The Definitive A-10 Thunderbolt II - Pre-Order Today!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

scratch and dent

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scratch and dent

I have had very good service from motion rc until today , I bought a tiger moth in the scratch and dent department and I know they are sold as is but it said no parts missing ,it was sent back because the cowl was orange not yellow like the plane, that was fine but there was no prop should have be 2 in the box . if they say no parts missing they should stand by that . I called and was told to bad sold as is

Yup, I've been burned by the "Scratch and Dent" and will not likely buy that way again.

Coincidentally I bought a Dynam Tiger Month from the scratch and dent and it was supposed to be in excellent shape except the box was damaged. I'm fine with the to save a few bucks, i don't need the box once I have the model.

My cowl was also orange and not yellow but I was fine with that since I am going to paint the cowl blue.

When I tested my servos the right aileron one had a busted gear and did not work quite right. They would not do anything because it was scratch and dent. When I removed the servo it put a hole in the wing because Dynam used an insane amount of glue on it. Now I have a hole in the wing and the servos won't be in stock for another month or so.

A while back I was interested in a plane that was scratch and dent, I asked for pictures and was give numerous reasons why they couldn't get them. If they have opened the box and know what is wrong why not take a picture at that time so the customer can see exactly what the damage is.

Rant off...

Comment

Hi Guys,

We walk a thin line with scratch and dent products. The amount of labor it takes to get a heavily discounted scratch and dent product on our site borders on "not worth it". By the time we receive a scratch and dent back from the customer, we've already paid to ship it to the customer and paid the same amount to get it back to Motion RC.

When the model is sold again we will have payed to ship the plane 3 times and we discounted it. This does not take into account the Customer Service labor to handle the return, the Warehouse labor to handle the return, the Warehouse labor to ship the product (twice), and the labor to put it on our web site (to say nothing about what we paid for the plane to begin with). If we simply destroyed it and wrote off, we'd likely be in better shape. We simply do not have the resources to carry out a detailed check on models returned that will end up in the scratch and dent section. This is why we try to keep labor to a minimum and adding a lot of pictures is the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back.

However, I know I love a deal and I assume others do too. We try to provide these scratch and dent deals to customers as efficiently as possible.

Martin Bedding

Customer Service Manager at Motion RC.

Comment

yep that was my first and last, all the money I spend there I think they could come up with a prop. I have had trouble with the last 3 of there planes ,don't think I will be buying anymore. not motions fault they have be good about taking care of the problems but will spend a little more for an e-flit or fms freewing

Comment

my only bitch is the ad said no parts missing if I new the prop was missing , no big deal I would have ordered 2 props when I ordered the plane , now I pay $ 5 shipping for a $4 prop

Comment

Originally posted by Martin.MotionRC View Post
            We simply do not have the resources to carry out a detailed check on models returned that will end up in the scratch and dent section. This is why we try to keep labor to a minimum and adding a lot of pictures is the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back.
            I fail to see how taking a few pictures is going to break the camels back, you already have to look at the product in order to post a description of what is wrong. You're already looking at the product and posting it on the website. Perhaps this is an agree to disagree situation.

Comment

I know it sounds like a simple process but it is actually more involved than simply snapping a photo. The warehouse is far too busy with other things and one would have to pull a similar plane out and compare all the parts to see what may be missing as no one will know exactly what goes in each plane. Now you have to also consider the fact that all of the CST Team flies RC and have done so for many years however we are not at the warehouse to perform these steps and believe it or not the warehouse personnel don't fly RC nor do they need to know how. They pull orders and unload containers and do various tasks and airplane repair is not one of them. As Martin stated it simply is almost not worth the time. However we have many customers on budgets and these are a great deal for them so we want to continue to offer them to those who might otherwise forgo the Hobby. These are also used by many for spare parts and they will never fly again in their current state without some form of repair or parts replacement. That is why we include the note on our site "Please Note: Because of their deeply discounted prices, scratch and dent items cannot be returned or exchanged even if more is discovered to be found wrong beyond what was reported." That also means if parts are missing as they give these a cursory inspection, yep I see a wing a fuselage and looks to be a bag of parts and they note any damage but not under a microscope. They simply don't have the time and we all know time is money. We hope everyone understands our position on this and maybe S/D's are not for everyone but rest assured we have many who Thank us for offering these at the discounted prices and we would like to continue to do so but we may just toss them in the dumpster instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne@MotionRC View Post
                I know it sounds like a simple process but it is actually more involved than simply snapping a photo. The warehouse is far too busy with other things and one would have to pull a similar plane out and compare all the parts to see what may be missing as no one will know exactly what goes in each plane.
                You're missing my point, they already have the box open to tell whomever updates the website what is wrong with the product and at that point a picture shouldn't be a big deal (I'm not talking about missing parts here but damaged product).

As for not knowing what parts are missing I get that but a propeller seems easy to spot but I get it if the workers don't know anything about R/C they wouldn't know to look for that.

I've been the I.T. Director where I work for 24 years, I've designed a lot of software and built many systems in my career. In my case I know what it's like to have people doing a job that don't have computer skills so we design our stuff with that in mind, after all we didn't hire them because they are a computer whiz but they have a needed skill be that welding, assembly or something else that makes them valuable. I've designed and implemented many programs for our warehouse staff to do their job so I get it, really I do.

Another option would be to take damaged product and replace the broken parts with undamaged parts and not discount it. Of course I don't know what the product margins are but that seems like it would be cheaper that tossing the whole thing in the dumpster.

Having written all of that I love Motion and their dedication to the hobby and customer service. I have spent a lot of money here in the last two years (I'm sure not as much as some have) and will continue to do so but for me and some others the scratch and dent is too risky of a proposition.

For those that take the chance and it works out Kudos to them!

Comment

I was really pleased with my recent buy off of the scratch and dent section. I realized that when I made the purchase it was as is just like clearly stated in the add. If you wish to buy a like new plane with warranty then buy a new plane.

Comment

Working...
                  X