The Definitive A-10 Thunderbolt II - Pre-Order Today!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refinish EPO foam

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refinish EPO foam

i have a Freewing SU 35 I'd like to refinish and was wondering if a thin coat of west epoxy on the foam would seal the cells and potentially reduce dents, dings and cell expansion from the sun.
    Thanks
    john

Originally posted by Jpahemi1 View Post
    i have a Freewing SU 35 I'd like to refinish and was wondering if a thin coat of west epoxy on the foam would seal the cells and potentially reduce dents, dings and cell expansion from the sun.
    Thanks
    john
    I believe you'll like using this a lot better than the epoxy John.
    https://www.motionrc.com/collections...g-compound-8oz
    Warbird Charlie

ScaleTech OV-10 Bronco; HSD A1 Skyraider; FlightLine: F7F-2D, P-38 Allied Green, Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, Stuka, P-51 Marie, F4U Olathe, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1500 Razor and a Fox glider; Freewing: A-10 Biggun(WHERE IS IT??), A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39, JU-52; LX PBJ-1(B-25); Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco, Catalina; Phoenix: Spitfire, Dauntless; Maxford Antonov AN-2; Starmax L-4 Grasshopper; Eflite 1100 T-28 float; Tech1 P40; DTFB DR-1; Sonic Modell Pitts Python

Comment

Hi OV10 your right on the money with that suggestion epoxy just adds allot of weight that you do not want. I just tried this stuff on a 3d printed hanger9 j3 cowl. it did the trick. The secret is use then layers at a time. I do suggest to sand it between layers it sands a whole lot easier. Once you paint it use the beacon hobby coat it will seal the paint and goes on easy agan thin coats. https://www.motionrc.com/collections...hobby-coat-4oz

Comment

Thanks I'll give that a try.

Comment

Modge podge at 16 oz for the same price as beacon hobby coat at 4 oz. I cant tell a difference between the two. Modge Podge is sold at hobby lobbys or Amazon. I think Walmart carries it to. Or, you can use clear art-resin epoxy that will not yellow in the sun. I have used it on my 1700mm planes and my 1450mm gunfghter. It works really good. My application skills are not that good though. But, I mixed it up and slightly thinned it with alcohol then used a foam brush to apply it. You have about a 30 minute window when you mix it. To do it over again, I think I would have got a really good airbrush that would spray it and did it section at a time.

Comment

This method might also be of interest to you: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...bird-realistic. Planning on trying it out soon on my Lander T-33.

Comment

Originally posted by benjack71 View Post
              Modge podge at 16 oz for the same price as beacon hobby coat at 4 oz. I cant tell a difference between the two. Modge Podge is sold at hobby lobbys or Amazon. I think Walmart carries it to. Or, you can use clear art-resin epoxy that will not yellow in the sun. I have used it on my 1700mm planes and my 1450mm gunfghter. It works really good. My application skills are not that good though. But, I mixed it up and slightly thinned it with alcohol then used a foam brush to apply it. You have about a 30 minute window when you mix it. To do it over again, I think I would have got a really good airbrush that would spray it and did it section at a time.
              Ben........you peaked my interest on this Mod Podge so I went perusing the web and there is a gazillion different varieties.
              What variety exactly are you referring to in this brand that replicates what the Beacon does??
              Warbird Charlie

ScaleTech OV-10 Bronco; HSD A1 Skyraider; FlightLine: F7F-2D, P-38 Allied Green, Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, Stuka, P-51 Marie, F4U Olathe, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1500 Razor and a Fox glider; Freewing: A-10 Biggun(WHERE IS IT??), A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39, JU-52; LX PBJ-1(B-25); Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco, Catalina; Phoenix: Spitfire, Dauntless; Maxford Antonov AN-2; Starmax L-4 Grasshopper; Eflite 1100 T-28 float; Tech1 P40; DTFB DR-1; Sonic Modell Pitts Python

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Ben........you peaked my interest on this Mod Podge so I went perusing the web and there is a gazillion different varieties.
                What variety exactly are you referring to in this brand that replicates what the Beacon does??
                Sorry for late reply. Have not been on in awhile. This is the stuff I have used. I do not if you remember seeing my HSD Sky Raider last year at nefi, but it had a couple coats of podge on it.
                http://www.michaels.com/mod-podge-matte/M10047539.html

I think I got it at hobby lobby or walmart. I can not remember. I just linked the first one I found to show you which kind I got

Comment

Originally posted by benjack71 View Post

Sorry for late reply. Have not been on in awhile. This is the stuff I have used. I do not if you remember seeing my HSD Sky Raider last year at nefi, but it had a couple coats of podge on it.
                  http://www.michaels.com/mod-podge-matte/M10047539.html

I think I got it at hobby lobby or walmart. I can not remember. I just linked the first one I found to show you which kind I got
                  Better late than never, thanx
                  That's exactly the stuff I snagged at Walmart a couple weeks ago but haven't tried it out yet cause I've been busy finishing up some mechanical mods.
                  Warbird Charlie

Comment

Interesting stuff, are you saying that it will make the foam cells disappear??

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                      Interesting stuff, are you saying that it will make the foam cells disappear??

Grossman56
                      Naww, it will just put a protective clear coat over it. Its not a filler. But, you could paint over it, so I guess it would make the texture smooth so you could then put a coat of paint over it and that would hide the cells. If that makes sense.

Comment

As you might have guessed, I'm a big fan of Varathane, however I'm going to try this. I've seen mod podge in stores for years. Always thought it was something little old blue haired ladies used on there craft projects. I'm concerned that it might not hold up outside. Doc

Comment

I used good old latex house paint to hide the cells on the Pitts. Put it over the white on the Pitts and the Waco and it worked well, might be a good base from which to paint from.

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

I used Styro Spray 1000 on my Hellcat and B-17. It basically is a two part plastic. It doesn't sand, but it does fill the foam cells if you put on more the two coats. It also adds weight. It added about 24 grams to my Hellcat fuselage alone.
                            Last edited by quitcherbitchen; 05-18-2017, 12:39 PM. Reason: added a picture

Comment

Where did you buy the styro spray 1000? I wonder if this product is similar to liquid sheeting?

Comment

I thought I had found the holy grail of lamination foam with the 1000, the weight just compromised too much performance. I now use Oracal for all my birds, keeps a fresh sheen for years with scratch abrasion protection and adds measurable structural strength.

Comment

Can u tell me more about oracal. What's the full name so I can search it

Comment

I'm going to assume CT is referring to Oracal vinyl film. I have used it on several planes and I have been very happy with the results. The 751 series film adds 10 to 18 grams per square foot. It is a peel and stick film that is used in sign making and wrapping vehicles.

I used it originally to hide the foam cells on some of my early foam planes. I discovered it also protects the foam from day to day bumps and my less than perfect landings. I have become a big fan of wrapping foam planes with this or similar films.

There is a learning curve to using it, but once you have played with it a bit, it is pretty easy to wrap an entire plane in a week of evenings.

If you Google Oracal 751 by the foot you will find vendors that will sell you just what you need, so you don't have to buy an entire roll if you just need a little to do a plane.

The three examples I am attaching are all wrapped with Oracal 751. I do not sense a noticeable decrease in performance due to the weight of the wrap.

This may not be a solution for you, it is just another of many options we have.

Jim

Comment

That looks pretty good wvrailfan.

Comment

Its a great film to work with, I tried some on MY Little Gall II that WV sent me, thanks again for the sample!!

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                        X