Arctic Camo F-16 V2 70mm

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minwax Polycrylic

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Repair finished--wicked very liberal amount of thin CA in underside crack and Retract mount...hit with liberal amount of CA kicker. After stabilized, coated top of small wing area with 30-min epoxy and 1 layer of ultra-thin fiberglass cloth. Soaked in and cured overnight; Beacon Foam Finish to smooth and match airfoil curve; primed with 2 light coats of Testor enamel primer (grey). Followed with two coats of Rustoleum metallic aluminum enamel and 2 coats of Varathane gloss.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by deadbug View Post
      Repair finished--wicked very liberal amount of thin CA in underside crack and Retract mount...hit with a liberal amount of CA kicker. After stabilized, coated top of small wing area with 30-min epoxy and 1 layer of ultra-thin fiberglass cloth. Soaked in and cured overnight; Beacon Foam Finish to smooth and match airfoil curve; primed with 2 light coats of Testor enamel primer (grey). Followed with two coats of Rustoleum metallic aluminum enamel and 2 coats of Varathane gloss.
      DB, Looks OEM and has that new car smell. WIn Win... Best, LB
      Captain: Got any ideas?
      F/O: Actually not.
      — Captain Chesley B 'Sully' Sullenberger III and F/O Jeff Skiles—

      Comment


      • Originally posted by doctormike View Post
        The Doctor****ADDENDUM. Use VARATHANE waterbase polyurethane instead of Minwax. It is MUCH better quality. Sorry, guys. I just learned this. The Doctor
        I've been using Minwax for years on my foamies, thanks for the tip, I'll try it. Never thought of using it as a primer...nice!

        Comment


        • both are great, I've been using Minwax PRO spar Urethane, IMHO, it gives me the glossiest finish. I also have used the Varathane version as well, I just find that the Minwax Pro is the glossiest

          Grossman56
          Team Gross!

          Comment


          • Great thread. I bought Minwax MATTE from walmart and I be darn if it still has a shine to it.

            I did notice when it came to putting it on color reds I had to apply it heavy and then spread it out, had to keep the brush (foam) soaked


            I want to try Varathane matte, know any where to get it that is not a gallon?

            Comment


            • Will 91% alcohol break the paint? I think it will. If you are going to repaint the plane, then, it does not matter. I tried to coat my new F4U with minwax and had an awful time getting it to stick. I had to sand it down using various grits of paper before I got a finish I could live with. I think it took at least 4 coats and sanding between each coat before reached a point of acceptable finish. What help was sanding and then using the spray tape and sanding again and using a foam brush. This is the very first time I had this issue. There was oil somewhere on the finish. The plane looks really nice now and I will leave good enough alone.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post
                Great thread. I bought Minwax MATTE from walmart and I be darn if it still has a shine to it.

                I did notice when it came to putting it on color reds I had to apply it heavy and then spread it out, had to keep the brush (foam) soaked


                I want to try Varathane matte, know any where to get it that is not a gallon?
                I don't know where you a located, but I get mine from Menards.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by boomer108 View Post

                  I don't know where you a located, but I get mine from Menards.
                  I'm located in NC

                  Comment


                  • BTW, Could'nt get the Spar Urethane outdoor water based at Home Depot, so ordered it from Amazon a week ago (satin, semi-gloss and gloss). Amazon just sent me a notice that UPS damaged the shipment and is returning it to Amazon and they will credit me. So I just ordered them from Zoro, should have done that to begin with. Free shipping and never had a problem with Zoro.
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FlightLine-F4 Phantom, F-4 Blue Angel, 1600mm Corsair & Spitfire, Olive & Silver B-24, Stinger 90. Extreme Flight-Slick 60, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, 62" MXS Green, 62" Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair, Red Bull Edge. E-Flite-2-Beast 60's, P2 Bi-Plane, Yak 54, 2-P-51's, Apprentice, 2-Super Cubs w/Floats. Spare Parts for each plane to crash at least 3 times-I need them.

                    Comment


                    • WRT minwax I get the satin in a spray can, apply dusty to keep the gloss down and blend everything, 2-3 light coats works best. The dusty texture helps to hide the foam and blend the decals.
                      rc flyin addict

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Pheonix View Post
                        Will 91% alcohol break the paint? I think it will. If you are going to repaint the plane, then, it does not matter. I tried to coat my new F4U with minwax and had an awful time getting it to stick. I had to sand it down using various grits of paper before I got a finish I could live with. I think it took at least 4 coats and sanding between each coat before reached a point of acceptable finish. What help was sanding and then using the spray tape and sanding again and using a foam brush. This is the very first time I had this issue. There was oil somewhere on the finish. The plane looks really nice now and I will leave good enough alone.
                        Acetone will break the paint fairly quickly. 91% alcohol isn't as aggressive.

                        In general I wipe a model down with alcohol wipes then paint directly over the factory paint without any sanding or primer. However, certain paints will prefer light sanding to give more "bite". Vallejo's line of 2-in-1 primers works really well in my experience.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post

                          Acetone will break the paint fairly quickly. 91% alcohol isn't as aggressive.

                          In general I wipe a model down with alcohol wipes then paint directly over the factory paint without any sanding or primer. However, certain paints will prefer light sanding to give more "bite". Vallejo's line of 2-in-1 primers works really well in my experience.
                          Like medical alcohol wipes?

                          Comment


                          • Anyone else have the problem with the Minwax poly spraying out blobs every now and again ? I have tried shaking can for ever, heating can in hot water, leaving can in sun (Florida) and does not solve. I usually spray by starting, making the pass and stopping. Continual spraying does not work any better. Nozzle is clean. Getting nervous now when I start. If quick can wipe away these blobs but ————. Finding brushing is the safer option lately. Applies to any sheen level.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post
                              Great thread. I bought Minwax MATTE from walmart and I be darn if it still has a shine to it.

                              I did notice when it came to putting it on color reds I had to apply it heavy and then spread it out, had to keep the brush (foam) soaked


                              I want to try Varathane matte, know any where to get it that is not a gallon?
                              Trying using an airbrush it will give you a flatter finish.

                              Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post

                                Trying using an airbrush it will give you a flatter finish.

                                Grossman56
                                Wonder why that is? I don’t have a air bush like use for detailing but I do have a hvlp gun. I bought some
                                of the spar utherne that people mention have better results.

                                Comment


                                • I never have good luck using the spray cans. I prefer brushing it on with a fine bristle or foam brush.
                                  Pat

                                  Comment


                                  • From my experience, I've found that a brush will give you a glossier finish and an Air Brush will give you a duller finish. Probably something to do with blasting it on with air, but I'm not sure, I only know that its true.

                                    Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by Russ View Post

                                      I've been using Minwax for years on my foamies, thanks for the tip, I'll try it. Never thought of using it as a primer...nice!
                                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Dominion Sure Seal Instant Clear Coat.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	184662 You can find this product in the US. It's used in Automotive restoration. I've used quite a few cans. It's formulated as a 2-part product in a 1-part application. No Isocyanates! I coated a Dynam P47 with it and it dried crystal clear and a really hard, UV resistant finish. It has a strong smell like bubble gum. Truth is, any product with a Skull and Crossbones symbol will really do the job! Which is to say unfortunately that "Bad Is Good !"...

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                        From my experience, I've found that a brush will give you a glossier finish and an Air Brush will give you a duller finish. Probably something to do with blasting it on with air, but I'm not sure, I only know that its true.

                                        Grossman56
                                        Hey Grossman..Have seen you on here a ton and I know you have 2 or 3 FMS P51's. I had to buy a new fuse for my Redtail , got it all back together, and the freakin canopy will not lock down. Somewhere about the middle it feels like its pushing on something. I cut foam and cut foam then trimmed some more with no luck. The BB Doll canopy will not go on it either and the Redtail one that I am using snaps right on to the BB Doll. An ideas? The planes are set up exactly the same, receiver in the same spot et. So I know its not hitting on the RX. I cant find the issue anywhere...wondering if the fuse is screwed up but I cant find where..it's freakin brand new ! Did FMS change something you know of?

                                        Comment


                                        • Boy, that's a tough one, the only thing I can think of to do is to paint the bottom and sides of the hatch (I gather that what you're referring to is the whole hatch and not just the canopy) push it home and see where the paint is disturbed. Other than that, I really haven't any alternative. Hope that will at least show you where its hanging up.

                                          Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X