust Testing Platform. After a little calibration this platform works great and is extremely versatile. Easy to test edf units or completed aircraft.

Comment

Working...
                            X