You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foam-Tac shelf life AFTER it has been opened.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Foam-Tac shelf life AFTER it has been opened.

    I've got a 2oz bottle of Foam-Tac that is about 2 years old, I opened it about a year ago. I was going to use it on my F-4 but it's so thick (more than I remember) I decided to use the glue that came with the plane.

    That got me to wondering what the shelf life is of Foam-Tac once it has been opened.

    What kind of life are you seeing with the glue?

  • #2
    DK..........the air in the bottle is what sets it up just like it does to the 2oz Gorilla white glue.
    That is the reason that I requested about a year ago that Motion acquire(which Tom did) the Dual 1oz tube pacs.
    Get the same amount at same price and no more worries about unusable wasted material.
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U and a Fox glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3
    Incinerator Loss 16

    Comment


    • #3
      Yup, that’s what I’ll be buying next time I place an order.

      Comment


      • #4
        This is a major problem!

        If your Foam-Tac (greatest substance known to man) is going bad there's only one conclusion...

        You're not using enough Foam-Tac because you're not fixing enough planes because you're not crashing enough because you're not flying enough...so get to flying, crashing, fixing planes and using Foam-Tac
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

        Comment


        • #5
          Hahaha TI, that's the greatest post known to man! 100% agree!

          Comment


          • #6
            I said this in other posts, I kept the cap and when I'm done with it, (use the two once for building) I squeeze the air out and put the cap back on and it is good to the very end. R.
            AMA 424553

            Comment


            • #7
              I never squeezed the air out but I always put the cap back on. I’’be been told about the cap by several people, were talking about the red cap aren’’t we?

              Comment


              • #8
                No, the cap that comes in it first, the red dispenser with white cap will leak air in and I have had it crack so I just put the other one on it after the squeeze, R.
                AMA 424553

                Comment


                • #9
                  I opened it a year ago so I don't remember what all was there, apparently that other cap was tossed it in the garbage. Today I ordered the two 1oz bottles and now that I know not to toss the other cap I won't

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
                    I opened it a year ago so I don't remember what all was there, apparently that other cap was tossed it in the garbage. Today I ordered the two 1oz bottles and now that I know not to toss the other cap I won't
                    I'll lay a wager that you won't go back to the 2oz bottle .The 1oz TUBES are the way to go unless your a volume user like George who orders it by the 5 gal pail.
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U and a Fox glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3
                    Incinerator Loss 16

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by OV10 View Post

                      I'll lay a wager that you won't go back to the 2oz bottle .The 1oz TUBES are the way to go unless your a volume user like George who orders it by the 5 gal pail.
                      We're going to see if we can get it on tap

                      I'll use a whole 2oz bottle in one hangar day, last Saturday was busy I build, fixed or setup eight planes.

                      Foam-Tac and Velcro go quickly around here, but it sure is a lot of fun
                      TiredIron Aviation
                      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I use the 2oz when i need a large area to cover and I have tubes in my flight box and all three of my build tables,(always a plane to fix) so I don't have to look for it. R
                        AMA 424553

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Air in the bottle is meaningless. Foam-tac does not cure. Its polymers dissolved in solvents. The thickening is solvent loss pure and simple. If you put the original cap back on with the foil liner it helps. I also keep the bottle in a coffee can with a cover to try to keep the solvent in the bottle. Seems to help I have also used foam safe kicker which is mostly hexane as a solvent.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by petefoss View Post
                            Air in the bottle is meaningless. Foam-tac does not cure. Its polymers dissolved in solvents. The thickening is solvent loss pure and simple. If you put the original cap back on with the foil liner it helps. I also keep the bottle in a coffee can with a cover to try to keep the solvent in the bottle. Seems to help I have also used foam safe kicker which is mostly hexane as a solvent.
                            +1 Gorilla is moisture cure, I store the bottles tip side down (get the small ones clear). This helps but it will still cure eventually. ( I had an unopened one harden up recently :o(

                            Yup the foam tac cures when the solvent evaporates, It now comes in small and smaller foil type tubes like the factory contact comes.I just got some, the old plastic clear bottle can clog the tip and be a pain to deal with.
                            rc flyin addict

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I just stick a nail down the opening when done and cap it. On my next usage there's a bit of cured glue around the head of the nail. Pull the nail out and it's all good again. Although I'm pretty much getting back into after every other flight or so these days. Can't wait for those days it can sit on the shelf for two years without needing it!
                              HobbyZone Mini Apprentice 1220mm: Passed on to my son
                              E-Flite PT-17 Stearman 1.1m: Passed on
                              E-Flite PT-17 Stearman 1.1m v2: Current Flyer
                              Dynam F4U Corsair 1.2m: Awaiting training day graduation

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                                This is a major problem!

                                If your Foam-Tac (greatest substance known to man) is going bad there's only one conclusion...

                                You're not using enough Foam-Tac because you're not fixing enough planes because you're crashing enough because you're not flying enough...so get to flying, crashing, fixing planes and using Foam-Tac
                                <LIKE>
                                I'm going to put this on my website. And ebay.

                                By the way, the solvent is Tetrachloroethylene (found in brake cleaning spray). If your 2oz FT is thickened up, you can revive it by adding 1 DROP at a time. Don't try to add more to thin the Foam-Tac, yes it will make it thinner but it will destroy foam. So it only takes a drop or two. Yakety Yak. The solution is to use the Foam-Tac, don't try to store it. Crash more!
                                In my hanger: F-4, A-4, A-10, F-104, P51D "Iron Ass", B-24, Dauntless SBD, F7F Tigercat, Dynam B-26, Lipp.P19, Durafly Komets, Vampire, Sea Vixen. A Radian XL... Coming soon: P-61

                                Lots of Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 and 9' B36... and some snot-powered planes including Mud Ducks!

                                Marc - AKA "themudduck" AMA272633
                                "foamerbird" on YouTube
                                www.rabidmodels.com

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by themudduck View Post

                                  <LIKE>
                                  I'm going to put this on my website. And ebay.

                                  By the way, the solvent is Tetrachloroethylene (found in brake cleaning spray). If your 2oz FT is thickened up, you can revive it by adding 1 DROP at a time. Don't try to add more to thin the Foam-Tac, yes it will make it thinner but it will destroy foam. So it only takes a drop or two. Yakety Yak. The solution is to use the Foam-Tac, don't try to store it. Crash more!
                                  I had to go back and edit it...I left out a "not"
                                  TiredIron Aviation
                                  Tired Iron Military Vehicles

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Don't worry, I got you covered. Check ebay item# 352245582316, towards the end of the listing!
                                    In my hanger: F-4, A-4, A-10, F-104, P51D "Iron Ass", B-24, Dauntless SBD, F7F Tigercat, Dynam B-26, Lipp.P19, Durafly Komets, Vampire, Sea Vixen. A Radian XL... Coming soon: P-61

                                    Lots of Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 and 9' B36... and some snot-powered planes including Mud Ducks!

                                    Marc - AKA "themudduck" AMA272633
                                    "foamerbird" on YouTube
                                    www.rabidmodels.com

                                    Comment

                                    Working...
                                    X